Introduction/Advice

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.5%

Introduction/Advice

Hi everyone I'm a new member here. This is my first post and I was interested in what's going on here. I'm 17 years old, and I've never worked out in my life. I'm doing it now and I was wondering if I could have your advice on my training. I'm 6'3" and I'm overweight at 290lbs. I'm not terribly out of shape, but I do have a lot of fat and would like some advice. My goal is to make the basketball team next year at my highschool. I'm easily the tallest person in high school here, and my teacher told me I could grow to 6'8". My arms are 6'8" and I've never had a growth spurt, I've just always been bigger than others. So it's possible I suppose.
    Here's my workout currently- 3miles jog, everyday
    Basic weight training workout 3 times a week
    Shooting baskets for 1 hour everyday
    Some extra cardio on the days I'm not doing weights.
    I have about 6 months to get in good shape. I'm sticking to about an 2800 calorie diet, but low carbs and tons of protein. I really want to accomplish my goal, and ill do anything to get there. Give me any advice or recommendations to get where I need to be. Final weight isn't as important as endurance, VERTICAL, strength, and fat to muscle conversion. Please tell me anything and everything you can suggest and ill work at it. I have the motivation, tell me what to do. Thanks!

2. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.58%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityPosting Pro

I suggest starting strength. Go to rippetoe's site and buy the book. IMO, SS is the best template for novice lifters.

Good luck...
  3. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37.05%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

SS, 5/3/1, 5x5.. all solid programs
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.15%

Once you are comfortable running 3 miles you should really get doing more basketball specific conditioning. Basketball is an intermittent sport, with periods of walking, sprinting, jogging, and jousting for position. Train in such a way: look into shuttle runs, sprints, shuffle drills, suicides, etc.

Jason Cholewa, Ph.D., CSCS
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.5%

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. Is 2800 cals a day ok if they're mostly protein? Or should I eat less? Also, I know I have conditioning, even though I'm overweight I can probably run for a much longer time than my friends because of my height and conditioning. I just want quickness and explosiveness. What specific drill would you recommend? I'm going to hopefully so this everyday from about 5-6 am
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.15%

Quote Originally Posted by Complik View Post
    Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. Is 2800 cals a day ok if they're mostly protein? Or should I eat less? Also, I know I have conditioning, even though I'm overweight I can probably run for a much longer time than my friends because of my height and conditioning. I just want quickness and explosiveness. What specific drill would you recommend? I'm going to hopefully so this everyday from about 5-6 am
    I'm not sure how many calories you need, but I wouldn't go much below that number.

Conditioning as in being able to run for a long time IS NOT the same as being conditioned for basketball. You need SPECIFIC conditioning, anaerobic conditioning, not aerobic.

As a brief example, try doing this

6 x 120 yard shuttle runs (20 yards and back three times) with 45 seconds of rest in between each. Record the time for your first and your last, and compare the two. The bigger the difference, the lower your level of conditioning.

This is a little more basketball specific, and will give you some anaerobic conditioning.

For speed, you need to first learn how to sprint and accelerate correctly. Here are some training idea's: http://jasoncholewa.com/2013/03/08/resisted-sprinting/

Then, you need to turn that into basketball specific running patterns - such as sprinting from baseline to freethrow line, stopping on a dime, then turning 180 and sprinting back.

Jason Cholewa, Ph.D. CSCS
  7. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  290 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.9%
    Achievements Reputation Pro

I would play ball at least 3 times a week against good competition. Join a league. Training for a sport is important but I have seen very fit people who are horrible at basketball. Basketball intelligence is as important as physical conditioning.
  8. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.73%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityReputation VeteranPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

WSB4SB
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  9. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.5%

Thanks for the suggestions. Been trying to play as much as possible. Any more suggestions?
  10. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.24%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityReputation VeteranReputation RoyaltyPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    WSB4SB
    This is my suggestion as well, plus 2x a week dedicated to sport specific conditioning.
    Body Performance Solutions Representative

Check out our products at www.bpsnutrition.net
    Check out our FaceBook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Body-Performance-Solutions/191322614238042
  11. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.65%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityReputation VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    Once you are comfortable running 3 miles you should really get doing more basketball specific conditioning. Basketball is an intermittent sport, with periods of walking, sprinting, jogging, and jousting for position. Train in such a way: look into shuttle runs, sprints, shuffle drills, suicides, etc.

Jason Cholewa, Ph.D., CSCS
    I 100% agree with this. Basketball does have a requirement for an aerobic base; not so much to be able to sustain you for the entire duration of the game but rather to allow for maximum and faster recovery during periods of 'rest' between periods of HIIT.

The best way to be better at something is to mimic the environment or exercise protols in which the sport operates. Weighted pelvic thrusts (looks funny in the gym) help tremendously with being explosive off the line

Similar Forum Threads

1. Introduction to Steroid Hormones
    By pogue in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-09-2003, 05:41 PM
  2. ph newbie needs advice
    By metacat in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-28-2002, 12:24 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-16-2002, 05:55 PM
  4. Need some advice.