Snatch!!!!!

  1. New Member
    liftstrong's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    56
    Rep Power
    468
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    99.55%

    Snatch!!!!!


    Who does em? How much? And @ what body weight?

    Snatch 205 @160lb

  2. Diamond Member
    Sean1332's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    11,780
    Rep Power
    3529436
    Level
    90
    Lv. Percent
    52.14%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    Too technical of a movement for me to attempt properly...
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  3. New Member
    tigerdb2's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    200
    Rep Power
    6405
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    54.49%

    I rarely do them anymore as I'm no longer in a weightroom with platforms but my PR is 221 at BW of 174. Can't imagine I'd sniff that currently
    •   
       

  4. New Member
    liftstrong's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    56
    Rep Power
    468
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    99.55%

    Quote Originally Posted by tigerdb2 View Post
    I rarely do them anymore as I'm no longer in a weightroom with platforms but my PR is 221 at BW of 174. Can't imagine I'd sniff that currently
    That's pretty solid man!
  5. New Member
    tigerdb2's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    200
    Rep Power
    6405
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    54.49%

    Yeah it was something I was pretty proud of but unfortunately my venue changed and now even heavy O/H squats have fallen off simply bc I don't feel comfortable ditching metal plates on the floor where I currently train. Anyone with respectable olympic lift numbers and sound form gets automatic respect in my book. You've got a damn good number there yourself
  6. Senior Member
    asooneyeonig's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,222
    Rep Power
    103759
    Level
    29
    Lv. Percent
    37.99%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    Too technical of a movement for me to attempt properly...
    ^^^^ that

    although i do power snatch, giggity.
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
  7. Board Supporter
    jimbuick's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,346
    Rep Power
    7367372
    Level
    98
    Lv. Percent
    48.42%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

    I haven't done them since high school football.

    Best was 185@140. I'm stronger now, but I haven't practiced the technique in a long time, doubt I'd touch it again without a good month of practice first (and even then it's questionable)
    Body Performance Solutions Representative

    Check out our products at www.bpsnutrition.net
    Check out our FaceBook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Body-Performance-Solutions/191322614238042
  8. Elite Member
    Tomahawk88's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    9,005
    Rep Power
    629266
    Level
    64
    Lv. Percent
    36.76%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Haven't attempted them in a long time. So I would say the bar haha.
  9. Senior Member
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Rep Power
    297849
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    42.22%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    That's awesome. I don't do them often, although I love snatch pulls and snatch high pulls, and overhead squats. Best was 195 @ 200 lbs.
  10. New Member
    liftstrong's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    56
    Rep Power
    468
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    99.55%

    Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    That's awesome. I don't do them often, although I love snatch pulls and snatch high pulls, and overhead squats. Best was 195 @ 200 lbs.
    Lol I was doing OH squats last month at my gym lost my balance and dropped the weight into the wall it left a nice plate size hole hahah
  11. Senior Member
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Rep Power
    297849
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    42.22%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by liftstrong View Post
    Lol I was doing OH squats last month at my gym lost my balance and dropped the weight into the wall it left a nice plate size hole hahah
    I've gotten pretty good at dropping and ducking. My OH is around 250-260 right now, and I can probably get that up to 275 if I train it more often. For me, the OH is not the limiting factor, its the hitting the 3rd pull correctly so that I can catch it over my COG, and not let it get out in front of me.
  12. New Member
    liftstrong's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    56
    Rep Power
    468
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    99.55%

    Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    I've gotten pretty good at dropping and ducking. My OH is around 250-260 right now, and I can probably get that up to 275 if I train it more often. For me, the OH is not the limiting factor, its the hitting the 3rd pull correctly so that I can catch it over my COG, and not let it get out in front of me.
    doing snatch balance should help alot, also i film all my oly lifts then i reveiw them compare them to pros and send them to my oly coach, getting to watch yourself really lets you know where your ****ing up
  13. Diamond Member
    Sean1332's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    11,780
    Rep Power
    3529436
    Level
    90
    Lv. Percent
    52.14%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    Are you a crossfitter or do you actually train Olympic lifts? No flaming intended, I just see a difference between the two.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  14. New Member
    liftstrong's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    56
    Rep Power
    468
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    99.55%

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    Are you a crossfitter or do you actually train Olympic lifts? No flaming intended, I just see a difference between the two.
    i am a crossfit trainer but my personal programing has been primarily OLY for the last few months with maybe 1 or 2 days a week will be crossfit before working with a coach my snatch was 165, lol starting June i will be going to a powerlifting gym for 3 months to get my DL bench and Squat up, i love Crossfit to death but its not solely gonna get me a 500pound back squat.
  15. Senior Member
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Rep Power
    297849
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    42.22%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by liftstrong View Post
    i am a crossfit trainer but my personal programing has been primarily OLY for the last few months with maybe 1 or 2 days a week will be crossfit before working with a coach my snatch was 165, lol starting June i will be going to a powerlifting gym for 3 months to get my DL bench and Squat up, i love Crossfit to death but its not solely gonna get me a 500pound back squat.
    I'd actually like to do some research on this and get some solid data to support my hypothesis.

    But, I think what we are starting to see with most of the top level crossfit competitors is a shift away from the traditional Glassman Mantra of random WOD's and an actual focus into blocks of specific work, periodization, and specificity. Like I said, I'd love to get out a questionnaire to the national qualifiers to see if this is actually the case.

    Jason Cholewa, Ph.D., CSCS
  16. Diamond Member
    Sean1332's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    11,780
    Rep Power
    3529436
    Level
    90
    Lv. Percent
    52.14%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    The owner of the gym I train at is an Elite powerlifter. The biggest majority of gym patrons are crossfitters with a small majority of fellow powerlifters. The owner got his crossfit certification along with a few others and they've actually implemented somewhat of a block periodization for all of the main movements. The rest of the WOD is just the normal crazy crossfit stuff. If you're interested ZR I can send you their link of WODs.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  17. Elite Member
    Tomahawk88's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    9,005
    Rep Power
    629266
    Level
    64
    Lv. Percent
    36.76%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED

    I'd actually like to do some research on this and get some solid data to support my hypothesis.

    But, I think what we are starting to see with most of the top level crossfit competitors is a shift away from the traditional Glassman Mantra of random WOD's and an actual focus into blocks of specific work, periodization, and specificity. Like I said, I'd love to get out a questionnaire to the national qualifiers to see if this is actually the case.

    Jason Cholewa, Ph.D., CSCS
    This is how I feel. Also believe this is how it should be. Don't mind programming like this. It is the glassman of random bs that irritates me.
  18. New Member
    liftstrong's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    56
    Rep Power
    468
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    99.55%

    Every one who competes at an Elite level are using very good programming.
  19. Senior Member
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Rep Power
    297849
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    42.22%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by liftstrong View Post
    Every one who competes at an Elite level are using very good programming.
    I'd actually like to connect with those people. It might not be great for CF from a business standpoint, but from an evidence based approach to enhancing performance, I think it is something that needs to be documented and discussed. Then again, no one reads scientific journals anyways, so it probably wouldn't hurt them at all if the evidence shows that you will not attain national level performance of physique doing a bunch of random WOD's.
  20. Elite Member
    Tomahawk88's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    9,005
    Rep Power
    629266
    Level
    64
    Lv. Percent
    36.76%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED

    I'd actually like to connect with those people. It might not be great for CF from a business standpoint, but from an evidence based approach to enhancing performance, I think it is something that needs to be documented and discussed. Then again, no one reads scientific journals anyways, so it probably wouldn't hurt them at all if the evidence shows that you will not attain national level performance of physique doing a bunch of random WOD's.
    Ya what is business savvy and what is most effective isn't always the same.
    Basically what happened to a friend of mine. The crossfit box he was going to lost all of its trainers except the owner. Now the workouts are programmed for the masses and not specialized. Plus he is pushing members to get certified to become trainers for him.
    Not to worry people just ignore scientific data that contradicts their position anyway.
  21. New Member
    liftstrong's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    56
    Rep Power
    468
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    99.55%

    Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post

    I'd actually like to connect with those people. It might not be great for CF from a business standpoint, but from an evidence based approach to enhancing performance, I think it is something that needs to be documented and discussed. Then again, no one reads scientific journals anyways, so it probably wouldn't hurt them at all if the evidence shows that you will not attain national level performance of physique doing a bunch of random WOD's.
    The difference of an every day cross fitter and rich froning isn't just programming, very few people have the ability to reach that level, even with excellent programming, HGH and a diet of champions. Those competitors are born with something special. Same applies to almost all pro athletes and Olympians
  22. Senior Member
    Wrivest's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,369
    Rep Power
    210008
    Level
    42
    Lv. Percent
    40.57%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    My snatch is pretty weak. I need to do a lot of shoulder mobility work to get where I want to be, but my for is solid. My max effort snatch is 155, and I weigh 160.
    I'm glad to see people here opening up to the fact that legit CF gyms and trainers are popping up!
  23. Senior Member
    Wrivest's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,369
    Rep Power
    210008
    Level
    42
    Lv. Percent
    40.57%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Wrivest View Post
    My snatch is pretty weak. I need to do a lot of shoulder mobility work to get where I want to be, but my for is solid. My max effort snatch is 155, and I weigh 160.
    I'm glad to see people here opening up to the fact that legit CF gyms and trainers are popping up!
    *form....not for....dam typos
  24. New Member
    Epolis13's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  143 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    268
    Rep Power
    113805
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    3.82%

    Most of the elite CFers don't do the traditional WODs. They spend their time on specific programming for the oly lifts and then practice skills on the side. If you look at the Outlaw programming, it's based around the big oly lifts and with accessory work like clean pulls, hang snatch, snatch drop/balance, etc. I don't consider myself to be "elite" by any means, but I rarely WOD with everyone at my gym. I follow VERY specific programming and work 1:1 with a coach every week. I have good friends going to regionals and they don't ever do random WODs.

    There's a big split between some boxes and others in how they do their programming. Some follow Glassman blindly, some don't. The elite folks don't - I can tell you that with certainty.

    I love the snatch (TWSS) and am currently working with a coach to fix some form issues. My PR is 125, and I weigh about 145. That s**t is weak sauce, and I want to get my #s up into the 140s/150s eventually. All of my issues are form related at this point.
    iForce Nutrition Representative - iTrain. iCompete. iDominate
  25. Senior Member
    Wrivest's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,369
    Rep Power
    210008
    Level
    42
    Lv. Percent
    40.57%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    I've been following the Wendler program myself and then just hitting 1, maybe 2 WODS a week to keep some form of cardio. I will do snatch work only when I'm pretty rested since it requires a tad more concentration
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-24-2009, 12:44 AM
  2. 135 one-handed barbell snatch
    By Jmaths in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-18-2009, 02:28 PM
  3. Ugliest snatch I ever saw
    By dave12 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 07-31-2009, 05:30 PM
  4. Can't snatch grip front squat
    By Rugger in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-29-2008, 06:28 AM
  5. Snatching Defeat From The Jaws Of Victory !!!
    By anabolicrhino in forum Sports Talk
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-13-2007, 08:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in