tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
From previous years of to much pushing exercises and poor form, my shoulders are "rolled" forward. Need some corrective exercises. Also, my right scapula is winged..

Zir can i get some help?

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
YTWL, band pull-aparts are 2 good places to start.

KimChee

KimChee

Awards
Scapular retraction, scapular strengthening, stretch those pecs and traps they're tight. Strengthen cervical extensors.

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Diagnosing postural issues on a forum is tricky because although you may present with a protracted shoulder girdle, protracted cervical spine and medially rotated glenohumeral joints it is only one part of the issue.

For example, if someone has an anterior pelvic tilt and an exaggerated lumbar lordosis it is probable that they will present with the above symptoms as well due to the natural S curvature of the spine.

Ideally take a photo from the front, side and back wearing a pair or shorts. This will at least allow us to see the LPHC rather than looking only at the thoracic spine.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Diagnosing postural issues on a forum is tricky because although you may present with a protracted shoulder girdle, protracted cervical spine and medially rotated glenohumeral joints it is only one part of the issue.

For example, if someone has an anterior pelvic tilt and an exaggerated lumbar lordosis it is probable that they will present with the above symptoms as well due to the natural S curvature of the spine.

Ideally take a photo from the front, side and back wearing a pair or shorts. This will at least allow us to see the LPHC rather than looking only at the thoracic spine.
Ill get the photos up tonight. Thanks.

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It is sometimes hard to tell in photos but it is also worth noting the height of your anterior superior iliac spine (ASIS) and your posterior superior iliac spine (PSIS) to assess whether your hips tilt forward at all. It will allow us to be more certain if you can mark them with your hands or check yourself.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Diagnosing postural issues on a forum is tricky because although you may present with a protracted shoulder girdle, protracted cervical spine and medially rotated glenohumeral joints it is only one part of the issue.For example, if someone has an anterior pelvic tilt and an exaggerated lumbar lordosis it is probable that they will present with the above symptoms as well due to the natural S curvature of the spine.Ideally take a photo from the front, side and back wearing a pair or shorts. This will at least allow us to see the LPHC rather than looking only at the thoracic spine.
Well said, bdcc.

A lot of the guys above answered your question on how to deal with the problem IF that is in fact your problem. But you should establish where, more or less, the problem lies.

If it is the upper body, then work on both loosening the traps, pecs/pec minor, and anterior delts, while doing more lower trap/rhomboid work. Basically, what Kimchee said.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
When relaxed my hands hang infront my thighs instead of next if this helps at all. Use to see a chrio, had xrays taken and my (i believe) whole right iliac crest was higher.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Bump

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Shameless bump

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ive looked for ART in my area, closest one is 90 miles away. I can get trigger point done on a regular basis though.

Obviously im in bad shape, i held the flashlights and they cross immediately.

Bumpin for more help

Movin_weight

Movin_weight

Awards
  • Established
Doesn't look that severe. The advice above seems relevant to what I see in the pic. Stretch the pecs, emphasize exercises involving external rotation and scapular retraction.

Danb2285

Danb2285

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Subbed for more info. I'm the exact same way man.

Danb2285

Danb2285

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good to know lol i mean its bad for us...
Lol def sucks for us! I feel like it effects a lot of my lifts also. Especially DL's. Alot of things kill my lower/middle back.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Lol def sucks for us! I feel like it effects a lot of my lifts also. Especially DL's. Alot of things kill my lower/middle back.
It takes a helluva lot to get my chest to pump up. Same with lats.

Wanting to get more thoughts on my build/body structure. And what i can do to fix issues...

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
Doesn't look that severe. The advice above seems relevant to what I see in the pic. Stretch the pecs, emphasize exercises involving external rotation and scapular retraction.
Can you name an exercise for each please? I too have the same alignment.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Bump

JDog479

Awards
Scapular retraction is what I would suggest working on. Basically work on posture more than anything else. Maybe start working your back more so than usual.

If you've simply just neglected back then the solution seems pretty strait forward. Train back. Rows, deads, pull-ups,pull-downs. Etc. also posterior Delt work would be a good idea as well.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Scapular retraction is what I would suggest working on. Basically work on posture more than anything else. Maybe start working your back more so than usual.

If you've simply just neglected back then the solution seems pretty strait forward. Train back. Rows, deads, pull-ups,pull-downs. Etc. also posterior Delt work would be a good idea as well.
I dont neglect back, favorite muscle group to train. I do more rows than pulldowns. I started scap work, band work and im getting trigger point therapy done.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Pullups/pulldowns are actually part of the problem as they work the internal rotators and deads won't do anything for postural correction.

JDog479

Awards
Pullups/pulldowns are actually part of the problem as they work the internal rotators and deads won't do anything for postural correction.
Precisely. Throw in some face-pulls, variations of shrugs, and some old school scarecrows. Scapular raises are a good option as well.

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
You should do back 2:1 chest or even 3:1 for the first couple weeks. The rounded shoulders, palms facing backwards instead of to the sides, and forward head position are characteristic of chest dominant training.

When you train back more, your posture will improve and your measured height will increase.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This really needs to be said again: it is not the undertraining of "back" that is the culprit; it is a mix of improper internal:external rotators (pulldowns/pullups stress the internal rotators, not the external), tightness in the RC, pecs, and lats (poor shoulder girdle mobility), and poor sitting posture.

While doing things such as facepulls, scarecrows, TYW, pullaparts, etc., you have to maintain proper posture of not only adducted scapula, but also have them slightly depressed as well.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
you have to maintain proper posture of not only adducted scapula, but also have them slightly depressed as well.
Best way to do this? I worked in an office for years, so leaning over paperwork didnt help my posture at all. I glanced over the article you already linked and incorporated most of the exercises in...

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
Best way to do this? I worked in an office for years, so leaning over paperwork didnt help my posture at all. I glanced over the article you already linked and incorporated most of the exercises in...
I'd start with cable rows but just focusing on scapular retraction, not whole ROM. Also doing this from a hanging position as well as straight arm dips. These exercises will also help mitigate and pain in your upper trapezius by balancing the mid and lower traps.

AdonisBelt

AdonisBelt

Awards
DB shrugs on an incline face down, pulling shoulders back and up. Focuses on rhomboids, rear delts, and teres minor which pulls the shoulder blades back.

The movement is hard to figure out but when you do it right you'll literally be shocked at the spot it hits. I have a video on them if you want me to link it. Make sure you start low... If you go heavy your upper traps take over and it's useless compared to doing it with correct form.

Let me know how it works out. Fixed my roll and made my back explode as well (the good way).

Your welcome :)

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
DB shrugs on an incline face down, pulling shoulders back and up. Focuses on rhomboids, rear delts, and teres minor which pulls the shoulder blades back.

The movement is hard to figure out but when you do it right you'll literally be shocked at the spot it hits. I have a video on them if you want me to link it. Make sure you start low... If you go heavy your upper traps take over and it's useless compared to doing it with correct form.

Let me know how it works out. Fixed my roll and made my back explode as well (the good way).

Zir red has a video of prone shrugs on an incline bench. I already do those too :)

Lock your elbows, itll keep your upper trap/rhomboid out.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Outside of getting a good chair, a conscious effort to keep the scapula retracted is about all you can really do. You could also buy a mini band and do a few sets of high-rep pullaparts throughout the day.

Myodyne

Myodyne

Sponsor
Awards
Just going by what has helped me out a lot with form and just overall flexibility and strength. Deep tissue massages and chiropractic really help a ton. I get a deep tissue once a month sometimes twice if you go on groupon you can find really great deals locally. Same with chiropractic if you don't have insurance. Also I focus on keeping my core activated during exercises and keeping posture straight. It is tough as hell to do these things i know but it certainly pays off after awhile because you can see and feel the difference. Also use a firm foam roller and lacrosse ball very often. Hope some of this helps it looks like you are already being pretty proactive.

gokix811

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Could you throw up the link, please? :)

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just going by what has helped me out a lot with form and just overall flexibility and strength. Deep tissue massages and chiropractic really help a ton. I get a deep tissue once a month sometimes twice if you go on groupon you can find really great deals locally. Same with chiropractic if you don't have insurance. Also I focus on keeping my core activated during exercises and keeping posture straight. It is tough as hell to do these things i know but it certainly pays off after awhile because you can see and feel the difference. Also use a firm foam roller and lacrosse ball very often. Hope some of this helps it looks like you are already being pretty proactive.
I use to see a chiro regularly.. not so much anymore. I foam roll every night as well. Ill be getting trigger point therapy done on a regular basis now (wife has a friend how specializes in MFR/TPT)

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I use to see a chiro regularly.. not so much anymore. I foam roll every night as well. Ill be getting trigger point therapy done on a regular basis now (wife has a friend how specializes in MFR/TPT)
The generic flat rollers don't dig into the RC complex very well. Even a Rumble Rollers doesn't get the job done with major adhesions and tightness. This is going to sound weird, but a lot of the thicker balls that are dog toys are an option that's not as wicked as a lacrosse or billiard ball.

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
I like rolling on those yellow reaction balls. The knobs and pressure are 'adjustable' depending on how you position yourself

AdonisBelt

AdonisBelt

Awards
Could you throw up the link, please? :)
Yeah I will when I can. I was having trouble logging in from my computer today but when I can ill link it with the exact time in the video and rep number where to movement is spot on

AdonisBelt

AdonisBelt

Awards
I'm really into foam rolling (have a trigger point grid 2.0)

Any advice for getting at the teres muscles and rear delts? Triceps are always a bitch for me also,

Thanks!

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
I'm really into foam rolling (have a trigger point grid 2.0)

Any advice for getting at the teres muscles and rear delts? Triceps are always a bitch for me also,

Thanks!
girlfriend

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I know that practicing good form all day has been said and a great place to help with your goals is the supple leopard book. He talks about your everyday form as well as great mobility work to help fix the problems.

With the rear delt I find a lacross ball against the wall is great. You can really determine the pressure. As far as sitting a lot, make sure you have the same distance from your ribs to your pelvis as you would standing; put your hands on your chest as a cue to remind your shoulder blades where to be and keep the stomach towards the spine with about 20% effort all day. Breath down into your belly and this will help keep your spine braced. Stand up every so often at work too.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Can you post a picture of you standing with your arms raised overhead (elbows locked) as high as they will go (try to get it from at least the waist up so I can see pelvic tilt as well). Keep your hands in a neutral position (i.e.: palms facing each other). I want to look at a few things to see how your scapula rotate as well. From the side shots it looks like your upper traps are short, and your scapula depressors are under activated.

Have you read the two articles on my blog about shoulder health, they have some basics in there, and then we can get into more detail based on personal needs.

(Glad you PMed me in here, by the way!)

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Can you post a picture of you standing with your arms raised overhead (elbows locked) as high as they will go (try to get it from at least the waist up so I can see pelvic tilt as well). Keep your hands in a neutral position (i.e.: palms facing each other). I want to look at a few things to see how your scapula rotate as well. From the side shots it looks like your upper traps are short, and your scapula depressors are under activated.

Have you read the two articles on my blog about shoulder health, they have some basics in there, and then we can get into more detail based on personal needs.

(Glad you PMed me in here, by the way!)
I will get those pictures up tonight. Do you want me to stop reaching when i start feeling mild discomfort? Or reach past that.. my hips swing forward. And, i havent had the chance to read those articles, could you link them in here? Thanks for the help!

trn450

trn450

Awards
Great thread. Been very helpful. I'm getting PT for this issue right now, which has caused repeated supraspinatus problems. o_0

Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Lower trap work / scapular retraction / inner and outer cable isolation work fixes a lot of issues.

Big boy D

Big boy D

Awards
Tyga, Is that your back? Is that you in the pic? I do t get it: how are your lats that big when the rest is, not to be rude but behind so much?

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Tyga, Is that your back? Is that you in the pic? I do t get it: how are your lats that big when the rest is, not to be rude but behind so much?
Yes thats my back. Like i said those pics dont do me justice, off topic heres a leg pic, delt and some others.. there not that behind.. well from what i thought lol all pics are recent within the last two months

Attachments