calorie restricted training routines

  1. Registered User
    hvactech's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    goose creek, sc
    Posts
    9,340
    Rep Power
    2533509

    calorie restricted training routines


    i see alot of threads asking about "what workout is best for losing fat". most advanced enthusiasts will respond with "get your diet in check brah" but for the sake of this thread lets assume nutrition isnt an issue. i myself have decide to use a routine for the remainder of my cal restricted diet and have a few in mind.
    what are some your favorites...
    LG Sciences forum representative
    www.lgsciences.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/company-promotions/249846-lg-sciences-would.html

  2. Registered User
    asooneyeonig's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,169
    Rep Power
    95209

    i dont see a need to change the program when cutting. IMO if you need to then your program could have been better.
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
  3. Registered User
    hvactech's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    goose creek, sc
    Posts
    9,340
    Rep Power
    2533509

    alot of people choose a strength based routine when restricting cals....nothing wrong with what ive been doing, just wanna switch it up...
    LG Sciences forum representative
    www.lgsciences.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/company-promotions/249846-lg-sciences-would.html
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    pyrobatt's Avatar
    Stats
    6'5"  241 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,374
    Rep Power
    1187160

    Quote Originally Posted by hvactech View Post
    alot of people choose a strength based routine when restricting cals....nothing wrong with what ive been doing, just wanna switch it up...
    The only problem with changing your routine is if you don't use the muscle you lose it. You want to have the same routine but be as strong as before the cut after your done at least to keep the gains. In theory atleast. Keeping the same allows you to track this. You CAN however experience strenght gains. I like to do 5x5 when I'm cutting on compound moves and 4 sets of 10 to 12 on assistance work.

    But ...its really about what works for you. I like getting strong in a cut so that's why I do 5x5. Goal related and all.
    Representative of Chaos and Pain, LLC
    https://www.facebook.com/ChaosAndPain Like us on facebook!
    http://www.chaosandpain.com/
  5. Registered User
    hvactech's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    goose creek, sc
    Posts
    9,340
    Rep Power
    2533509

    Quote Originally Posted by pyrobatt View Post

    The only problem with changing your routine is if you don't use the muscle you lose it. You want to have the same routine but be as strong as before the cut after your done at least to keep the gains. In theory atleast. You CAN however experience strenght gains. I like to do 5x5 when I'm cutting on compound moves and 4 sets of 10 to 12 on assistance work.

    But ...its really about what works for you. I like getting strong in a cut so that's why I do 5x5. Goal related and all.
    thats basically what im looking at doing...curious as to why id stop using a particular muscle by changing routines? all core/compound movements with effect major and minor groups and with acc work all muscles would be directly worked
    LG Sciences forum representative
    www.lgsciences.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/company-promotions/249846-lg-sciences-would.html
  6. Registered User
    pyrobatt's Avatar
    Stats
    6'5"  241 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,374
    Rep Power
    1187160

    Quote Originally Posted by hvactech View Post

    thats basically what im looking at doing...
    5x5 weighted pull ups makes me feel like a bad ass LOL! Always nice to feel in a cut
    Representative of Chaos and Pain, LLC
    https://www.facebook.com/ChaosAndPain Like us on facebook!
    http://www.chaosandpain.com/
  7. Registered User
    PaulBlack's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,788
    Rep Power
    115609

    Quote Originally Posted by asooneyeonig View Post
    i dont see a need to change the program when cutting. IMO if you need to then your program could have been better.
    With his ^ thinking.

    It is pretty apparent that the best muscle building is done with loads around 80% of a 1RM, using multi sets, which allows on average 5-8 reps.
    If you are going to cut and want to keep or retain as much strength as possible, (or even build it depending on what level a lifter you are?) lose the extra BW as slowly as possible to keep as much lean mass as you can. #1=#2 pounds a week perhaps. Since it is said, that when you drop weight, you are going to lose a bit of both, but slower BW loss, pushes the loss more towards adipose tissue, instead of lean/meat.
    That said, I can also see changing up to perhaps a little higher reps for a change of pace, but not necessarily for specific gains losses when dieting out.
  8. Registered User
    hvactech's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    goose creek, sc
    Posts
    9,340
    Rep Power
    2533509

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulBlack View Post

    With his ^ thinking.

    It is pretty apparent that the best muscle building is done with loads around 80% of a 1RM, using multi sets, which allows on average 5-8 reps.
    If you are going to cut and want to keep or retain as much strength as possible, (or even build it depending on what level a lifter you are?) lose the extra BW as slowly as possible to keep as much lean mass as you can. #1=#2 pounds a week perhaps. Since it is said, that when you drop weight, you are going to lose a bit of both, but slower BW loss, pushes the loss more towards adipose tissue, instead of lean/meat.
    That said, I can also see changing up to perhaps a little higher reps for a change of pace, but not necessarily for specific gains losses when dieting out.
    right, the question wasnt for my personal knowledge but more so an insight to wat everyone else does....my training is fine
    LG Sciences forum representative
    www.lgsciences.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/company-promotions/249846-lg-sciences-would.html
  9. Registered User
    pyrobatt's Avatar
    Stats
    6'5"  241 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,374
    Rep Power
    1187160

    Quote Originally Posted by hvactech View Post

    right, the question wasnt for my personal knowledge but more so an insight to wat everyone else does....my training is fine
    Plus. What works for one person may not work for others. Some actually get more size out of strenght training vs hypertrophy training. Myself? Hypertrophy whore. Someone else? That's up to them and what works for their body
    Representative of Chaos and Pain, LLC
    https://www.facebook.com/ChaosAndPain Like us on facebook!
    http://www.chaosandpain.com/
  10. Registered User
    saggy321's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,342
    Rep Power
    96625

    This is a good question. Whilst I agree with retaining the same routine I do wonder whether this may be too much for the body when calorie restricted, especially as the weeks wear on. Do you not run the risk of overtraining....lately I have been experiencing this and had to take a few days off from training.
  11. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,074
    Rep Power
    917999

    I don't change a thing lifting wise when I cut calories. If you change the stimulus that got you the base, you run the risk of losing some of the hypertrophy that was achieved.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  12. Registered User
    bolt10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    8,323
    Rep Power
    3458019

    I tend not to change much. I stay lean so I go pretty slow when I "cut", but towards the very end if recovery is becoming compromised I may lower frequency/volume.
    PES Representative
    Don't miss out on the next deal:
    http://pescience.com/insider
    Protein Backed by Science: http://selectprotein.com
  13. Registered User
    hvactech's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    goose creek, sc
    Posts
    9,340
    Rep Power
    2533509

    ive noticed my recovery is suffering lately, im going to increase cals by a few hundred
    LG Sciences forum representative
    www.lgsciences.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/company-promotions/249846-lg-sciences-would.html
  14. Registered User
    saggy321's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,342
    Rep Power
    96625

    Quote Originally Posted by hvactech View Post
    ive noticed my recovery is suffering lately, im going to increase cals by a few hundred
    Or maybe take a few days off?
  15. Registered User
    LiveToLift's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    13,343
    Rep Power
    9509237

    Quote Originally Posted by hvactech View Post
    i see alot of threads asking about "what workout is best for losing fat". most advanced enthusiasts will respond with "get your diet in check brah" but for the sake of this thread lets assume nutrition isnt an issue. i myself have decide to use a routine for the remainder of my cal restricted diet and have a few in mind.
    what are some your favorites...
    Hvac. I utilize supersets and trisets in a circuit style layout. It will shred you up so quick. I've shown very obvious changes in a short time while not doing any cardio at all. I have been at a cab deficit a few days a week though. Circuits alone will burn the fat right off.
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider http://facebook.com/pescience
  16. Registered User
    hvactech's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    goose creek, sc
    Posts
    9,340
    Rep Power
    2533509

    Quote Originally Posted by saggy321 View Post
    Or maybe take a few days off?
    funny thing is my legs recover fine, my chest from wednesday is still sore but i think i may have had a little too much volume
    LG Sciences forum representative
    www.lgsciences.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/company-promotions/249846-lg-sciences-would.html
  17. Registered User
    hvactech's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    goose creek, sc
    Posts
    9,340
    Rep Power
    2533509

    Quote Originally Posted by LiveToLift View Post

    Hvac. I utilize supersets and trisets in a circuit style layout. It will shred you up so quick. I've shown very obvious changes in a short time while not doing any cardio at all. I have been at a cab deficit a few days a week though. Circuits alone will burn the fat right off.
    i love circuits and gvt.....
    LG Sciences forum representative
    www.lgsciences.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/company-promotions/249846-lg-sciences-would.html
  18. Registered User
    asooneyeonig's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,169
    Rep Power
    95209

    Quote Originally Posted by hvactech View Post
    funny thing is my legs recover fine, my chest from wednesday is still sore but i think i may have had a little too much volume
    you can still workout on a sore muscle. soreness does not mean you had a good workout nor does it mean you should not workout again.
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
  19. Registered User
    hvactech's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    goose creek, sc
    Posts
    9,340
    Rep Power
    2533509

    Quote Originally Posted by asooneyeonig View Post

    you can still workout on a sore muscle. soreness does not mean you had a good workout nor does it mean you should not workout again.
    i know, it just seems once i went into a deficient my chest recovery lacks...
    LG Sciences forum representative
    www.lgsciences.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/company-promotions/249846-lg-sciences-would.html
  20. Registered User
    Aryon's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  202 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    12103

    For me, I'll do whatever is best to build muscle, whether in a caloric restricted state or surplus. I feel what puts the muscle there is what's going to keep it there
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Training routine problems.....
    By methyl-D in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-09-2006, 06:03 PM
  2. glenihan's training routine
    By Beelzebub in forum Bodybuilding Contest Preperation
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-15-2005, 03:15 PM
  3. Help make me a training routine!
    By Animosity in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-18-2004, 10:53 PM
  4. STK's training routine
    By legaljuicer in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-03-2003, 02:25 PM
  5. Looking for Fresh Training Routines
    By RaulJimenez in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-20-2003, 03:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in