Leg Training Head Pain

gmanall

Awards
I know it sounds like the normal excuse to justify not training legs however it's severely compromised my ability to train legs. When I squat or leg press with a amount of weight that I'd be able to hit 8-10 reps I get very severe head pains that eventually turns into a normal headache. The pain is such that if I had one chance to bang a 10/10 and I had this pain I'd turn it down. It happens regardless of supp use and seems to only happen when training legs directly with compound movements. It last about 15-30 sec and comes on during the later part of the set. Any thoughts?

PaulBlack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Do you hold your breath at all?
Does the bar or leg press pad hit the same area of the shoulders/traps/back do you think?
Does it happen or have you tried it on say a deadlift?

gmanall

Awards
Hmmmm, I don't believe I hold my breath, I typically breath on lockout and if I'm going heavy near the end I do a rest pause at the top. When I legpress I think most of the contact with the seat is with my lats and squats are traps and shoulder. It's never happened while deadlifting or while hexbar "Squats".

PaulBlack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Not sure what to tell you guy.
What part of the head aches?
Does the pain shoot up from say the neck area into head, or just a pain in your head somewhere?

Nooshefx

Nooshefx

Awards
  • Established
My little brother use to get the exactly same thing. He was holding his breath. I asked him and he told me he wasn't but after we watching him his lying ass was holding his breath. He has also fainted while squatting for the exact same reason. Wish I could explain it better but he just has to really concentrate on his breathing when doing legs. For some odd reason the man just doesn't do it right when he does legs.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
you described 2 lifts where there is pressure on the neck and you get head pain. and other lifts with no pressure and no pain. sounds like the issue right there.

do you have GP you can see about getting a referral to a spine guy.