Twice a week weight lifting

sporticuz

sporticuz

Awards
I'm in mma and do hiit training Monday and Friday. Steady state cardio and abs on Tuesday and Thursday. I go to an hour and a half mma class Tuesday Thursday and Friday. Gonna add swimming on Saturdays to heal the joints and muscles. I just need to add a good weight lifting workout on Tuesday and Thursdays to maintain my strength. Anybody have a good set up they would do? Thanks.

sporticuz

sporticuz

Awards
I'm gonna try it tomorrow if I got the gas after class. Lifting doesn't tire me out anymore though but I've missed it a great deal

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm gonna try it tomorrow if I got the gas after class. Lifting doesn't tire me out anymore though but I've missed it a great deal
To do this properly you'll need a 1RM or a calculated 1RM via reps for your dead squat bench and press...The "5/3/1" sets are all sub maximal percentages of your 1RM -%10. So, it'll take a bit more reading possibly. I'm partial to 5/3/1 anything just because it's stupid easy and works. Other people may chime in with some good/better ideas.

sporticuz

sporticuz

Awards
Ok I'll get it all set up this week then. See if its gonna work. Sounds easy and quick enough. I'm open to any new idea.

Aryon

Aryon

Awards
I'd just do one upper body day, and one lower. Heavy compounds movements will do the trick.

sporticuz

sporticuz

Awards
I'd just do one upper body day, and one lower. Heavy compounds movements will do the trick.
To many compound movements will slow me down though. Unless I do them in a power form. Like squatting with moderate weight and jumping at the top.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
To many compound movements will slow me down though. Unless I do them in a power form. Like squatting with moderate weight and jumping at the top.
Not necessarily, and too much steady state cardio can slow you down too by actually decreasing power output.

Keep in mind that power is a function of strength and speed. If you look at a single muscle fiber, it comes down to this: power = total tension developed X rate of contraction. As you increase your strength, you will increase your power up to a certain point. How strong do you need to be? Recent studies suggest that for optimal power development you should be able to squat > 2x body weight.

I think your concern should be adding too much muscle mass and moving up in weight class (if you compete). If this is the case then you should limit your volume, which if training is only occurring twice per week will be limited anyways.

sporticuz

sporticuz

Awards
I'm pretty strong already for my weight. My fear is if I increase my muscle endurance and since I'm doing a lot of hiit training that I'm gonna suffer and lose a lot of strength.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Exactly. I am not sure your level of conditioning, but there isn't anything steady state about MMA fighting, and with practices, you probably can cut out those two steady state cardio training.

If you have two days a week to train with weights, make day one a dynamic full body days (lower reps, lower weight, and focus on the speed of movement) and day two a strength day (lower reps, heavy weight, longer rest periods).

sporticuz

sporticuz

Awards
Ok so I shouldn't run anymore? I do sprints in my hiit training. But no long runs? Long being 20 25 min.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That would be my advice. Spend that 20-30 minutes instead doing soft tissue and mobility/corrective work. If you are doing it for recovery purposes go for a leisure bike ride or walk as well. Continue with the hill and resisted sprints.

sporticuz

sporticuz

Awards
Okayyy I will take your word for it.... Don't steer me wrong brutha. I don't have a problem with not running that's for sure lol.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There is way too many misconceptions regarding what is effective training for MMA. Running is useful for discipline and weight control, but that's about it. Compound movements are not going to make you slow; they're going to make you stronger and will be able to move submaximal resistance (e.g. your opponent) faster. You should be doing mobility work as is so that base is already covered. That being said, 2x/week isn't going to be optimal for weight training for MMA.

sporticuz

sporticuz

Awards
There is way too many misconceptions regarding what is effective training for MMA. Running is useful for discipline and weight control, but that's about it. Compound movements are not going to make you slow; they're going to make you stronger and will be able to move submaximal resistance (e.g. your opponent) faster. You should be doing mobility work as is so that base is already covered. That being said, 2x/week isn't going to be optimal for weight training for MMA.
See that's where your point comes in that there are mixed opinions cause that's all my mma coach told me to do. I mean he isn't a personal trainer or anything but everyone has their own opinion. I'm just trying to put it all together I guess.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
See that's where your point comes in that there are mixed opinions cause that's all my mma coach told me to do. I mean he isn't a personal trainer or anything but everyone has their own opinion. I'm just trying to put it all together I guess.
IME, MMA coaches are very, very uneducated when it comes to putting together an optimal template based upon the fighters strengths and weaknesses and most fall into the archaic myths that stem from boxing (e.g. weight training makes you slow).

sporticuz

sporticuz

Awards
Yeah that's his opinion to a point. His suggestion is setting up like five exercises ei bench squat deadlift bent row and power clean. And doing ten reps back to back for 25 min.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah that's his opinion to a point. His suggestion is setting up like five exercises ei bench squat deadlift bent row and power clean. And doing ten reps back to back for 25 min.
That alone shows how little he knows about template design. For starters, power cleans shouldn't bee done for more than 5 reps per set and damn sure should not be done in a fatigued state.

sporticuz

sporticuz

Awards
Ok I gotcha. I have one question though. To increase punching endurance would a circuit once a week that includes landmines some sort of lat exercise and plyo push-ups suffice?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ok I gotcha. I have one question though. To increase punching endurance would a circuit once a week that includes landmines some sort of lat exercise and plyo push-ups suffice?
WTF is punching endurance? You need overall conditioning for MMA. Worry about your technique and power transfer as that's what's going to make you a more efficient fighter and, ergo, be able to strike more frequently.

If you want to be better at a particular skill (like striking), then the best way to do that is to practice it and very frequently.

sporticuz

sporticuz

Awards
Well I just know that you can be gassed cardio wise but if your muscles aren't fatigued you still have that punching power there. I'm just going off of what my coach says btw. I take his experience to account but at the same time I'm a personal trainer myself and some of the stuff goes against what I know to be true.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well I just know that you can be gassed cardio wise but if your muscles aren't fatigued you still have that punching power there. I'm just going off of what my coach says btw. I take his experience to account but at the same time I'm a personal trainer myself and some of the stuff goes against what I know to be true.
If you're gassed, your power output/frequency is going to be lowered. You can still throw a power shot while fatigued, but it will be slower, sloppier, and less frequent. I think you have a great misconception on endurance for MMA.

Here's an example: let's take a box jump. In a non-fatigued state, you be able to jump higher and with a smaller rest interval compared to a fatigued state. Striking is similar in that there is an optimal technique and power output is closely related to keeping this technique. This is why it's so important to not have wasted motion while striking and to stay loose.

sporticuz

sporticuz

Awards
Like I said when it comes to mma I've just really been listening to my coach. So what do you think I should do? I train 3 times a week. Do very hiit circuits 2 times a week. Lift two times a week. Steady state cardio twice a week and do heavy bag training two to three times a week. What would you change in that

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Like I said when it comes to mma I've just really been listening to my coach. So what do you think I should do? I train 3 times a week. Do very hiit circuits 2 times a week. Lift two times a week. Steady state cardio twice a week and do heavy bag training two to three times a week. What would you change in that
Without knowing your overall work capacity, experience, fighting style, etc., I can't make an educated decision.

sporticuz

sporticuz

Awards
I gotcha. Well thanks for the info. Ill see if I can implement some of your thoughts into my workout.

Mr.Sinister

Mr.Sinister

Awards
  • Established
5-3-1 on the two day template. If you want conditioning ideas I can lay some out. I've had good success or try looking up Martin Rooney and his book "Training for Warriors". I use a bunch of his stuff, especially the hurricane workout. Best bang for the buck if you are a layman fighter with limited time.

sporticuz

sporticuz

Awards
Well I have routine Mondays and Fridays. I need something on Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday that will improve muscle endurance at the same time as maintaining strength and adding power. I just can't figure a way to do that. I have to get down to 145 at the same time. I'm currently 157

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well I have routine Mondays and Fridays. I need something on Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday that will improve muscle endurance at the same time as maintaining strength and adding power. I just can't figure a way to do that. I have to get down to 145 at the same time. I'm currently 157
You're already at weight. 12lbs is nothing considering you're not depleted.

sporticuz

sporticuz

Awards
Yeah I've come from 175. So it's just nail biting I guess