I keep hurting my shoulder on flat bench presses

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last
  1. Registered User
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    MD
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,315
    Rep Power
    21263

    I keep hurting my shoulder on flat bench presses


    I injured my shoulder by using too much weight on the bench, I took time off but now everytime I bench I feel my shoulder crack. What should I do? Should I just switch to incline bench and flat bench dumbbell presses? I can do close grip bench without an issue, but once I move my hands away from my side BAM shoulder pain.

  2. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,071
    Rep Power
    917996

    Tuck your elbows more and adduct and depress your scapula while you bench.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  3. Registered User
    determinator's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  158 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Buffalo NY
    Age
    25
    Posts
    708
    Rep Power
    635680

    stay away from what hurts for alittle and take super cissus and fish oil to help repair the shoulder...works WONDERS literally...that or just do less weight
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    MD
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,315
    Rep Power
    21263

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Tuck your elbows more and adduct and depress your scapula while you bench.
    I've tried that it doesn't seem to work.
  5. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,071
    Rep Power
    917996

    Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
    I've tried that it doesn't seem to work.
    You're probably not doing it right. If you're not flexing your lower traps the entire time, then you're not doing it right.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  6. Registered User
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    MD
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,315
    Rep Power
    21263

    Quote Originally Posted by determinator View Post
    stay away from what hurts for alittle and take super cissus and fish oil to help repair the shoulder...works WONDERS literally...that or just do less weight
    Would incline press help? Once I go lower than the 2 inch mark from my chest it hurts.
  7. Registered User
    determinator's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  158 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Buffalo NY
    Age
    25
    Posts
    708
    Rep Power
    635680

    incline bench and flat bench dumbell press doesnt hurt ur shoulder?
  8. Registered User
    determinator's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  158 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Buffalo NY
    Age
    25
    Posts
    708
    Rep Power
    635680

    thats actually why i do flat bench with dumbells cuz barbell press hurt my shoulder too much and no pain at all with dumbells.
  9. Registered User
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    MD
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,315
    Rep Power
    21263

    Close grip doesn't hurt, but once I go with my arms away from my body my shoulders hurt.
  10. Registered User
    determinator's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  158 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Buffalo NY
    Age
    25
    Posts
    708
    Rep Power
    635680

    Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
    Close grip doesn't hurt, but once I go with my arms away from my body my shoulders hurt.
    are you talking about in general on all presses or just flat bench barbell
  11. Registered User
    FranARG's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Age
    26
    Posts
    401
    Rep Power
    17428

    It makes sense, because with dumbbells you dont restrict joint movement as much as a barbell does.
  12. Registered User
    determinator's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  158 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Buffalo NY
    Age
    25
    Posts
    708
    Rep Power
    635680

    if your talking about literally all chest presses it sounds more like continuing pain from previous injury that isnt completely healed rather then a technique erorr...are u supplementing any joint care?
  13. Registered User
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    MD
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,315
    Rep Power
    21263

    Quote Originally Posted by determinator View Post
    if your talking about literally all chest presses it sounds more like continuing pain from previous injury that isnt completely healed rather then a technique erorr...are u supplementing any joint care?
    Fish oil. I jsut can't stand not benching. Working out is a stress reliever lol. But as stated do you think incline presses would help if I did them for awhile, before going back to the flat bench.
  14. Registered User
    determinator's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  158 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Buffalo NY
    Age
    25
    Posts
    708
    Rep Power
    635680

    Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
    Fish oil. I jsut can't stand not benching. Working out is a stress reliever lol. But as stated do you think incline presses would help if I did them for awhile, before going back to the flat bench.
    technically yes because it would help strengthen the upper chest/shoulder...but to give you dead honest answer i don't think anything is gunnna help that pain unless you start up on super cissus..i didn't stop benching i just changed how i benched by switching to dumbells.. but my shoulder only hurt on flat bench barbell and nothing else. helps me get stronger on the bench because of all the extra muscles being used to balance the weight in each arm...incline bench isn't going to be ur cure...u need to regenerate and heal that shoulder IMO ..just giving my two cents

    i don't work out anymore by what does or doesnt hurt me anymore..cissus helped my shoulder along with the fish oils annnnd i take orange triad with its own joint and flex complex..i didn't want to be limited in the gym..had to attack the problem at hand
  15. Registered User
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    MD
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,315
    Rep Power
    21263

    Quote Originally Posted by determinator View Post
    technically yes because it would help strengthen the upper chest/shoulder...but to give you dead honest answer i don't think anything is gunnna help that pain unless you start up on super cissus..i didn't stop benching i just changed how i benched by switching to dumbells.. but my shoulder only hurt on flat bench barbell and nothing else. helps me get stronger on the bench because of all the extra muscles being used to balance the weight in each arm...incline bench isn't going to be ur cure...u need to regenerate and heal that shoulder IMO ..just giving my two cents

    i don't work out anymore by what does or doesnt hurt me anymore..cissus helped my shoulder along with the fish oils annnnd i take orange triad with its own joint and flex complex..i didn't want to be limited in the gym..had to attack the problem at hand
    Well I mean I can live with jsut doign close grip and everything else with the dumbbells. I know close grip target the triceps, but how much does it work the chest?
  16. Registered User
    determinator's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  158 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Buffalo NY
    Age
    25
    Posts
    708
    Rep Power
    635680

    Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
    Well I mean I can live with jsut doign close grip and everything else with the dumbbells. I know close grip target the triceps, but how much does it work the chest?
    the wider the grip the more of the chest and the less of triceps...close grip is pretty much all triceps; you might feel alittle in the chest but i wouldn't depend on it to replace your basic press
  17. Registered User
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    MD
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,315
    Rep Power
    21263

    Quote Originally Posted by determinator View Post
    the wider the grip the more of the chest and the less of triceps...close grip is pretty much all triceps; you might feel alittle in the chest but i wouldn't depend on it to replace your basic press
    Greaaat....
  18. Registered User
    determinator's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  158 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Buffalo NY
    Age
    25
    Posts
    708
    Rep Power
    635680

    Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
    Greaaat....
    lol obv not what you wanted to hear...repair the damn shoulder so you can get back on the press! without pain!
  19. Registered User
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    MD
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,315
    Rep Power
    21263

    What about close grip with barbell, flat db press, and incline db press? Btw I can overhead press with no problem.
  20. Registered User
    determinator's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  158 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Buffalo NY
    Age
    25
    Posts
    708
    Rep Power
    635680

    Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
    What about close grip with barbell, flat db press, and incline db press? Btw I can overhead press with no problem.
    no need for the close grip barbell unless your working on tri's..if you can do flat db press and incline then ud be set...what about your decline bench press..thats a lot closer of a grip u might actually like doing it if u dont
  21. Registered User
    determinator's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  158 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Buffalo NY
    Age
    25
    Posts
    708
    Rep Power
    635680

    if you do tri's on chest day then ull end up doing close grip anyways if thats in your routine
  22. Registered User
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    MD
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,315
    Rep Power
    21263

    Quote Originally Posted by determinator View Post
    no need for the close grip barbell unless your working on tri's..if you can do flat db press and incline then ud be set...what about your decline bench press..thats a lot closer of a grip u might actually like doing it if u dont
    I hate incline anything, it feels uncomfortable. As long as I can gain 4" in my chest with just dumbbells.
  23. Registered User
    puccah8808's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,723
    Rep Power
    584048

    Quote Originally Posted by determinator View Post
    stay away from what hurts for alittle and take super cissus and fish oil to help repair the shoulder...works WONDERS literally...that or just do less weight
    Fish oil has def help me with my shoulders!!
    DO IT FOR THE "HOLY, SH*T, YOU GOT HOT"...
  24. Registered User
    determinator's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  158 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Buffalo NY
    Age
    25
    Posts
    708
    Rep Power
    635680

    Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
    I hate incline anything, it feels uncomfortable. As long as I can gain 4" in my chest with just dumbbells.
    pshhhh thats easy dont underrate the dumbells..and do some dumbbell pullovers to widen the chest i've seen great results with dumbess..youll have 4 inches in no time just keep heavy if you can
  25. Registered User
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    MD
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,315
    Rep Power
    21263

    Quote Originally Posted by determinator View Post
    pshhhh thats easy dont underrate the dumbells..and do some dumbbell pullovers to widen the chest i've seen great results with dumbess..youll have 4 inches in no time just keep heavy if you can
    Okay I feel like a real idiot if this is true. I was reading on another form that close grip is where your hands are 2 inches apart and that shoulder width apart is a normal grip. Is this true? If so I can do bench presses just not any wider then having my hands at my sides.
  26. Registered User
    determinator's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  158 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Buffalo NY
    Age
    25
    Posts
    708
    Rep Power
    635680

    Lol yeah shoulder width or a little wider..im prob about two inches wider than shoulder width
    Formutech Fat buring stack log - http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/234711-getting-lean-mean.html
  27. Registered User
    determinator's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  158 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Buffalo NY
    Age
    25
    Posts
    708
    Rep Power
    635680

    Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post

    Okay I feel like a real idiot if this is true. I was reading on another form that close grip is where your hands are 2 inches apart and that shoulder width apart is a normal grip. Is this true? If so I can do bench presses just not any wider then having my hands at my sides.
    Hiw wide were u going? Lol
    Formutech Fat buring stack log - http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/234711-getting-lean-mean.html
  28. Registered User
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    MD
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,315
    Rep Power
    21263

    Quote Originally Posted by determinator View Post
    Hiw wide were u going? Lol
    Pinky on that ring on the bar, sort of 2x shoulder width...Well that explains everything. So I can bench I just need to rest now.
  29. Registered User
    determinator's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  158 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Buffalo NY
    Age
    25
    Posts
    708
    Rep Power
    635680

    Yes ur good to go now..I go thumbs width outside the textured area of the bar
    Formutech Fat buring stack log - http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/234711-getting-lean-mean.html
  30. Registered User
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    MD
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,315
    Rep Power
    21263

    Quote Originally Posted by determinator View Post
    Yes ur good to go now..I go thumbs width outside the textured area of the bar
    Thanks for the advise..lol no wonder I've been having issues. Yeah I'll just stick to benching shoulder with from now on. Thanks a lot man. Just sucks I have to bench 185, but hey as long as I dont damage my shoulder anymore.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Hurt my shoulder doung dips!
    By goingtogrow in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-05-2012, 02:47 PM
  2. Hurt my shoulder, again.
    By Killerkanadia in forum Supplements
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-08-2010, 12:10 PM
  3. Bicepedal tendonitis on flat bench
    By goshawk in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-26-2008, 02:35 PM
  4. THINK I hurt my shoulder :(
    By fst89lx in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-29-2005, 05:35 PM
  5. Is there anyone who doesn't flat bench press at all?
    By Rock Lee in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 06-04-2004, 12:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in