Someone mind looking over my routine for today?

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
Alright, before I head to the gym, would someone mind checking over my routine for today? If its good, I'll probably keep it. If not, please feel free to tell me how to improve it.

Never done deadlifts, so I'm leaving weight blank.

Deadlift: 3x5 warmup, 1x5 @ 65%, 1x5 @ 75%, 1x5+ @ 85%. I'll essentially just use today to see where I am on deadlifts and recalculate the weights for next week, based on my final set.

Deadlift: 5x10 @ 45% for accessory work.

Seated calf raises: 5x10 @ 90lbs

Seated military press: 5x10 @ 55lbs (may change)

Wide pull downs: 15 @ 100, 12 @ 115, 10 @ 130, 8 @ 145, 6+ @ 160.

Then probably go mess around on the speed bag and light bag for a while.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You have nothing to base your percentages on so use the RPE scale (rate of perceived exertion). I'm not a fan of high-rep deads as form goes to crap when fatigued. You also need to add in some rows and core work (e.g. standing cable crunches, DB side bends, rollouts, etc.). Why military press on this day?

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
You have nothing to base your percentages on so use the RPE scale (rate of perceived exertion). I'm not a fan of high-rep deads as form goes to crap when fatigued. You also need to add in some rows and core work (e.g. standing cable crunches, DB side bends, rollouts, etc.). Why military press on this day?
Will do, I was trying to give some idea of my mental process, only reason for percentages.

Would you suggest dumbbell or bar bell rows? Maybe supported t-bar?

I had a hard core ab day yesterday, my abs, obliques, and lower back are pretty sore today. Hence no core work today.

And military press just because I enjoy military press, and I need more trap work. Lots more trap work.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Why 5x10 DL's after your DL reg work and you have never done DL's?
Are you squatting or leg pressing or something else?

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
Why 5x10 DL's after your DL reg work and you have never done DL's?
Are you squatting or leg pressing or something else?
I had planned on doing legs tomorrow. So I wasn't going to do the today. And the 5x10 was an idea I got from the 5/3/1 program.

Any ideas or improvements are muuuuch appreciated.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well, you have never DL'ed you said, but you are taking a routine section from Wendler's 5/3/1, who I would think makes a point of having some experience with the powerlifts or some foundation!?

Not trying to knit pick or slam, but you would most likely progress much better with a regular beginner full compound exercise program to start like a 5x5 or something, then build after you get some foundation and exercise know how.

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
Well, you have never DL'ed you said, but you are taking a routine section from Wendler's 5/3/1, who I would think makes a point of having some experience with the powerlifts or some foundation!?

Not trying to knit pick or slam, but you would most likely progress much better with a regular beginner full compound exercise program to start like a 5x5 or something, then build after you get some foundation and exercise know how.
Well, the deadlift is the only core workout I haven't done and I'm not comfortable with. I'm good on bench, shoulder press, and squat. Along with most accessory work. The deadlift is the only thing I've never done. 5/3/1 worked great for me on legs, chest and shoulders though, amazing workout.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Will do, I was trying to give some idea of my mental process, only reason for percentages.

Would you suggest dumbbell or bar bell rows? Maybe supported t-bar?

I had a hard core ab day yesterday, my abs, obliques, and lower back are pretty sore today. Hence no core work today.

And military press just because I enjoy military press, and I need more trap work. Lots more trap work.
Which type of row doesn't matter and going into a deadlift session with a fatigued core is a big mistake. Deadlifts are going to be the best thing you can do for your upper traps and I wouldn't think of military press as a trap-oriented lift.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I pulled yesterday and this is what I did:

Sumo Deads (my preferred stance)
SLDL
Unilateral Leg Press
Trunk Rotations

Including sumo and SLDL, I did 10 working sets, but I do not recommend that to someone who has never done them before and without a higher level of work capacity.

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
I pulled yesterday and this is what I did:

Sumo Deads (my preferred stance)
SLDL
Unilateral Leg Press
Trunk Rotations

Including sumo and SLDL, I did 10 working sets, but I do not recommend that to someone who has never done them before and without a higher level of work capacity.
I'll probably just do 5x5 on deadlifts today. I probably could hit chest again (hit chest Monday) and do bench again today, while my core is still sore. I would like to do some deadlifts though and try to figure it out.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Why not just follow the 531 program? You can determine percentages, progression, and periodization easily with the program.

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
Why not just follow the 531 program? You can determine percentages, progression, and periodization easily with the program.
I'm doing that for my core lifts, I just find it difficult figuring out when accessory lifts to use and how man reps/sets.

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
I'm doing that for my core lifts, I just find it difficult figuring out when accessory lifts to use and how man reps/sets.
Boring But Big as outlined in the book has been treating me kindly

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Alright, before I head to the gym, would someone mind checking over my routine for today? If its good, I'll probably keep it. If not, please feel free to tell me how to improve it.

Never done deadlifts, so I'm leaving weight blank.

Deadlift: 3x5 warmup, 1x5 @ 65%, 1x5 @ 75%, 1x5+ @ 85%. I'll essentially just use today to see where I am on deadlifts and recalculate the weights for next week, based on my final set.

Deadlift: 5x10 @ 45% for accessory work.

Seated calf raises: 5x10 @ 90lbs

Seated military press: 5x10 @ 55lbs (may change)

Wide pull downs: 15 @ 100, 12 @ 115, 10 @ 130, 8 @ 145, 6+ @ 160.

Then probably go mess around on the speed bag and light bag for a while.
Id say ditch the Military Press and add high Pulls, Cleans, or Shrugs. Just make the day a Pull day

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
Id say ditch the Military Press and add high Pulls, Cleans, or Shrugs. Just make the day a Pull day
This ended up being my workout....it was completely and totally unorganized, with training on just about everything, lol. I had too much energy and time but no solid routine for yesterday.

Deadlift day 6/6/2013

15xbar squat (warmup)
15x95 deadlift
12x115 deadlift
10x135 deadlift
6x155 deadlift
5x155 deadlift
12x85 wide lat pulldown
12x100 wide lat pulldown
10x120 wide lat pulldown
4x140 wide lat pulldown (wtf..?)
12x20 smith mchn mil. press
10x50 smith mchn mil. press
5x70 smith mchn mil. press
15xbar deadlifts (again, form focused)
12x65 deadlift (form focused)
10x85 deadlift (form focused)
12x90 smith mchn shrugs
12x90 smith mchn shrugs
10x90 smith mchn shrugs
15x20 incline curls (for the lulz)
6x25 incline curls (for the lulz)
25x45 seated calf raises (bored and full of energy at this point)
12x90 seated calf raises (I'm just gonna kill it, lol)
10x120 seated calf raises (almost broke my toe and barely got it reracked, damn)
Done.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Buy the book.

OHP
Shoulder accessory
Vertical pull
Bi or tri

Deadlift
Hams
Quads

Bench
Chest accessory
Horizontal pull
Bi or Tri

Squat
Hams
Quads

Core every time ya lift. Weighted/band crunches, side bends, trunk twists, planks, Ab rollouts, leg raises

Every assistance exercise should be 5 sets of 15-20 reps.

Example:
5/3/1 Deadlift
Good Mornings 5x15-20
DB Lunges 5x15-20
Core

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
Y'all make a great point...

Will be buying both books as soon as possible. The 5/3/1 book and the periodization bible. As much info and knowledge as I can learn, the better. I need to get a bearing on my routines.

I did feel pretty good about my bench and OHP days though.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
20 dollar download on Wendler's website. Money well spent

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
20 dollar download on Wendler's website. Money well spent
Ebooks do make things quick and easy. I'll get right on that. I wish they had it in the iBook store so it could just be taken out of my iTunes account though, lol.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Check out scribed.com awesome tool for checking out books and reading up then deciding if you really want to buy it. The Periodization bible will definitely put you on the right path but theres still so many great free resources available. Think its a 3-day free trail but that should be all you need after a quick once over as not every book stimulates the mind of the reader.

JDog479

Awards
Off topic. But I couldn't help but notice your Prof pic. You live in Fayetteville?

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
Off topic. But I couldn't help but notice your Prof pic. You live in Fayetteville?
Haha, nah, I live in Georgia at the moment. I was born and raised in Arkansas and moved to Georgia last year for a 2 semesters of college (mom lives here). I'm moving back to Arkansas (Conway) in a few weeks. Going to UCA.

JDog479

Awards
Haha, nah, I live in Georgia at the moment. I was born and raised in Arkansas and moved to Georgia last year for a 2 semesters of college (mom lives here). I'm moving back to Arkansas (Conway) in a few weeks. Going to UCA.
Right on man. UCA is a great school. Wish I could say the same for the city itself. Born and raised in Fayetteville my whole life. Currently in my third year at the UofA.

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
Right on man. UCA is a great school. Wish I could say the same for the city itself. Born and raised in Fayetteville my whole life. Currently in my third year at the UofA.
I'm from Conway, so I guess I'm used to it, haha. And yeah, I've done a few programs with UCA. I've done some intern work with the football team working with Conque and the other guys. My dad did a 3 year internship with the team and helped me get my foot in the door.

Hey, at least it's not Greenbriar!

JDog479

Awards
Nice. You thinking PT? You're in the right place and doing the right stuff for that if you are.

Hahah, no kidding. We can extend that list to the majority of towns in AR.

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
Nice. You thinking PT? You're in the right place and doing the right stuff for that if you are.

Hahah, no kidding. We can extend that list to the majority of towns in AR.
I'm actually thinking Kinesiology or biological physics. I'd rather do the more research oriented side of things. And I agree....very many towns...

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree. Fayetteville is an awful place.

Fayetteville, NC that is. :laugh:

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
Have either of y'all ever been to El Paso or Vilonia? Talk about POS towns.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm actually thinking Kinesiology or biological physics. I'd rather do the more research oriented side of things. And I agree....very many towns...
Awesome choice!

My Ph.D is in exercise physiology, and my research is focused in human performance. If you ever want to talk about academic/career paths, etc. feel free to shoot me a PM. I taught kinesiology at U. of Kentucky this past year, and am moving on to CCU in south carolina for a professor position in a month.

Jason

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
Awesome choice!

My Ph.D is in exercise physiology, and my research is focused in human performance. If you ever want to talk about academic/career paths, etc. feel free to shoot me a PM. I taught kinesiology at U. of Kentucky this past year, and am moving on to CCU in south carolina for a professor position in a month.

Jason
That's pretty much the exact same thing I want to do. I want to get either an MD or PhD in the distant future. That's my number 1 goal.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Kinesiology is becoming the most popular preprofessional degree, and most programs (UK kinesiology for example, which has doubled in the past 4-5 years) are expanding rapidly because of all the premed students getting BS in kinesiology. You have plenty of time to decide which direction you want to go, what type of research are you interested in: clinical, basic, experimental, performance, etc?

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
Kinesiology is becoming the most popular preprofessional degree, and most programs (UK kinesiology for example, which has doubled in the past 4-5 years) are expanding rapidly because of all the premed students getting BS in kinesiology. You have plenty of time to decide which direction you want to go, what type of research are you interested in: clinical, basic, experimental, performance, etc?
Well, mostly experimental and performance research. Which is why I'm also looking at going pre-med in Biological Physics. I like to learn how and why chemical and neurological actions and reactions occur in relation to the stimulus and environment. I'm a real geek. Took 7 AP/Honors science classes in high school when I only needed 3 to graduate with honors and only 3 regular sciences to graduate period.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good deal, as technology and techniques improve there will be a huge demand for that specialization. I've been to a few seminars on that in the muscle biology department at UK, its quite interesting, although most of the techniques are outside my scope of study.

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
Good deal, as technology and techniques improve there will be a huge demand for that specialization. I've been to a few seminars on that in the muscle biology department at UK, its quite interesting, although most of the techniques are outside my scope of study.
This is what really gets my interest going. I read anatomy and physiology and biology text books in my spare time. I have a passion for knowledge, particularly of the muscular system.

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
Sure you don't want to transfer to CCU and become my student? haha

Check this out, this is UK's "Muscle jungle", an entire department dedicated to studying muscle physiology.

http://www.mc.uky.edu/muscle/

There is also an entire lab directed toward mechanisms of muscle hypertrophy. Here is one of the lead researchers: http://www.mc.uky.edu/physiology/people/mccarthy.asp
If you can get me a work study job doing something with the fitness, biology or physiology department...hell yeah! Those programs look pretty much like exactly what I've been searching for. Thanks man!!