Cage press question

  1. Cage press question


    If I can't get on a power rack to do overhead cage presses, could I do them on a smith machine?


  2. U can! The lifting plan is fixed so you #'s may need to be adjusted until U get use to it.

  3. Quote Originally Posted by cainb96
    If I can't get on a power rack to do overhead cage presses, could I do them on a smith machine?
    Are you talking as far as an overhead pin press or just standard standing OHP? I wouldn't advise using the smith really for anything due to the fixed bar path, moose referred to. Just learn how to clean, easier said then done, but still it'll benefit you in the long run and you won't need a rack.
    •   
       


  4. Neither overhead pin press or just standard standing OHP. Cage press is when you push the bar over ahead against the racks columns. The path is fixed and you slightly lean into it with a staggered stance.

  5. Quote Originally Posted by cainb96
    Neither overhead pin press or just standard standing OHP. Cage press is when you push the bar over ahead against the racks columns. The path is fixed and you slightly lean into it with a staggered stance.
    Ah never heard of it before. What would be the reason for doing something along those lines as opposed to a jammer press.

  6. It just takes the stability aspect out of the equation.
    Always open light. Itís not what you open with, itís what you finish with. Louie Simmons

  7. It also hits the traps some if I recall correctly. Some interesting ways to do exercises differently.

  8. Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk88 View Post
    It also hits the traps some if I recall correctly. Some interesting ways to do exercises differently.
    Correct. It'll really hit the traps if you lean in at the top of the movement.
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com

  9. You don't necessarily need to lean in, any abduction movement involving both the gh and scapulothoracic joint (beyond 90 degrees of pure gh abduction) will involve the upper and lower trap fibers. It comes as a by product of force coupling to create scapulohumeral rhythm.

  10. Yes, but you are supposed to when performing cage presses.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCYS8Y44n8w
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com

  11. Quote Originally Posted by breezy11
    Yes, but you are supposed to when performing cage presses.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCYS8Y44n8w
    Supposed to what? Activate your traps? Regardless of what your doing the trap upper and lower fibers will be active or the scap won't move and you will not be able to abduct past 90 degrees.

  12. I was just saying that you should lean in at the top of the movement...I agree with you.
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com

  13. Quote Originally Posted by breezy11
    I was just saying that you should lean in at the top of the movement...I agree with you.
    Sorry I didn't realize what you were saying

  14. Quote Originally Posted by NYiron View Post

    Sorry I didn't realize what you were saying
    No problem man.
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com

  15. Always open light. Itís not what you open with, itís what you finish with. Louie Simmons
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. rest between sets and bench press question
    By DerickVonD in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 01-10-2011, 01:04 AM
  2. Another Military Press Question
    By Emerge in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-03-2008, 02:53 AM
  3. Push Press Question
    By GXbcmFTO in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-20-2008, 08:09 PM
  4. Floor Press question
    By rxp1997 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-16-2008, 12:15 PM
  5. Incline Bench Press Question
    By MaDmaN in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-27-2007, 11:50 AM
Log in
Log in