calorie restricted training routines

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
i see alot of threads asking about "what workout is best for losing fat". most advanced enthusiasts will respond with "get your diet in check brah" but for the sake of this thread lets assume nutrition isnt an issue. i myself have decide to use a routine for the remainder of my cal restricted diet and have a few in mind.
what are some your favorites...

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
i dont see a need to change the program when cutting. IMO if you need to then your program could have been better.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
alot of people choose a strength based routine when restricting cals....nothing wrong with what ive been doing, just wanna switch it up...

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
alot of people choose a strength based routine when restricting cals....nothing wrong with what ive been doing, just wanna switch it up...
The only problem with changing your routine is if you don't use the muscle you lose it. You want to have the same routine but be as strong as before the cut after your done at least to keep the gains. In theory atleast. Keeping the same allows you to track this. You CAN however experience strenght gains. I like to do 5x5 when I'm cutting on compound moves and 4 sets of 10 to 12 on assistance work.

But ...its really about what works for you. I like getting strong in a cut so that's why I do 5x5. Goal related and all.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
The only problem with changing your routine is if you don't use the muscle you lose it. You want to have the same routine but be as strong as before the cut after your done at least to keep the gains. In theory atleast. You CAN however experience strenght gains. I like to do 5x5 when I'm cutting on compound moves and 4 sets of 10 to 12 on assistance work.

But ...its really about what works for you. I like getting strong in a cut so that's why I do 5x5. Goal related and all.
thats basically what im looking at doing...curious as to why id stop using a particular muscle by changing routines? all core/compound movements with effect major and minor groups and with acc work all muscles would be directly worked

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
thats basically what im looking at doing...
5x5 weighted pull ups makes me feel like a bad ass LOL! Always nice to feel in a cut

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i dont see a need to change the program when cutting. IMO if you need to then your program could have been better.
With his ^ thinking.

It is pretty apparent that the best muscle building is done with loads around 80% of a 1RM, using multi sets, which allows on average 5-8 reps.
If you are going to cut and want to keep or retain as much strength as possible, (or even build it depending on what level a lifter you are?) lose the extra BW as slowly as possible to keep as much lean mass as you can. #1=#2 pounds a week perhaps. Since it is said, that when you drop weight, you are going to lose a bit of both, but slower BW loss, pushes the loss more towards adipose tissue, instead of lean/meat.
That said, I can also see changing up to perhaps a little higher reps for a change of pace, but not necessarily for specific gains losses when dieting out.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
With his ^ thinking.

It is pretty apparent that the best muscle building is done with loads around 80% of a 1RM, using multi sets, which allows on average 5-8 reps.
If you are going to cut and want to keep or retain as much strength as possible, (or even build it depending on what level a lifter you are?) lose the extra BW as slowly as possible to keep as much lean mass as you can. #1=#2 pounds a week perhaps. Since it is said, that when you drop weight, you are going to lose a bit of both, but slower BW loss, pushes the loss more towards adipose tissue, instead of lean/meat.
That said, I can also see changing up to perhaps a little higher reps for a change of pace, but not necessarily for specific gains losses when dieting out.
right, the question wasnt for my personal knowledge but more so an insight to wat everyone else does....my training is fine

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
right, the question wasnt for my personal knowledge but more so an insight to wat everyone else does....my training is fine
Plus. What works for one person may not work for others. Some actually get more size out of strenght training vs hypertrophy training. Myself? Hypertrophy whore. Someone else? That's up to them and what works for their body

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
This is a good question. Whilst I agree with retaining the same routine I do wonder whether this may be too much for the body when calorie restricted, especially as the weeks wear on. Do you not run the risk of overtraining....lately I have been experiencing this and had to take a few days off from training.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't change a thing lifting wise when I cut calories. If you change the stimulus that got you the base, you run the risk of losing some of the hypertrophy that was achieved.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I tend not to change much. I stay lean so I go pretty slow when I "cut", but towards the very end if recovery is becoming compromised I may lower frequency/volume.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
ive noticed my recovery is suffering lately, im going to increase cals by a few hundred

LiveToLift

LiveToLift

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i see alot of threads asking about "what workout is best for losing fat". most advanced enthusiasts will respond with "get your diet in check brah" but for the sake of this thread lets assume nutrition isnt an issue. i myself have decide to use a routine for the remainder of my cal restricted diet and have a few in mind.
what are some your favorites...
Hvac. I utilize supersets and trisets in a circuit style layout. It will shred you up so quick. I've shown very obvious changes in a short time while not doing any cardio at all. I have been at a cab deficit a few days a week though. Circuits alone will burn the fat right off.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Or maybe take a few days off?
funny thing is my legs recover fine, my chest from wednesday is still sore but i think i may have had a little too much volume

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Hvac. I utilize supersets and trisets in a circuit style layout. It will shred you up so quick. I've shown very obvious changes in a short time while not doing any cardio at all. I have been at a cab deficit a few days a week though. Circuits alone will burn the fat right off.
i love circuits and gvt.....

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
funny thing is my legs recover fine, my chest from wednesday is still sore but i think i may have had a little too much volume
you can still workout on a sore muscle. soreness does not mean you had a good workout nor does it mean you should not workout again.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
you can still workout on a sore muscle. soreness does not mean you had a good workout nor does it mean you should not workout again.
i know, it just seems once i went into a deficient my chest recovery lacks...

Aryon

Aryon

Awards
For me, I'll do whatever is best to build muscle, whether in a caloric restricted state or surplus. I feel what puts the muscle there is what's going to keep it there