How to hit abs??

chillskillss

Awards
Should you 1. hit abs every day moderately 2. Hit abs weighted 1 day and reps the next then day off and repeat 3. Hit abs as hard as possible 1 or two times a week

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Treat them like any other muscle group, you don't want to overtrain them. And if you want to see them, focus on diet.

chillskillss

Awards
ok I feel ya I mean I just hear people say all the time that's its ok to hit them every day... I usually do one day heavy one day reps and then take a day off should I switch to just 1 or 2 times a week?

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you're doing compound movements for your other lifts, the abs will be hit during those as well. I do them usually once a week, sometimes twice depending how I'm feeling.

chillskillss

Awards
yea that sounds bout right I mean I hit a lot of lifts that use abs so maybe twice a week ill hit them hard on their own. Thanks a lot!

Epolis13

Epolis13

Awards
Honestly, I get more ab work doing big lifts - squats, deads, jerks, OH squat, front squat, back squat, cleans, snatch, press. I never do any direct ab work and I have plenty of ab definition. You won't see ANY abs unless your diet is on lock.

pmdied

Awards
Honestly, I get more ab work doing big lifts - squats, deads, jerks, OH squat, front squat, back squat, cleans, snatch, press. I never do any direct ab work and I have plenty of ab definition. You won't see ANY abs unless your diet is on lock.
^^this. I may do body curls once a week but that's about it. If you lift heavy with compound movements your midsection will develop . But a poor diet will cover it up

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
I agree with the 2 above posters. I hit abs maybe once a week, but compound lifting is where it's at.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The only time you will find me doing core is if there is a decent looking female in the sweat room. Otherwise it is just heavy lifting for core.

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
Did anyone mention diet? (I know they did)

I hate it when people ask, "Yooo, what did you do for those abs, bro?" and I tell them, "Eat right" and they look disappointed.

Train them every day, every other day, just do the big lifts, it doesn't matter - it's all pointless if they're covered in fat. Going to the gym is fun, eating like a monk isn't. That's the difference.

chillskillss

Awards
good article up there! and yea I know diet will help a lot with tone I just need to find a balance with mass and cut up! Im 210 right now and have decent ab definition but how much would I have to lose ya know!

fame126

fame126

Awards
  • Established
abs are made in the kitchen. period, diet is 90% of the battle

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
My vote is 3. Are you looking for an AB routine? ABS don't even need weights for the non pro bb

Awards
  • Established
Same here. Check my threads before and afters. During my whole cut I did virtually no direct ab work. "Abs are made in the kitchen" are words to live by