Training Chest 2X a Week?

Stryfe

Stryfe

Awards
Hi guys, I'm just starting to get back into working out again and loving it. However, whenever I do chest I feel as if I'm completely recovered the next day and could do it again...

I think this may be because I honestly dont really have a chest, I'm an ectomorph I'm pretty sure, I can eat anything I want and not worry about gaining weight. I've been eating a ton lately and trying to bulk up and I've gained 6 lbs in 2 weeks which is awesome for me.

I guess what I'm asking is, is there a better chest routine for putting on mass faster? I gain everywhere else but my chest always seems slow.

Is it okay to train 2x a week?

My chest routine is:
BB Bench Press - 4 sets/6-8 reps
Incline DB Press - 4 sets/6-8 reps
DB Fly's - 3 sets/10 reps
Dips - 2 sets/8-10 reps

Please critique and offer advice. Thanks

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hi guys, I'm just starting to get back into working out again and loving it. However, whenever I do chest I feel as if I'm completely recovered the next day and could do it again...

I think this may be because I honestly dont really have a chest, I'm an ectomorph I'm pretty sure, I can eat anything I want and not worry about gaining weight. I've been eating a ton lately and trying to bulk up and I've gained 6 lbs in 2 weeks which is awesome for me.

I guess what I'm asking is, is there a better chest routine for putting on mass faster? I gain everywhere else but my chest always seems slow.

My chest routine is:
BB Bench Press - 4 sets/6-8 reps
Incline DB Press - 4 sets/6-8 reps
DB Fly's - 3 sets/10 reps
Dips - 2 sets/8-10 reps

Please critique and offer advice. Thanks
How long have you been back hitting it hard? Any goals besides a bigger chest? There are a ton of proven programs out there that help put on mass. And there are definitely some where you're hitting muscle groups more than once a week.

Stryfe

Stryfe

Awards
I've been back for about a month and a half.

Yes of course I have goals for everything not just one muscle group.
What's your recommendation?

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
It sounds like you're not actually hitting the chest itself during those workouts. Three of the four exercises on your chest day have a high potential to be dominated by your delts and triceps (any of the pressing movements) so make sure you're focused on and using the correct muscles! It took me literally years to dial in pec contraction on pressing movements.

One thing I've found to be good before I get into a chest workout is to do some band work. If you have access to bands at your gym, loop them through your palms, then flip it over your head so it is behind you and you can do a pressing movement. Do a couple of sets of just squeezing the pec to really get a feel for the muscle that needs to be contracting.

Even once you get to really squeezing the pec, I don't see anything wrong with training chest twice per week given nutrition and rest is where it needs to be.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Add in some form of DB press; that'll make you grow :D

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Most good routines (even for advanced men) have the big musculature of the of the body ie; legs, hips, back, surely being able to be trained 2x per week. The smaller groups like chest, shoulder, arms, can be trained perhaps 2 1/2 to 3 times alternating intensity too like a HLM.
As far as novices, some of the absolute best routines for gaining are 3x per week and involve nearly full body training. Legs, shoulders back in one W/O. You would most likely not really want to, or have the recovered energy to train that hard again the very next day.
Here's the thing. When I stopped focusing so much on say arms and BP's, and put strong effort into the entire body, I wanted to wait a few days before training again, (especially squats) since I was pretty beat up. I think some novices mean well in making up these splits and body group workouts, but in actuality, they are in ways not getting the most out of the big heavy standing work and the bigger hormone and systemic changes that take place when doing this heavy compound work. Along with the appetite this bigger work makes, you gain overall BW and size, pecs too.

gravitygames

Awards
Maybe try a flat bench pyramid routine. example 225lbs 2 sets of 8, 250 2 sets of 6, 275 2 sets of 4, 300 2 sets of 2. if thats not enough on the first day of this you not starting at the right weight and your prob not using enough if you cant get passed 6s then its to much find a lower starting point. you want this starting point perfect so when you at your 2s its tuff. the weeks you complete it move up 5 to 10 lbs( prob. for you 5 is plenty) from your starting point. if your chalenging your self and you have the endurance go back down the ladder with this from the sets of twos got to four reps , six and so on. then try incline dumbell press, flys however. ect start this with a few warm up sets of the bar for streching purpose then one to two warm ups then start with the 8 rep comfort weight whatever that maybe. the first day you do this find that perfect weight to start with that the most important thing find the perfect challenge weight. This workout helps spot your progress easily and kind of gets you siked as you see your self progress. hope this may help give it a shot!!! best of luck!!

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Just make sure you work your rear and side delts enough to make up for the extra benching. If not you can end up like me with pec tears caused by benching with a shoulder imbalance.