5/3/1 Advice.

YungWuTang

YungWuTang

Awards
So i will be starting the Wendlers 5/3/1 program tomorrow (monday) and i want to get something straight, im doing the BBB (Boring but big) template and i was wondering if this is correct, monday i do overhead press 5 reps / 3 reps / 1+ reps then i do overhead press 5x10 then i do lat work, would that mean anything that works lats and back? Please and thank you, i just want to make sure that i am doing this correctly.

YungWuTang

YungWuTang

Awards
I know my one rep max for every lift, i just want to make sure what im doing, so tomorrow will be my first day first cycle first week, so i do 5x5x5+ on overhead press then do 3x3x3+ then 5x3x1+?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
First week is 65% x5, 75% x 5 and 85% x 5; second week is 70%x 3, 80%x 3 and 90%x 3 etc. Ideally you should read up on the program first as what you listed is not proper programming for 5/3/1 nor the BBB. BBB is 5x3 then 15x5 then assistance work.

YungWuTang

YungWuTang

Awards
Jigzzz can you give me the whole runthrough? on what to do? Monday is overhead press.. So tell me what to do its also lat work, please? give me sets and workouts to do?

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Buy the book. That's my advice.

Reactions: dds
YungWuTang

YungWuTang

Awards
Im piss broke, cant you guys just give me a schedule? and ill do it.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Im piss broke, cant you guys just give me a schedule? and ill do it.
It's like $25. You want us to spoon feed you, and that's not how this works.

l1fterp1nk

Awards
  • Established
Dude I'm telling you type iblackironbeastcalulator into google. Select the bodybuilder template, type in your maxes, and print it off. It's easy and tells you exactly what to do. When I do it I usually do the last set as many times as I can.

YungWuTang

YungWuTang

Awards
i did that and i dont really understand it..

ITW

ITW

Awards
Dude, you can find all the info you're asking on google. In like 2 minutes. Read. And I wonder why people who lift get labeled as meatheads...

YungWuTang

YungWuTang

Awards
who labeled us that..? And its not that simple, i dont understand how to search it..

joh408

Awards
  • Established
This is what I used when I started 5/3/1: http://www.strstd.com/
Eventually I bought the book, the principles are extremely similar but the book adds some info you won't get from that website.

YungWuTang

YungWuTang

Awards
Thank you joh! You actually helped me! Much appreciated!

PalmFist

PalmFist

Awards
Fck it. I'm a nice guy:

Assistance Work #1: Boring But Big

This is probably the most popular assistance work to accompany this program, and it's really very simple. After you perform the sets and reps of the program, you simply follow it up with the same exercise for 5 sets of 10 reps. For example:

Sunday
Military Press - 3 sets of 5 reps (or whatever week you're on) Military Press - 5 sets of 10 reps
Chin-ups - 5 sets of 10 reps

Monday
Deadlift - 3 sets of 5 reps (or whatever week you're on) Deadlift - 5 sets of 10 reps
Hanging Leg Raise - 5 sets of 15 reps

Wednesday
Bench Press - 3 sets of 5 reps (or whatever week you're on) Bench Press - 5 sets of 10 reps
Dumbbell Row - 5 sets of 10 reps

Friday
Squat - 3 sets of 5 reps (or whatever week you're on) Squat - 5 sets of 10 reps
Leg Curl - 5 sets of 10 reps

Establish your 1rm for all big lifts, use 90% of the 1rm for your calculations not the actual 1rm. Then progressively increase weight after every 4 week cycle. Wk 1 is 3 sets of 5. Wk 2 is 3 sets of 3. Wk 3 is 5,3,1. Wk 4 is a deload week (light load). Warmup properly before moving on to working sets (1x5@40%, 1x5@50%, 1x3@60%). The 5x10 sets are always 5x10. Choose whatever weight for those sets and you can always pyramid down for those sets as well

It's not as confusing as it looks. When you get a chance but the book. I recommend a good joint formula cuz BBB can hurt

YungWuTang

YungWuTang

Awards
Thats all you do after your core lifts? Just that one chin ups? or whatnot?

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
i also posted on this thread.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
in the OPs defense, he's only 15...

...still doesn't listen

...but that's why he hasn't ordered the book at east

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
This is what I used when I started 5/3/1:
Eventually I bought the book, the principles are extremely similar but the book adds some info you won't get from that website.
thats a pretty cool site

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
That site has BBB programmed wrong.

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
Depending on how strong you are that site will make you feel either really good or really bad about your lifts haha
true, but none the less cool........i like to find my 3 rep max and then use Jims math to figureout my EST. 1RM, since i train alone i feel a tad safer doing this then a true 1RM