Preparing for first fight!

krazyg3o

krazyg3o

Awards
Hey all, still relatively new to the site but I'm hooked lol. I've been weight training and competing in contact sports for over 15 years. Decided to create a thread as I begin my 6 week training camp in preparation for my first fight (boxing). I've been boxing consistently for 5 months now and have gone through a great deal of change (lost 25 lbs) and I am taking it to the next level. I'll try to keep this updated as frequently as possible, however, it is my first thread so bare with me. If any one has any suggestions,advice our support please feel free to chime in. Thanks in advance

krazyg3o

krazyg3o

Awards
First official day of training camp. AM weight training, chest and shoulders. As I mentioned before I've recently lost 25 lbs as I try to make weight for my fight (currently 180), so I'm focusing on compound movements for volume. It sucks but I am not allowed to gain weight lol. Afternoon training, boxing, 20 rounds of pads mixed with speed training. Lot of combinations! Followed that up by a quick PM cardio session. Back on it tomorrow

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you are trying to keep your weight down you might want to increase the amount of explosive and dynamic movements you are doing. Compounds for volume are great for hypertrophy, but extra size will not benefit you in this case, especially seeing that what you need is power. Keep the weight around 60-70% of your 1 rep max, and do sets of 2-4 focusing on the speed of movement with 1-2 min rest between sets. Come to think of it, depending on your training experience, a west side approach (with a reduced assistance volume) might be ideal for you.

krazyg3o

krazyg3o

Awards
Great stuff guys I appreciate the info. As of late I have been incorporating a lot more dynamic movements were the focus is on speed and power. My weightlifting routine currently has the bulk of my dynamIc and plyometric movements on Friday. As my body and sport have changed my lifting has started to as well.I have definitely noticed a change in my performance especially with my hands speed. I still love pounding the weights but as you mentioned I can't afford to carry extra bulk as it hinders my speed

gboslice

gboslice

Awards
Hey brotha, glad to see some people boxing on here! Where is your first competition going to be? I'll be taking my team to Ringside in the beginning of August. Are you fighting pro or ammy? 15 years is a ton of experience, i feel bad for the poor kid who just started that they are gonna pair you with (If you're fighting ammy) lol.

Either way, excited to watch your road to the fight.

krazyg3o

krazyg3o

Awards
Thanks man I appreciate it! Ya man I used to play football and ruby up until this past year. It will be an amateur fight in nyc. Me and my team wanted to get a couple under my belt before entering some of the bigger tournaments out here. Where you based out of

krazyg3o

krazyg3o

Awards
Tue, 1 hour interval cardio with three round mountain climbers and planks. Good stuff, will wrap it up with 5 round shadow boxing later on

krazyg3o

krazyg3o

Awards
Another day in the books fellas. Started with AM weight traiNing, hit some back work emphasis on speed. Followed that up with a 10 round sparring session with a fast heavyweight. Oh man lol. Got a nice little shiner in my nose for that one. All in all good stuff. Felt faster, endurance is picking up and throwing punches in bunches. Finished the day of with light cardio session. Time to rest

gravitygames

Awards
best of luck, be tought and focused. kick some ass man !!!

krazyg3o

krazyg3o

Awards
Few days have men really Crappy. Got sick Wed night and couldn't get out of bed on Thursday. Friday tried to get s light workout in but was pissed. Hit the boxing today still sick as a dog, was training one in one with my coach as my head screamed in pain. I was able to get through the onslaught and actually got some work accomplished. Well downwith first official week, wishi wouldn't have been sick but what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

gboslice

gboslice

Awards
Few days have men really Crappy. Got sick Wed night and couldn't get out of bed on Thursday. Friday tried to get s light workout in but was pissed. Hit the boxing today still sick as a dog, was training one in one with my coach as my head screamed in pain. I was able to get through the onslaught and actually got some work accomplished. Well downwith first official week, wishi wouldn't have been sick but what doesn't kill you makes you stronger
You got this man don't get discouraged by a bad week. I'm sure your coaches have told you the real fight is the training. Make it through that and the fight is the prize for the whole thing. **** man, you'll probably have a few more bad days to be honest, but try to laugh it off as much as possible and always remember tomorrow's a new day to make yourself better than yesterday. Stay strong!

krazyg3o

krazyg3o

Awards
Appreciate man, I know the traiNing is the most difficult part. It just sucks to train at 50 or 60%. But i know it will be work it. As for training Monday I worked the heavy bag for a couple rounds, did some Plyos and finished with head movement.

sporticuz

sporticuz

Awards
I'm preparing for a fight in August as well. Gotta lose 15 pounds. Just do hiit training twice a week. Steady state cardio twice a week and weight lifting twice a week. You could use 5/3/1 Jim wendlers approach for the two days of weight lifting. Just a thought. Keep us updated.

Aryon

Aryon

Awards
Hey all, still relatively new to the site but I'm hooked lol. I've been weight training and competing in contact sports for over 15 years. Decided to create a thread as I begin my 6 week training camp in preparation for my first fight (boxing). I've been boxing consistently for 5 months now and have gone through a great deal of change (lost 25 lbs) and I am taking it to the next level. I'll try to keep this updated as frequently as possible, however, it is my first thread so bare with me. If any one has any suggestions,advice our support please feel free to chime in. Thanks in advance
Good luck, I'd like to do an mma fight sometime after some training. Seems fun :D

krazyg3o

krazyg3o

Awards
Thanks a lot guys appreciate the comments. Getting back into it this week hoping my body gets back on track. Feeling good and gonna be doing some training today. My girl had the npc garden states this weekend so didn't get as Much rest as I should have but good deal none the less. Thanks again for the traiNing info and will definitely be keeping you guys posted

krazyg3o

krazyg3o

Awards
Alright starting to feel better so hit the ring yesterday and got it in pretty good. Worked on the basics, pads, heavy bag, jump rope and core. Felt good to be in there again, can't wait to be 100% earned myself a spot with a local team for my efforts so I believe I'm getting better

gboslice

gboslice

Awards
Great work man! Every new skill and new step you take is something to be proud of. Glad to see you're stayin healthy brotha! Keep pushing

krazyg3o

krazyg3o

Awards
Feeling almost back to normal so training has been starting to pick back up again. Monday got to hit the gym and the ring. Speed work, still trying to get faster. Started a different lifting routine so hoping it helps. Also got my measurements done today and recalculated some numbers so I should be good to go moving forward

krazyg3o

krazyg3o

Awards
Been a long couple days but for some updates lol. Did mostly skills and fundamentals work last Wed with my usual cardio session Thursday and weight training Friday. Had to be outta town this past weekend but was able to get some cardio in Sat. As for this week Monday was pretty good with the usual weight training. I feel like my strength is starting to pick back up again. Today was pad work and I noticed a difference in speed and explosiveness. Hands were firing and had a lot of pop on them. Still have some fundamental issues however that's expected considering I'm still starting out. Looking forward to tomorrow session

krazyg3o

krazyg3o

Awards
Thanks man appreciate it! Had a good session in Saturday, getting more work in. The cardio is improving little by little. TraiNing in Monday was good, some more pad work followed by heavy bag and head movement. The weight training is starting to really benefit the boxing. Getting stronger and more explosive while maintaiNing current weight. Exited about my debut

krazyg3o

krazyg3o

Awards
Hit it hard this weekend. Lifting went good, feel like I'm getting a little stronger and more powerful. Saturday had to work early but for to training right on time for sparring. Went 6 round with 2 heavyweights. Felt light on my feet and was backing them up with my power. Really sore today though lol. Walked into a few punches so still a lot of room for improvement

krazyg3o

krazyg3o

Awards
Another week down and feeling good. A lot of good things going on and schedule has been changed. My fight has been pushed back to Sept where I will be fighting at BB Kings in time square, got sponsored by a local gym and sent home a professional fighter with a straight right in sparring this past weekend. I've been working with a few new people lately and they're all pretty excited about it, is hard to tell if they're genuine or just blowing smoke up my ass. Whatever the case I just want to keep getting better

krazyg3o

krazyg3o

Awards
Had a great sparring session on Saturday. Felt fluid and thru a lot of combinations, took a few unnecessary shots but ukulele still learning. Been slacking a little with my nutrition and starting to get back into it 100% trained with some new partners yesterday and worked on feet and attacking the body. Felt good, overall my defense is sold but can definitely improve. Starting to play around with switching stances, needs work but feels like there is some good things with it. All in all stepping it up, the end of 2013 is gonna be fun

krazyg3o

krazyg3o

Awards
Getting it in lol. Post couple weeks have been going by fast and it doesn't seem to be slowing down any time soon. Trained hard last week and capped it off with a sparring session on Saturday. Coach has done a great job with providing some new bodies and styles to help me progress. Has a go with another more experienced good fight and learned some things. Then went some more with the heavyweight lol. Took a little thumping in that one but still getting the experience. Starting another solid week later today

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This one was for wrestlers, but there are many common needs that a boxer has with wrestlers that need to be addressed in their training: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG-VK4QoJqg

For core work, though, you'd definitely want to include movements like barbell twists since they have such a large transfer into your punches.

krazyg3o

krazyg3o

Awards
Appreciate the post dude, thought that was a great vid. My training has changed a lot recently and I have begun implementing the training techniques and suggestions provided. Ive been getting stronger in the gym and it has been transferring to the ring. I'm not the biggest but as long as I continue to become more fluid and increase my strength and speed I'm hAppy. So thank you guys for taking the time to follow along and provide your support and suggestions

krazyg3o

krazyg3o

Awards
Well is been quite a ride so far and as fight day approaches I can't stop getting excited. I know my skill set is still very raw and I have a lot to learn but I feel very confident going forward. Things are starting to really come together and I feel more and more like this is something that is natural for me. All that said still gotta bust my ass and continue to progress. Sept 18 can't get here fast enough

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well is been quite a ride so far and as fight day approaches I can't stop getting excited. I know my skill set is still very raw and I have a lot to learn but I feel very confident going forward. Things are starting to really come together and I feel more and more like this is something that is natural for me. All that said still gotta bust my ass and continue to progress. Sept 18 can't get here fast enough
Don't cut too much weight! I made that mistake for mine and I was destroyed 17 lbs in 2 days. Day of weigh in. Not enough time to hydrate and refuel.

Make sure you keep your nerves the adrenaline before the fight will make it seem like you had 2 rounds before the start

It's a ****ing rush tho man. I'd love to do it again.

Make sure you get in your road work. Sprints both upper and lower body (versa climber and rowing machine with sprints).

Spar as much as you can. I couldn't preparing for my fight due to a broken thumb.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Spar as much as you can. I couldn't preparing for my fight due to a broken thumb.
This is certainly the most important part of fight training.

krazyg3o

krazyg3o

Awards
Right on man, trust me I'm over the whole weight cutting drama. Initially they wanted me to drop 10 more lbs but my body wasn't responding well so I decided it would be best not to kill myself before I actually fight. I have been getting in the road work as suggested and sparring wherever and whenever possible. My people have done a great job of getting me solid competition to spar with. A lot of experience guys who have different styles. Not sure how you broke your thumb but I've bruised mine pretty good from hitting elbows in training. Sorry you had to go through that experience with the weight cut and fight but your right, it is a rush and I'm trying not to get to over excited and wear myself out.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Right on man, trust me I'm over the whole weight cutting drama. Initially they wanted me to drop 10 more lbs but my body wasn't responding well so I decided it would be best not to kill myself before I actually fight. I have been getting in the road work as suggested and sparring wherever and whenever possible. My people have done a great job of getting me solid competition to spar with. A lot of experience guys who have different styles. Not sure how you broke your thumb but I've bruised mine pretty good from hitting elbows in training. Sorry you had to go through that experience with the weight cut and fight but your right, it is a rush and I'm trying not to get to over excited and wear myself out.
I fractured my thumb on an elbow. I threw a left hook and bam.

krazyg3o

krazyg3o

Awards
Dam man, I'm always banging my thumbs on elbows, I like to attack the body so I really understand how that goes. I've never broken a thumb thankfully but I've sprained them pretty bad. Thumbs also take forever to heal, hope you had a speedy recovery man.

krazyg3o

krazyg3o

Awards
Well here it is. Been real busy lately with everything from work, training and home. Cardio is good, weight is where it needs to be, been working on my game. Not sure what to expect but one thing I'm sure of is I'll be ready to fight. Wether it turns out to be a brawl or a Boxing match I'm looking forward to having some fun. Ideally I would love to go out there and score a knockout but I'm not trying to force anything. I just want to get better every time I step in the ring and hopefully this wed will be the beginning of something great. As long as I do all the little things and let things come to me it should be a good result.