Gym machines

67nova

Awards
I hardly ever used any machines in the gym(or anywhere)but kinda have no choice right now as I impaled my hand with a knife(though it)and the week before had a 45lb plate fall on my foot and broke my big toe(mybe foot too.)threshold for pain is better then it should be(like it)but with not being able to use fingers in right hand(servered muscle or something)I started using the machines at the gym.

With mybe less then a hand(ha-ha)full of times on them it seems there actually working really good(smith,chest press,shoulder ect..)

My ? is has anyone had luck with gaining strength on these??I know you lift more weight compared to b/b's,d/b's with them.
Because I have no idea how long this one is going to take to heal.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You get good at whatever you train. If you use machines, you can still use progressive overload to get stronger with those machines and acquire muscles. However, while a person who is strong with free weight exercises can go and crush machines and smith machines, the converse is not necessarily true, again because you haven't challenged the same set of stabilizer muscles.

67nova

Awards
Thanks this is only until I heal up.Cant take the chance of ripping my hand open and cant use right hand to grab anything its kinda a hook right now.I use my palm to push and finger tips to pull(presses/rows)

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks this is only until I heal up.Cant take the chance of ripping my hand open and cant use right hand to grab anything its kinda a hook right now.I use my palm to push and finger tips to pull(presses/rows)
I understand. Stay safe and recover soon

bossman523

Banned
Awards
as long as you are progressing, i don't see a problem with using machines, tbh.

67nova

Awards
I heal really fast but never put a knife complety though my hand before also would like to say it came from that knife game but cant(stupid avocados!)

As for help in healing I upped vit c and been eating a ton of greens(vit a)and eat plenty of beef for iron but been taking liver pills to be safe.Dont say oysters cuz I don't care for them a lot,clams I can deal with.These are the main vits in helping to heal wounds.

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
I heal really fast but never put a knife complety though my hand before also would like to say it came from that knife game but cant(stupid avocados!)

As for help in healing I upped vit c and been eating a ton of greens(vit a)and eat plenty of beef for iron but been taking liver pills to be safe.Dont say oysters cuz I don't care for them a lot,clams I can deal with.These are the main vits in helping to heal wounds.
Try adding some proline and def continue taking your protein supps as they will aid in healing.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Machines or free weights make no diffrence in gains. If anything you might gain faster cause it is a new stimulus u dont usually use. My only problem with smith machines is it is hard as hell on my shoulders. Machines in general are harder on joints.

tigerdb2

tigerdb2

Awards
It's not necessarily a new stimulus if It's the same joint action. A machine chest press and the bench are the same joint actions. The strength curve will be altered for some lifts, say curls, but not all of them

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Machines are definitely better than nothing! I broke my leg last year but was still in the gym doing what I could for upper body, I dislocated my shoulder earlier this year and was still in the gym doing what I could for legs and cardio. It's definitely better than just totally stopping and feel that it helped me get back in the swing of things much quicker.

Ice4534

Ice4534

Awards
Machines are definitely better than nothing! I broke my leg last year but was still in the gym doing what I could for upper body, I dislocated my shoulder earlier this year and was still in the gym doing what I could for legs and cardio. It's definitely better than just totally stopping and feel that it helped me get back in the swing of things much quicker.
I agree with you, I believe you can't be at your optimal level of strength and phyisque without good accessory work such as concentrated machine work. I believe you need to use some machines, they should never become the main focus of your workout but yes their use is beneficial. anything is better then nothing.