Need advise - Arm workout

borges018

Awards
I'm on a college football workout and I've been trying to come up with a solid arm workout to increase the size of my biceps/triceps etc. does anyone have a routine that's had great results?

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
is this for aesthetic reasons or is it sport related? what position do you play?

mayhem99

mayhem99

Awards
Lying behind head triceps extinctions with ez-bar 8-12
rope pull downs 12-15
diamond push ups 10x10

Olympic Straight bar curls 8-12 reps
Incline dumb bell curls 12-15 reps
Hammer curls 15--20 reps

This is similar to Layne Norton PHAT training but with movements I like and see results from. Something else I have tried and like and got a great pump from and my arms got pretty sore.

Close grip pull ups (weighted if you can) 5-6 reps
super set Barbell curls 10-12 reps

close grip bench 5-6 reps (Go heavy)
superset with lying triceps extensions 10-12 reps

You want big arms start hitting them twice a week at least and stick with some good compounds to start your program dips CGBP chins stuff like that you cant beat those movements. Then follow up with you Isolation movements that you like and feel cause if you dont like them you wont do them period. This is just my thoughts take it or leave it.

borges018

Awards
I am not on a team I just enjoy the workout (I'm pretty athletic overall) . But I like your ideas! I was doing JM presses and I felt a bigger pump in my triceps then regular close grip bench - any thoughts?

Ice4534

Ice4534

Awards
I am not on a team I just enjoy the workout (I'm pretty athletic overall) . But I like your ideas! I was doing JM presses and I felt a bigger pump in my triceps then regular close grip bench - any thoughts?
Concentrate on the full contraction, really forced the blood into the muscle, an more then anything you gotta eat to grow my man! If you think your eating a lot and still not growing..eat more...eat to grow too many people miss that simple fact.

mayhem99

mayhem99

Awards
I have not done the JM press but I have read its a great movement and if you like that matters a good bit. I am big on dips love them things but most don't like them because of the shoulder issues that can caused by them which is why I opted for close grip bench. For the tri's I like a nice compound something I can use some heavy weight. Then a over head movement after that I like to finish with a cable or body weight. As for Biceps pick two main moves one you can add some good heavy weight to (barbell curl or dumbell) and the other something that gets your arm behind your torse like and incline curl that should get both heads of the biceps after that if you want pick a iso you like ex preacher curls concentration curls high cable curls whatever and finish off with high reps one that movement to really fill those things with blood and a good pump. Just try and have two main movements that hit both heads and put some heavy weight on there while keeping GOOD FORM because that's all you REALLY need for biceps. Hope that helps a little

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
While doing your curls grab a resistance band with what ever db your using and do the curls slow. The increased tension on the bicep after you hit the 90 deg mark should help with growth and strength.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
does anyone have a routine that's had great results?
The thing that comes to mind immediately is overall BW gain for actual mass. Your arms are going to grow (naturally) in accordance with the rest of the body, so eating is quite important.
Heavy back work, cable rowing and chins especially, involves the bis greatly and CGBP's help the triceps. After that, sets of arm work with lying extensions and heavy cheat curls, finishing with wrist curls. After that things are pretty much genetic.
Caveat: Keeping the arms cut makes them appear bigger, even though they may be smaller.

TexasGuy

Awards
I played college football. Can you please detail your routine, highlight how consistently you stick with it and let us know which part of your arms you are wanting to improve? Your triceps and shoulders should already be pretty ****ing awesome.

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
Exercises aside I've had some good results from something that might sound counter-intuitive. When I'm trying to put size on my arms either for show prep or beach season, I train them every other day. If you train them heavy EOD you're going to hit a wall, but if you periodize a little and keep mixing up the workouts I think you'll find it effective.

This might not work for you, but my arms need a lot of volume to stay full looking and "aesthetic." I don't do this all the time though. I'll do something like 2 weeks of training them EOD followed by a week with just some assistance work after chest or back. And get that blood in there. You don't have to train arms super heavy, but you gotta focus on the squeeze and getting a good pump.

Just stay out of the squat rack.

mayhem99

mayhem99

Awards
Exercises aside I've had some good results from something that might sound counter-intuitive. When I'm trying to put size on my arms either for show prep or beach season, I train them every other day. If you train them heavy EOD you're going to hit a wall, but if you periodize a little and keep mixing up the workouts I think you'll find it effective.

This might not work for you, but my arms need a lot of volume to stay full looking and "aesthetic." I don't do this all the time though. I'll do something like 2 weeks of training them EOD followed by a week with just some assistance work after chest or back. And get that blood in there. You don't have to train arms super heavy, but you gotta focus on the squeeze and getting a good pump.

Just stay out of the squat rack.
I like this I am a big fan of volume. For arms only thing I still think there should be some type of heavy movment at some point. I like start heavy and work down rev pyramids kinda I change for each moment not each set works for me. As said before thought to each his own and what works for me may not for others. The best work out is the one you love and the one your not doing "mark lobliner" think I got that right.

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
If you're pressing heavy and rowing heavy your triceps and biceps are going to be put under a great amount of tension from those movements. If you're not doing those two things, your arms aren't going to reach their full potential. Period.

Do some rowing and pressing of some sort hitting a ~5RM each week and the strength stimulus will be there. Preferably twice per week. If you're pressing/rowing heavy twice a week and doing some high volume workouts twice a week you'll see results.

I can't stress enough how important it is to squeeze the muscle though. Sure, I might be able to jerk 70s around on DB curls for 5 or 6 reps, but keeping my shoulders pinned back and getting a good squeeze with 40s-50s has always been much more effective. IMO there isn't really a place for heavy, sloppy curls if you're doing your push/pull variations effectively.

Weighted chins will do as much for your biceps as tons of curls. Get to where you can do some strict chins with 90+ lbs slung round your waist and I guarantee your arms will have seen some improvement.

My 2¢