no more cardio on empty stomach

Number 5

Awards
okay boys, i've always done my cardio on an empty stomach right after i wake up (roughly 3 times a week).

however, i've been reading up on the empty stomach/full stomach cardio debate lately and here is my conclusion:

cardio is best after eating something. maybe a protein shake 30 min before.

reasons:

1) body burns as energy first glucose, then muscle, then fat (when starving at least - not sure about exactly how it plays out during empty stomach cardio, but i'm starting to lean on the muscle burning side)

2) it's not about the calories - you burn a few more than at resting, but you could just eat less if that was the benefit. the true benefit is an increased metabolim for the rest of the day.

3) other arguments concern something about a better nitrogen balance if you eat something first, and eating something is supposed to kickstart you metabolim in the morning for better fat burning during cardio - if any. of course, you'll burn the stuff you eat instead of fat, so i don't find this last point completely convincing.

what do you think?

Sheesh

Awards
  • Established
5 -

body burns as energy first glucose, then muscle, then fat
This statement isn't quite true. The body first relies on glycogen, from both the liver and from muscles. After this is depleted, then it turns to fat, with a little bit of muscle protein in the mix. It never just burns pure muscle tissue ever.

My personal experience with the subject is I obtain optimal fat loss with minimal fat loss doing cardio on an empty stomach, but then having a post-cardio shake with around 40 grams of whey and the carb amount depends on which phase of my diet I'm on (cut vs. bulk).

Some people like to supplement with BCAAs or a protein drink pre-workout. This actually isn't so much of a bad idea as it would increase protein synthesis. I personally prefer not to have this pre-workout shake for two reasons...

1) Because you're in a fasted state, most of that protein is going to be oxidized by the liver, so most of it's not going to be used by muscles anyway....

2) If the shake contains carbs, an inevitable increase in serum insulin will follow, which will blunt fat loss during the work-out, and after the workout as well for a little bit...

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
5 -

This statement isn't quite true. The body first relies on glycogen, from both the liver and from muscles. After this is depleted, then it turns to fat, with a little bit of muscle protein in the mix. It never just burns pure muscle tissue ever.
This isnt exaclty true either. The bodies first and most efficient form of energy is fat metabolism. The body burns fat at rest, during like cardio/weight training, glycogen second for explosive and high or intense cardio and exercise, and then of course muscle. Thsi is being technical, but good catch Sheesh.

Number 5

Awards
Thanks for replies. And Nelson, that was an awesome thread, it's exactly what i've been looking for. excellent read for everyone...

Sheesh

Awards
  • Established

This isnt exaclty true either. The bodies first and most efficient form of energy is fat metabolism. The body burns fat at rest, during like cardio/weight training, glycogen second for explosive and high or intense cardio and exercise, and then of course muscle. Thsi is being technical, but good catch Sheesh.

I meant my statement as if the person were in the middle of doing cardio, but good clarification nonetheless.