Dead: 507

Current stats:
5'8"
185lbs

joh408

Awards
  • Established
Just a little background:
I joined this website a while back but didn't post up until November 2012. I had gotten lazy with training and diet. I ballooned up to 205 lbs mostly fat and wanted to get in better shape. Reading these forums and actually finding a program to train off of rather than just going to the gym and doing the same exercises (mostly upper body, didn't squat for a year, never deadlifted) has helped tremendously and I have made strides towards my goals I would have never imagined.

November 2012 - 205 lbs

June 2013 - 165 lbs

Now I am working towards dialing in those abs and then come September I will be embarking on my first bulk to try to add some lean mass. This was my first cut so it took a lot longer than most other people who have been in the game for a bit. I still consider it successful as I learned what my body responds to training and diet wise. Looking forward to continuing this pursuit of fitness.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nice work man! That's a pretty big loss for that amount of time. Sounds like you've got some good goals and motivation is definitely there so keep kicking ass!

joh408

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the comments and joining in on my log Nick! Hope to keep this going for a long time

joh408

Awards
  • Established
SL5x5 Week 5 Day A W5DA
Squats 5x5 @ 210 lbs
Bench 5x5 @ 125 lbs
BB Row 5x5 @125

Feeling good. Went to the pool after and just chilled. Watched the game tonight and then hit 24hr for a little cardio

joh408

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for joining! I'll try to keep it as interesting as possible

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nice little weight loss & transformation there from the pics. Good work and simple little routine to focus on.
Remember too, if you are consistently adding weight to your sets over W/O's, (especially those big ones) you should be adding lean mass most likely, especially if you are more of a novice and have gaining room.
And adding mass slowly overtime might be a little more stable and lasting, than thinking bulk, cut, bulk, cut.

joh408

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for joining Paul! Ill definitely be taking it a step at a time. If I continue to keep adding weight on my lifts and add on some muscle mass I am gonna ride that out as long as I can

joh408

Awards
  • Established
SL5x5 W5DB
Squat 5x5 @ 215
OHP 5x5 @ 100
Deadlift 3x5 @145

Thinking about bumping my deadlifts up to around 225 but I'm not sure if that will hinder the slow progress. I was pulling 275x8 while doing 5/3/1 about a month and a half ago so I'm not sure how to go about this.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks for joining Paul! Ill definitely be taking it a step at a time. If I continue to keep adding weight on my lifts and add on some muscle mass I am gonna ride that out as long as I can
You are on the right track with that thinking.
All the best...!

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm in this. Nice fat loss and you're traps are monsters!

joh408

Awards
  • Established
Sorry guys, been away from a computer quite a bit this past weekend so I didn't get to update. Didn't get any lifts in on the weekend but kept up on some cardio, walking/biking around a decent amount. Today I have men's league hockey at 8:30 and then I'm gonna hit the gym after! Oh ya and I won the USPLabs OEProtein/AP contest so I should have that coming in the mail soon. Good thing since I have been using some terrible protein haha. Can't wait to try it out!

Nooshefx

Nooshefx

Awards
  • Established
Sorry guys, been away from a computer quite a bit this past weekend so I didn't get to update. Didn't get any lifts in on the weekend but kept up on some cardio, walking/biking around a decent amount. Today I have men's league hockey at 8:30 and then I'm gonna hit the gym after! Oh ya and I won the USPLabs OEProtein/AP contest so I should have that coming in the mail soon. Good thing since I have been using some terrible protein haha. Can't wait to try it out!
Doing hockey then weights? Over achiever or does hockey not exhaust you?

joh408

Awards
  • Established
It's men's league hockey so it's more for fun than an actual workout. Still go hard but it's not like the season when I go all out.

joh408

Awards
  • Established
Last nights lift:
W6DA:
Squat 5x5 @ 220 lbs
Bench 5x5 @ 130 lbs
Rows 5x5 @ 130 lbs

Weighed in this morning at 169 lbs. Not bad considering my abs are more defined and I've been eating more now. Only supps I am taking right now are Alpha T-2 (old version) twice a day, ALC CLA 2 pills waking and 2 pills before bed, Slinsane v2 before bed and Creatrona. No preworkouts right now. I kinda like not having to take a preworkout drink but will probably resume with Enhanced in a couple lifts since I went through my second tub of Powermax.

joh408

Awards
  • Established
W6DB:
Squat 5x5 @225
OHP 5x5 @100*
Deadlift 3x5 @155
*Didn't feel comfortable going up to 105 after sleeping wrong on my shoulder

Feeling good still. I'll try to update this with pics in the next few days. Gonna be taking a few days off next week for the 4th of July and helping my brother move into his new house in Vail. Might get a lift in Sunday just to keep up pace

joh408

Awards
  • Established
Got a GVT style workout in yesterday. Quick and easy. Supersetted bb bench 10x10 with tricep pushdowns 10x10. Huge pump, felt good. Spent today moving my brother and his friends into their new place. Little bit of labor never hurt. Trying to see if I can workout at a hotel gym where one of them works

edje007

edje007

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Never tried the GVT program. Can imagine the pump to be insane;)

I'll test it next week. Maybe barbell bench press super set with barbell bent over rows.

joh408

Awards
  • Established
Never tried the GVT program. Can imagine the pump to be insane;)

I'll test it next week. Maybe barbell bench press super set with barbell bent over rows.
I think your gonna like it. That's gonna be a killer workout. I love it since its high volume, supersetted so you aren't wasting time and you get a massive pump

edje007

edje007

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think your gonna like it. That's gonna be a killer workout. I love it since its high volume, supersetted so you aren't wasting time and you get a massive pump
I have a full body program at the moment. Just became a father, so I train 2 or 3 times a week at the moment, full body is ok for now.

I 'll try the GVT next week...just to see what it feels like( I have a pretty good idea that it will feel great)

If I remember it correctly it is supposed to be 10sets of 10reps? 2 exercises as superset.

joh408

Awards
  • Established
I have a full body program at the moment. Just became a father, so I train 2 or 3 times a week at the moment, full body is ok for now.

I 'll try the GVT next week...just to see what it feels like( I have a pretty good idea that it will feel great)

If I remember it correctly it is supposed to be 10sets of 10reps? 2 exercises as superset.
Congrats on becoming a father!

Ya it's 10 sets of 10 reps supersetting the 2 exercises. Accessory work is 3 sets of 12 reps supersetting 2 exercises according to an article by Polquin I read awhile back if I remember correctly

edje007

edje007

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Congrats on becoming a father!

Ya it's 10 sets of 10 reps supersetting the 2 exercises. Accessory work is 3 sets of 12 reps supersetting 2 exercises according to an article by Polquin I read awhile back if I remember correctly
Thanks bro...a real life changer;)

Looks like a high volume work out...I'm up for that for the coming month;)

edje007

edje007

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What's up bro.....killed some work outs lately;) ???

joh408

Awards
  • Established
What's up bro.....killed some work outs lately;) ???
Hey man. No killer workouts... Hurt my back playing in a men's lacrosse tournament filling in on my brothers team. Couldn't play in the last game because I couldn't rotate at all my back hurt so bad. I've been resting it today. Gonna try to do some light work tomorrow to test it out

edje007

edje007

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey man. No killer workouts... Hurt my back playing in a men's lacrosse tournament filling in on my brothers team. Couldn't play in the last game because I couldn't rotate at all my back hurt so bad. I've been resting it today. Gonna try to do some light work tomorrow to test it out
Take care and take it easy...you'll be back. on top in no time..

Shame lacrosse isn't a populair game here in europe. Know some students who play it, but it looks nothing like the real game.

joh408

Awards
  • Established
Take care and take it easy...you'll be back. on top in no time..

Shame lacrosse isn't a populair game here in europe. Know some students who play it, but it looks nothing like the real game.
Ya hopefully it's nothing serious. It's feeling better now after some ice and heat treatment.

Lacrosse is a great sport and its gaining popularity in the US. Hopefully that extends to Europe. This tournament is a huge event drawing a lot of the best division 1 NCAA players and some pros. The final today was basically an allstar game. My friends team won in double OT.

Nooshefx

Nooshefx

Awards
  • Established
Get better and take it easy. Back injuries seem to be going around lately.

edje007

edje007

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ya hopefully it's nothing serious. It's feeling better now after some ice and heat treatment.

Lacrosse is a great sport and its gaining popularity in the US. Hopefully that extends to Europe. This tournament is a huge event drawing a lot of the best division 1 NCAA players and some pros. The final today was basically an allstar game. My friends team won in double OT.
Cool...I work as a physical educations teacher at a highschool. Always fun to try new sports, and to get kids in to playing sports.

Kids these days stay at home, behind the xbox and the computer....they should be playing outside....participating in different sports...shame really.

How is your back doing? Hope better...

joh408

Awards
  • Established
Cool...I work as a physical educations teacher at a highschool. Always fun to try new sports, and to get kids in to playing sports.

Kids these days stay at home, behind the xbox and the computer....they should be playing outside....participating in different sports...shame really.

How is your back doing? Hope better...
Ya kids need to gt out more. I remember growing up staying outside after school and in the summer until dinner and then playing until it got dark. I see too many of my friends siblings just staying inside all day.

Back is doing better. Decided to go one more rest day yesterday. Just wasn't feeling up to it and I didn't want to hurt it more.

Today I just did some light bicep, tricep and chest work. Just to get back into the gym. Gonna ease into it and hopefully be back to good by the end of the week.

joh408

Awards
  • Established
Did some volume work today with lighter weights.
Squat 3x10, 2x8
DB Rows 5x10
Face Pulls 5x10
Lat Pulldowns 5x10

Got a nice pump in and back was feeling as good as new. Gonna hit it hard now

edje007

edje007

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Did some volume work today with lighter weights.
Squat 3x10, 2x8
DB Rows 5x10
Face Pulls 5x10
Lat Pulldowns 5x10

Got a nice pump in and back was feeling as good as new. Gonna hit it hard now
Nothing wrong what that....nice pump, and a good test for your next work out...

Good luck.....(don't get too enthousiastic, hurt myself a couple of times when I thought everything was good to go)

Nooshefx

Nooshefx

Awards
  • Established
Good to see you back but be careful. Nice training session on back though, good work on ya first day returning from getting beat up a little bit on the field.

joh408

Awards
  • Established
Ya I know not to rush back. If I feel anything wrong tomorrow ill back off it. No sense in getting more hurt over an extra day or 2 off

joh408

Awards
  • Established
Went heavier today but backed down on OHP.

Squat:
5x5 @ 225
OHP:
5x5 @ 80
Deadlift: 3x5 @ 175

Looks like I'm back in business!
Few pics to upload later from this morning. Looking at them, I'm not as lean I don't think but I think a hard week in the gym next week will have me back to even better

edje007

edje007

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Went heavier today but backed down on OHP.

Squat:
5x5 @ 225
OHP:
5x5 @ 80
Deadlift: 3x5 @ 175

Looks like I'm back in business!
Few pics to upload later from this morning. Looking at them, I'm not as lean I don't think but I think a hard week in the gym next week will have me back to even better
Welcome back big guy!!!!

joh408

Awards
  • Established
Feeling good to go!

Preworkout: 2 scoops Powermax. End of the tub... Dammit. 12g Bulk ModernBCAAs

Started off with 20 min of LISS on the bike waiting for a rack to open while a guy was doing quarter squats.

Squat: 5x5 @ 230
Bench: 5x5 @ 135
Row: 5x5 @ 135

Post workout meal was a pound of roasted chicken with Franks Buffalo sauce.

I might abandon this SL 5x5. I don't feel like I am getting stronger like I did on 5/3/1. Ill run this through July and then reevaluate my programming. Plus the new 5/3/1 book has some interesting stuff I would like to try out.

I have hockey at 730 tonight so that'll be my cardio. I have been slacking on diet being home since my mom cooks dinner and I am not sure all she puts in it. Gotta get back on that grind of tracking meticulously. It works for me and I feel better when I can see my macros and calories. Mental thing I guess

Nooshefx

Nooshefx

Awards
  • Established
Stop letting yo mama cook dinner! LoL! Moms will always mess up a diet trying to fat'n their kids up. Give mom a rest and help lean her out while you are maintaining a healthy eating lifestyle. She'll love you for it

joh408

Awards
  • Established
Stop letting yo mama cook dinner! LoL! Moms will always mess up a diet trying to fat'n their kids up. Give mom a rest and help lean her out while you are maintaining a healthy eating lifestyle. She'll love you for it
Haha I cook dinner for them once a week. She tries to be healthy but I don't know macros and I don't have the food scale so I try to eye ball it. Hasn't been too bad but still I like being in control of my meals. I do feel bad when she cooks something and I have to tell her I'm not gonna eat it

joh408

Awards
  • Established
Knocked out some squats, OHP, deads, rows, dips and hanging leg raises

Squats: 5x5 @ 235
OHP: 5x5 @ 95
Deads: 3x5 @ 225
Rows: 5x5 @ 135
Dips: 3x8 @ BW
Hanging Leg Raises: 3x10 @ BW

Warmed up with LISS on the bike. Finished up with some HIIT

edje007

edje007

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Knocked out some squats, OHP, deads, rows, dips and hanging leg raises

Squats: 5x5 @ 235
OHP: 5x5 @ 95
Deads: 3x5 @ 225
Rows: 5x5 @ 135
Dips: 3x8 @ BW
Hanging Leg Raises: 3x10 @ BW

Warmed up with LISS on the bike. Finished up with some HIIT
All the big compound movements....full body work out. Looking good bro, love that kind of work outs.

joh408

Awards
  • Established
All the big compound movements....full body work out. Looking good bro, love that kind of work outs.
I loved it. Got some more volume in and it didn't take too much longer since I was around the rack for most of it. Plus I kept my rest times short so it was a great workout.

joh408

Awards
  • Established
Body is back to looking good since I took some time off for my vacation, lacrosse tournament and injury. Quick rebound. Played hockey last night for my other mens league team. Gonna try to hit the gym a little later today

joh408

Awards
  • Established
Oh ya forgot to add, I recieved my Finaflex Ignite2 today! Thanks to all of Finaflex for the new preworkout. Can't wait to try it out!

edje007

edje007

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Oh ya forgot to add, I recieved my Finaflex Ignite2 today! Thanks to all of Finaflex for the new preworkout. Can't wait to try it out!
Ignite 2 is very nice. Smooth energy, focus and sence of well being.
I like it a lot.

Soon we'll have a new pre work out that is more a stimm kind of pre work out. Bigger bang so to say. Will be called stimul8.

Beta testing seems to be going very well, so can't wait to try it myself.

Both the ignite 2 and the new pwo stimul8 have there place.

Like I said, ignite2 is very smooth and clean, no crash what so ever!!! You can take it every day if you like.

Enjoy the ride my friend;)

Nooshefx

Nooshefx

Awards
  • Established
Training is still going solid sir. I also received a tub of Ignite, and I prefer the less stim versions of Pre's. Sooo what did yo mom's cook for dinner? I'm going to give you a hard time about this until we see some proof you made your own!

edje007

edje007

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Training is still going solid sir. I also received a tub of Ignite, and I prefer the less stim versions of Pre's. Sooo what did yo mom's cook for dinner? I'm going to give you a hard time about this until we see some proof you made your own!
I wished my mom cooked for me. She never has....my wife sometimes, but most of the time I cook dinner:(

Atleast it tastes good;)