Am i overtraining?

YungWuTang

YungWuTang

Awards
Hey guys, im 15 years old and i am wondering if i am possibly overtraining? This is my workout schedule, Monday legs, tuesday chest and tris, wednesday back and bis, thursday shoulders, friday legs, saturday chest and tris, sunday rest day. Every day i tend to hit atleast 150-250 reps on any workout (except forearms and abs) i hit abs every day, im not really sore after my workouts, but i seem to be maxing out every bench day, No pain no gain right? Please respond, thanks guys.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
For one, that is a terribly balanced program. I might suggest looking into programs like 5x5, especially as you are young and won't have enough knowledge on how to program your own workouts without screwing yourself over in the future (with postural issues and things).

Take advantage of being young and get onto something proven :D

theOCdude

theOCdude

Awards
For one, that is a terribly balanced program. I might suggest looking into programs like 5x5, especially as you are young and won't have enough knowledge on how to program your own workouts without screwing yourself over in the future (with postural issues and things).

Take advantage of being young and get onto something proven :D
This, I'm two years older than u and been following a program for about five months and have made considerable muscle and strength gains.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
For your age and if you are serious, even a simple 3 sets of 8-10 reps (Dave Maurice wrote a great program years ago) utilizing mostly the compound exercises with some arm & ab work at end.
3x per week is all you need, then you can go play basketball or bike and have energy left.

Otherwise, I might say it is not that you are overtraining per se, you are overtraining a single small muscle group per day, breaking the body up like that (ie: 1 day just for shoulders!?!?) and most likely undertraining your entire body hitting mostly little muscle groups.

YungWuTang

YungWuTang

Awards
I do shoulders, traps, forearms, abs. on that 1 day.

YungWuTang

YungWuTang

Awards
I forgot to mention, i compete in powerlifting competitions.. So this plan was ideal for my core lift progress.

Kilo G

Kilo G

Awards
Your too young for intense programs. My father was an Olympic trainer for The RSFSR and he allowed me to start weight lifting only when I turned 17. Before that I did a lot of paralleling and swimming. If you want to be f'ing strong and intimidating, my advice to you is stop the bull**** and do playground workouts like Hannibal. Pull ups, push ups, parallel bars... Etc you will see more results 100% faster than anything you do at the gym right now. Go on YouTube and look up Hannibal, he's a black guy from some ghetto, but he knows wtf he's doing.

Here's a video of another guy from Dnepropetrovsk, his program will rip you into shreds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SY0PiYT_dQ

When you hit 17-18 is when you should consider heavy weight lifting. Even then I don't think your preparing for anything like Army so I'd hold off heavy weight lifting until late 18s.

Kilo G

Kilo G

Awards
I forgot to mention, i compete in powerlifting competitions.. So this plan was ideal for my core lift progress.
Be careful. Herniated spinal vertebrae's suck. Some of the worst pain a human can experience, worse than gun shot wounds in my opinion.

YungWuTang

YungWuTang

Awards
I have been training with this plan for 8 months now, i switch it up every now and then, i have packed on alot of size.. Right now i am 165 8% body fat, all my core lifts together are 885 pounds..

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you're serious about competitive powerlifting I would drop whatever routine you've made up now. Its very difficult to deisgn a well balanced program yourself, regardless of how smart you mat be about it. You need to adress your technique, movements, and stregthening weaknesses in your kinetic chain.

Look into Wendler's 5/3/1. You'll lift 4 days a week. The other days you can do some conditioning (sprints, sled pulls, prowler ect) if you feel you must do something. Giving your body a rest is a must. In just those 4 days alone you'll hit each body group twice. Forget about "chest day" and "leg day" If you're going to powerlift-train movements and effective muscle groups. 5/3/1 is dead simple, and I promise if you follow it-you will be exactly where you want to be. Its basic, and submaximal training. Especially for being 15 years old...if you get in the right track now, you'll be an absolute beast, just do it wisely.

To answer your original question...only you will know if you're overtraining. You probably aren't. Impossible to tell though without seeing what you do exactly.

KiloG and Paul make some good points too. Don't lift dumb. Stick with the basics.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
At 15, unless you have a metabolic condition, I highly, highly doubt that you're overtraining.

To elaborate on some previous posts, powerlifting is about movements and not muscles. For example, the bench press is NOT a chest movement; it is a full body exercise that incorporates the triceps, lats, pecs, lumbar, hamstrings, traps, and core. Frequency is huge in powerlifting and hitting these areas only once per week is going to have a ceiling before you need to change your paradigm.

YungWuTang

YungWuTang

Awards
Deadlift is monday, i do 8x4 light weight then 6x1 medium to heavy, and overhead press is on shoulders.. i do 4x10

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Here are some basic things you need to realize (in no particular order):
1. Stop dedicating a day to a particular group of muscles (e.g. chest and tris)
2. Start basing days around movements (e.g. bench day, squat day)
3. Train your lats heavy twice per week
4. Train your core heavy 2-3x/week; crunches on the floor is not core training
5. Train the **** out of your technique
6. Think balance with your assistance lifts and pay attention to imbalances that creep up
7. You're too young for any bands and/or chains; these are tools better used later when you're more experienced
8. Take video of yourself for technique analysis; accept it now, your technique most likely has A LOT that needs improvement
9. Whatever you're eating now, add 1000 calories per day to that
10. Maxing out each week is a fast track to stagnation and injury

burpees

Banned
Awards
Here are some basic things you need to realize (in no particular order):
1. Stop dedicating a day to a particular group of muscles (e.g. chest and tris)
2. Start basing days around movements (e.g. bench day, squat day)
3. Train your lats heavy twice per week
4. Train your core heavy 2-3x/week; crunches on the floor is not core training
5. Train the **** out of your technique
6. Think balance with your assistance lifts and pay attention to imbalances that creep up
7. You're too young for any bands and/or chains; these are tools better used later when you're more experienced
8. Take video of yourself for technique analysis; accept it now, your technique most likely has A LOT that needs improvement
9. Whatever you're eating now, add 1000 calories per day to that
10. Maxing out each week is a fast track to stagnation and injury
Can u give me what a day of training looks like when u base on movements instead of muscle groups? Thank u

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Can u give me what a day of training looks like when u base on movements instead of muscle groups? Thank u
This was my training on yesterday:

Overhead Press
Meadows Rows
Flat DB Press
Tate Press/DB Curls
"Y"/Band Pullaparts
Band Facepulls/Pressdowns

The plan on this day was to start with the main movement, overhead press, and the subsequent 4 lifts were to strengthen various parts: Meadows for lats and upper back, flat DB for extra pec and triceps strength, Tate press and DB curls to strengthen and stretch the triceps and biceps, respectively. The remaining lifts (sans the pressdowns) were for postural correction along with mid-trap/RC cuff strengthening. The reason for extra triceps work is to strengthen my lockout on both OHP and my bench.

YungWuTang

YungWuTang

Awards
I want to keep training 6 days a week (its how i get my frustration out) can you give me a plan? That would help me develop my strength quicker.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I want to keep training 6 days a week (its how i get my frustration out) can you give me a plan? That would help me develop my strength quicker.
You don't need to train 6x/week. I can't think of any PL template out there that has you training with that level of frequency.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Rodja gave you awesome advice. Listen to it. No powerlifting program will have you lifting 6 days a week. You use those other days to train core or conditioning work if you need....or just eat a **** load of food

http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/block-periodization-for-powerlifting-revisited-and-revised/

http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/38-articles/65-westside-for-skinny-bastards-part3.html

http://www.jimwendler.com/2011/09/531-for-a-beginner/

http://www.jimwendler.com/category/articles/

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Squat 550, 585 in briefs/ Bench 315/ Deadlift 525

And Rodja's lifts are even bigger.

And we train 4x a week.

YungWuTang

YungWuTang

Awards
Thats incredible.. Mine are 385 deadlift / 195 bench / 315 squat.

Kilo G

Kilo G

Awards
Crazy right!?

burpees

Banned
Awards

Overhead Press
Meadows Rows
Flat DB Press
Tate Press/DB Curls
"Y"/Band Pullaparts

The plan on this day was to start with the main movement, overhead press, and the subsequent 4 lifts were to strengthen various parts: Meadows for lats and upper back, flat DB for extra pec and triceps strength, Tate press and DB curls to strengthen and stretch the triceps and biceps, respectively. The remaining lifts (sans the pressdowns) were for postural correction along with mid-trap/RC cuff strengthening. The reason for extra triceps work is to strengthen my lockout on both OHP and my bench.
Thank u sounds like a great plan, do u have a log currently ? Would love to try this training method

burpees

Banned
Awards

Overhead Press
Meadows Rows
Flat DB Press
Tate Press/DB Curls
"Y"/Band Pullaparts

I did this workout today and it felt great thanks man I'm going To look into this type of training

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I did this workout today and it felt great thanks man I'm going To look into this type of training
Look at those links I gave the OP. Look up Westsidr Barbell Book of Methods, 5/3/1, and The Cube Method. It'll cover the training more in depth.