joh408's Longterm Quest for Fitness - AnabolicMinds.com - Page 2

joh408's Longterm Quest for Fitness

Page 2 of 28 First 12347 ... Last
  1. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

Stop letting yo mama cook dinner! LoL! Moms will always mess up a diet trying to fat'n their kids up. Give mom a rest and help lean her out while you are maintaining a healthy eating lifestyle. She'll love you for it

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Nooshefx View Post
    Stop letting yo mama cook dinner! LoL! Moms will always mess up a diet trying to fat'n their kids up. Give mom a rest and help lean her out while you are maintaining a healthy eating lifestyle. She'll love you for it
    Haha I cook dinner for them once a week. She tries to be healthy but I don't know macros and I don't have the food scale so I try to eye ball it. Hasn't been too bad but still I like being in control of my meals. I do feel bad when she cooks something and I have to tell her I'm not gonna eat it
    Justin
    Instagram: justin_ohara9
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/231863-joh408s-longterm-quest.html
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Knocked out some squats, OHP, deads, rows, dips and hanging leg raises

Squats: 5x5 @ 235
    OHP: 5x5 @ 95
    Deads: 3x5 @ 225
    Rows: 5x5 @ 135
    Dips: 3x8 @ BW
    Hanging Leg Raises: 3x10 @ BW

Warmed up with LISS on the bike. Finished up with some HIIT
    Justin
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/231863-joh408s-longterm-quest.html
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  180 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by joh408 View Post
    Knocked out some squats, OHP, deads, rows, dips and hanging leg raises

Squats: 5x5 @ 235
    OHP: 5x5 @ 95
    Deads: 3x5 @ 225
    Rows: 5x5 @ 135
    Dips: 3x8 @ BW
    Hanging Leg Raises: 3x10 @ BW

Warmed up with LISS on the bike. Finished up with some HIIT
    All the big compound movements....full body work out. Looking good bro, love that kind of work outs.
    Olympus labs Rep
    Olympus Labs, a line of products that will turn men into demigods.
    visit us at: olympus-labs.com
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by edje007 View Post
    All the big compound movements....full body work out. Looking good bro, love that kind of work outs.
    I loved it. Got some more volume in and it didn't take too much longer since I was around the rack for most of it. Plus I kept my rest times short so it was a great workout.
    Justin
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

Body is back to looking good since I took some time off for my vacation, lacrosse tournament and injury. Quick rebound. Played hockey last night for my other mens league team. Gonna try to hit the gym a little later today
    Justin
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

Oh ya forgot to add, I recieved my Finaflex Ignite2 today! Thanks to all of Finaflex for the new preworkout. Can't wait to try it out!
    Justin
  8. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  180 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Oh ya forgot to add, I recieved my Finaflex Ignite2 today! Thanks to all of Finaflex for the new preworkout. Can't wait to try it out!
    Ignite 2 is very nice. Smooth energy, focus and sence of well being.
    I like it a lot.

Soon we'll have a new pre work out that is more a stimm kind of pre work out. Bigger bang so to say. Will be called stimul8.

Beta testing seems to be going very well, so can't wait to try it myself.

Both the ignite 2 and the new pwo stimul8 have there place.

Like I said, ignite2 is very smooth and clean, no crash what so ever!!! You can take it every day if you like.

Enjoy the ride my friend
    Olympus labs Rep
  9. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

Training is still going solid sir. I also received a tub of Ignite, and I prefer the less stim versions of Pre's. Sooo what did yo mom's cook for dinner? I'm going to give you a hard time about this until we see some proof you made your own!
  10. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  180 lbs.

Training is still going solid sir. I also received a tub of Ignite, and I prefer the less stim versions of Pre's. Sooo what did yo mom's cook for dinner? I'm going to give you a hard time about this until we see some proof you made your own!
    I wished my mom cooked for me. She never has....my wife sometimes, but most of the time I cook dinner

Atleast it tastes good
    Olympus labs Rep
  11. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

Sorry for the lack of updates guys. Been busy moving, finishing summer classes and dealing with some issues. I've only hit the gym about 6 times in the past 3 weeks but I'm getting back into the swing of things.

Yesterday's lift:
    Bench 5x5 @ 155
    Row 5x5 @155
    Squat 5x5 @ 245
    Tricep pull downs 5x10 @ 40
    Roman Chair Knee Raises 5x10

Today's lift:
    Squat 4x5 @ 225
    4 reps 275 had to bail on the 5th rep
    OHP 5x5 @ 95
    Deadlift 5x225 5x275 3x315
    Face pulls 4x5 @ 40 5x50

Weight is up to 175 but its not much muscle I think. Getting diet in check and finding which macros will work best
    Justin
  12. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  180 lbs.

Hey bro....glad you're back...hope all the issues have been dealt with....time for some muscle building!!!
    Olympus labs Rep
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

Thanks man. Time to crank it into high gear. I think I'm picking up a bar and some weights either today or tomorrow. Not sure if I wanna go with 275lbs or 325lbs of weight. It's about a $25 difference
    Justin
  14. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  180 lbs.

Thanks man. Time to crank it into high gear. I think I'm picking up a bar and some weights either today or tomorrow. Not sure if I wanna go with 275lbs or 325lbs of weight. It's about a $25 difference
    If the difference is only $25,(and if you can afford it) I would go for the heavier one. Something to grow into

Good to have you back bro
    Olympus labs Rep
  15. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  193 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

If the difference is only $25,(and if you can afford it) I would go for the heavier one. Something to grow into

Good to have you back bro
    I saw dicks having a sale, bar + 300lbs for 200$... I was thinking of buying it for a little home lifting.
  16. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

I'm gonna have to try to find that. I thought bar + 325 lbs of weights for $230 would be a pretty good deal. Was that in your paper or did you see it online?
    Justin
  17. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  180 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by EatMoar View Post

I saw dicks having a sale, bar + 300lbs for 200$... I was thinking of buying it for a little home lifting.
    I think I would have to pay a lot more for that here in holland.
    Olympus labs Rep
  18. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

I think I would have to pay a lot more for that here in holland.
    I've been looking for good deals for awhile and then this guy happens to have 6 oly bars and 6 different sets of plates. Gonna check em out on Monday.
    Justin
  19. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

No lift today. Been building a shed to store my dads tools. Should be done by tomorrow
    Justin
  20. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

Squat 5x5@245
    Bench 5x5@155
    Row 5x5@155

Didn't move up the weight but I felt good today
    Justin
  21. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

Still working at it. The 5x5 training looks so odd to me for some reason. How long does it take for you to finish?
  22. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

Still working at it. The 5x5 training looks so odd to me for some reason. How long does it take for you to finish?
    Doesn't take me long at all. Probably in and out in about 40-50 minutes depending on how many warmup sets I do or how long my rest is. Usually my rest is my buddy's set of 5 so 30 seconds to a minute. Today it took 40 minutes for squat, ohp and deads
    Justin
  23. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

Squat 5x5 @ 250
    OHP 5x5 @ 100
    Deads 3x5 @ 275

Tweaked my back a little so hopefully with a bit of heat and ice it'll be fine
    Justin
  24. New Member

What weight do you use for 5x5?
    Is it correct to use something that would be in the 7-8 reps for failure?
  25. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by smike View Post
    I'm doing the Stronglifts 5x5 so I started at 1/2 of my 5RM which was pretty low but squatting 3 times a week adding 5 pounds each time will get numbers higher quickly. If you have a decent base then I would start at a weight you can do 8-10 reps. By the 5th set you should be pretty gassed but still have a little more in the tank. Then the next time you do the exercise add 5 pounds.
    Justin
  26. New Member

Thanks. When i get bored of 5/3/1 i'll give it a try.
  27. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

I was doing 5/3/1 before this and I think I'm gonna go back to 5/3/1 this winter. I want to try out some of the extra programming in Beyond 5/3/1
    Justin
  28. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by smike View Post
    Well, there are a few ways to set up 5x5's, but simple straight forward is easy in the beginning and probably best starting out. You'll most likely count the 2 warmup sets (say the MT bar x10 and a weighted x5, then do 3 work sets of x5. I know it sounds easy at first, (and can be somewhat) but as the cycle goes on, it gets heavier and harder and slowly builds over time. You can make the work sets 5x5 but starting out, you might want to ease in slower, especially with say squats and especially deads maybe. 3x5 work sets can be enough.
    You want to start pretty light and have the 5th rep of the 5th set doable to a point where you could do quite a bit more. As the weeks months go on, you add say a #5 a week (on the smaller stuff maybe BP's and rows) and maybe #5-#10 on say squats or deads. By week 6-8-10 say, you wanna be working pretty hard and be using some good effort.

Personally, the problem with pushing to failure (say on BP's, since not many people will do that with squats or deads) is, you are not able to build much momentum if you keep pushing yourself to the limits every W/O. It is better to start at a modest 60%-70% of what you could do for a set of hard x5RM and keep adding weight over the weeks/months. You body slowly gets used to more and more volume and higher and higher intensities without rebelling. By the end of a 10 or 12 week cycle, you will be pushing quite hard to get all the reps and sets, instead of burning out early by constantly pushing the sets to failure. Eat enough good food too.
  29. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBlack View Post
    Well, there are a few ways to set up 5x5's, but simple straight forward is easy in the beginning and probably best starting out. You'll most likely count the 2 warmup sets (say the MT bar x10 and a weighted x5, then do 3 work sets of x5. I know it sounds easy at first, (and can be somewhat) but as the cycle goes on, it gets heavier and harder and slowly builds over time. You can make the work sets 5x5 but starting out, you might want to ease in slower, especially with say squats and especially deads maybe. 3x5 work sets can be enough.
    You want to start pretty light and have the 5th rep of the 5th set doable to a point where you could do quite a bit more. As the weeks months go on, you add say a #5 a week (on the smaller stuff maybe BP's and rows) and maybe #5-#10 on say squats or deads. By week 6-8-10 say, you wanna be working pretty hard and be using some good effort.

Personally, the problem with pushing to failure (say on BP's, since not many people will do that with squats or deads) is, you are not able to build much momentum if you keep pushing yourself to the limits every W/O. It is better to start at a modest 60%-70% of what you could do for a set of hard x5RM and keep adding weight over the weeks/months. You body slowly gets used to more and more volume and higher and higher intensities without rebelling. By the end of a 10 or 12 week cycle, you will be pushing quite hard to get all the reps and sets, instead of burning out early by constantly pushing the sets to failure. Eat enough good food too.
    Good call Paul. I was just laying out the way I am going about it. My buddy has done 5x5 similar to the one you laid out. I forgot to add on mine I always warm up with bar and then like 50% and 75% of work weight
    Justin
  30. New Member

Thanks guys. I'm in the fourth cycle of 531 and so far i'm enjoying it. When i get bored of it sometime in the winter i'll probably do some kind of 5x5.
  31. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

First organic chemistry class and were talking about testosterone, 5a-test, dht and finasteride. Might like this class. Also sat next to a kid who trying to be a bodybuilder and a girl who competes in bikini. Pretty cool talking to them about prep and all that stuff
    Justin
  32. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  180 lbs.

First organic chemistry class and were talking about testosterone, 5a-test, dht and finasteride. Might like this class. Also sat next to a kid who trying to be a bodybuilder and a girl who competes in bikini. Pretty cool talking to them about prep and all that stuff
    Sounds like a good class
    Olympus labs Rep
  33. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

Sounds like a good class
    Ya man I think it will be. Plus I set my schedule up so I can lift at 9am every morning. Gonna be a great semester
    Justin
  34. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

Got a great chest tris and back workout in today. Made some bomb chicken stir fry for dinner too. Good day today. Got some legs shoulders and deads tomorrow morning
    Justin
  35. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

Squat 255x5x5
    Deadlift 225x5 300x5
    Instead of OHP I did 6 ways and smoked my shoulders. Damn those are tough
    Justin
  36. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

Squat 260x5x5
    Bench 170x5x5
    Row 170x5x5
    Standing skull crushers 45x5x2 65x5x2

Great pump and energy from ignite2 and hemavol. Wild watermelon isn't the best flavor tho but mixed with lemon drop hemavol and a lot of water it does just fine. Only problem is I go to class and get a nice sweat going walking a mile.
    Justin
  37. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

I'm thinking of a switch to 5/3/1 with the new principles lined up in Beyond 5/3/1 by Jim Wendler, putting in Joker sets. Either that or PHAT, GVT or FST-7. I want to do a bulk from now to this winter since I know a little bit on how to cut now but I'm not sure if I should go for hypertrophy or strength. Hypertrophy might be better now if I want to bulk and strength for when I am in a caloric deficit. 5/3/1 was awesome for me cutting out 40lbs from November to June while adding a little strength so I might just go back to it. Any thoughts?
    Justin
  38. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

Sorry for the lack of updates. Been focusing a lot on bench lately but not neglecting anything else. I think I'm really close to hitting 2 plates on bench. I gotta max out soon but it's raining so I can't use my backyard gym. Gotta go to the rec center or 24 today
    Justin
  39. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

Good to see you are still at it.
  40. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

Ya man still going at it. Today should be right around 285 5x5 on squat. Hopefully I can nail it. Diet has been suspect but I'm going to tighten it up now
    Justin

Similar Forum Threads

1. .:|:. ZB126's Quest for Total Fitness w/LG .:|:.
    By zb126 in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 08-15-2010, 08:09 PM
  2. Secrets of NASM - a Quest for Certification
    By BodyWizard in forum General Chat
    Replies: 83
    Last Post: 10-29-2007, 08:35 PM
  3. OCCFan023's Quest for Single Digits
    By OCCFan023 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 116
    Last Post: 09-24-2006, 09:56 PM
  4. My quest for 20lbs!