Need a bigger back(lats)!!

  1. Registered User
    MiniGun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    49
    Answers
    0

    Need a bigger back(lats)!!


    Help i need a better back program im limited to free weights only as there is no gym in my very small town i workout in a shed by my house but hey whatever works, im seeing fairly impressive results everywhere else however i cant seem to get my lats to pop out, i would like the v shape but im having difficulty achieving it any suggestions, routines, etc... Thanks

  2. Registered User
    asooneyeonig's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,175
    Answers
    0


    One word to rule them all, rows. It's the answer to all your prayers. Bent rows, pendlay rows, 1 arm rows. Hi weight for bent rows, hi reps for 1 arm rows.

    To supplement you can do dead lifts, inverted rows, swings, and pullovers.
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
  3. Registered User
    Doss's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    324
    Answers
    0


    Ozzie mentioned deads, but I think they deserve mentioning again. They've done more for my back (and entire physique really) than any other exercise save squats. By building up the traps and erectors your entire back will look better.

    One thing that I've found effective that Ozzie didn't mention are pull/chin-ups. I usually do reps of 8-12 and get a full stretch at the botttom. At my last competition my back was my strongest bodypart by far. Work your way up to 12 reps with a 45 slung around your waist and I guarantee you'll have grown some wings! Even small towns have parks, and almost all parks have something you can do pull ups on. Start with bodyweight and work up to a couple of sets of at least 10 reps and you should see some improvements.
    Go hard. Go heavy. Never stop.
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    pmdied's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    287
    Answers
    0


    ^^This. The king of back building.
  5. Registered User
    herderdude's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    5,473
    Answers
    3


    Along with what's been said, I say first or second in your session hit some snatch grip deads from 4" blocks, or a rack, or a floor if your equipment is limited. 3-5 sets of 8. Watch how your back changes as your snatch grips go up.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/230377-13-weeks-rps.html
  6. Registered User
    MiniGun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    49
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Doss View Post
    Ozzie mentioned deads, but I think they deserve mentioning again. They've done more for my back (and entire physique really) than any other exercise save squats. By building up the traps and erectors your entire back will look better.

    One thing that I've found effective that Ozzie didn't mention are pull/chin-ups. I usually do reps of 8-12 and get a full stretch at the botttom. At my last competition my back was my strongest bodypart by far. Work your way up to 12 reps with a 45 slung around your waist and I guarantee you'll have grown some wings! Even small towns have parks, and almost all parks have something you can do pull ups on. Start with bodyweight and work up to a couple of sets of at least 10 reps and you should see some improvements.
    I have a Gold's pull up bar nailed up to the rafters i can get 4 sets of 8 reps but i cant go very wide due to the width of the bar itself, im thinkin i need to invest in a power tower especially because its a lil risky using just b/w on he bar nevertheless a 45 around the waist
  7. Registered User
    Torobestia's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,199
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by asooneyeonig View Post
    One word to rule them all, rows. It's the answer to all your prayers. Bent rows, pendlay rows, 1 arm rows. Hi weight for bent rows, hi reps for 1 arm rows.

    To supplement you can do dead lifts, inverted rows, swings, and pullovers.
    This + pullups/chinups to work the lats in the vertical plane. Make sure with pullups that you remember to bring your chest to the bar and to pull with your lats, not with your arms.
    Check your form: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/190675-proper-techniques.html
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/235436-tossing-weight-torobestia.html
  8. Registered User
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by herderdude View Post
    Along with what's been said, I say first or second in your session hit some snatch grip deads from 4" blocks, or a rack, or a floor if your equipment is limited. 3-5 sets of 8. Watch how your back changes as your snatch grips go up.
    ^^This.

    Here's how:
    http://jasoncholewa.com/2013/03/05/s...grip-deadlift/

    Jason Cholewa, Ph.D., CSCS
  9. Registered User
    Bigcountry08's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  255 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    665
    Answers
    0


    You got a big area by your shed? Take advantage, I with I still lived in the country, build a pull-up station. Go to a hard wear store and buy a few pipes, and a bag of cement and build a pull-up station hell if your good at welding build a full rack, you can build a dip station. Go to a farm sale and get a nice heavy duty Lully weld it to the side of the rack then build a cheap metal T with a loop on the end that you can fit your weights on, Bam you got a old old school lay pull down station. Pimp that barn out man!

    Oh yeah, deads, pull-ups, and rows will build a bigger back to.
    Bigcountry's Getting a little smaller: Epi/Stano Log

    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/cycle-info/231194-bigcountrys-getting-little.html
  10. Registered User
    MiniGun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    49
    Answers
    0


    Yea i live on a cattle farm PLENTY of wide open space the post and pipe would be cheaper than a power tower. i think iv'e got some 4x4 post lying around anyhow plus ive already got a homemade dip/squat bar
  11. Registered User
    Swanson52's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Age
    39
    Posts
    3,075
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by MiniGun View Post
    Yea i live on a cattle farm PLENTY of wide open space the post and pipe would be cheaper than a power tower. i think iv'e got some 4x4 post lying around anyhow plus ive already got a homemade dip/squat bar
    Cattle farm? Really?
    Don't worry, man, someday I'ma be nobody too.
  12. Registered User
    MiniGun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    49
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Swanson52 View Post

    Cattle farm? Really?
    Yea here's a pic off my back porch
    Attached Images Attached Images  
  13. Registered User
    MiniGun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    49
    Answers
    0


    The " gym"
    Attached Images Attached Images  
  14. Registered User
    Kinggrommet's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  216 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    241
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post

    ^^This.

    Here's how:
    http://jasoncholewa.com/2013/03/05/s...grip-deadlift/

    Jason Cholewa, Ph.D., CSCS
    Holy hell that chick has a serious back!!!
  15. Registered User
    MiniGun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    49
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Kinggrommet View Post

    Holy hell that chick has a serious back!!!
    Her back is on point though!
  16. Registered User
    PaulBlack's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,804
    Answers
    0


    Mini, love the pics/gym. You got a little bit o' heaven there, IMHO...!
  17. Registered User
    Agent Orange's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  158 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    143
    Answers
    0


    Mini- Which state do you live in? Those pics remind me of Oklahoma.
  18. Registered User
    Swanson52's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Age
    39
    Posts
    3,075
    Answers
    0


    I was kind of making fun of you...the cattle folk I know have ranches.
    Don't worry, man, someday I'ma be nobody too.
  19. Registered User
    MiniGun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    49
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    Mini- Which state do you live in? Those pics remind me of Oklahoma.
    Kentucky
  20. Registered User
    MiniGun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    49
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Swanson52 View Post
    I was kind of making fun of you...the cattle folk I know have ranches.
    Yeah i got your sarcasm we call em farms in KY
  21. Registered User
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by MiniGun View Post
    Kentucky
    Ha, me too. I wish my view resembled yours, I live in the urb/suburban mess of Lexington.
  22. Registered User
    MiniGun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    49
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post

    Ha, me too. I wish my view resembled yours, I live in the urb/suburban mess of Lexington.
    My bro lives in lexington he goes to UK
  23. Registered User
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by MiniGun View Post
    My bro lives in lexington he goes to UK
    Any chance he's a kinesiology major? I might be one of his professors.

    http://education.uky.edu/KHP/content/faculty#cholewa

    Jason Cholewa, Ph.D., CSCS
  24. Registered User
    MiniGun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    49
    Answers
    0


    I think he is majoring in mechanical engineering his name is Clifton
  25. Registered User
    MiniGun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    49
    Answers
    0


    Unfortunately after receiving all this awesome advice I was involved in a car wreck, I cracked my C7 in three spots docs told me i'll be outta commission for three months at least, does anyone have any therapy advice. I AM NOT going to let this injury stop me from achieving my goals, please help me out guys

    Name:  image-3967920357.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  458.1 KB



    Name:  image-1686261375.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  646.8 KB
  26. Registered User
    mikeg313's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,310
    Answers
    0


    Wow! I just saw this thread and read through it and got to your post you just did a few minutes ago. Glad you made it out of that alive , looks like you rolled the car and i see a child seat. Please tell me a child wasnt in there, and if so that they're ok! I assume so seeing this all just happened and you took time to post here

    All I can recommend is that you take your time healing and make sure insurance pays for you to see a good phys. therapist. Look for one that specializes in athletic rehabilitation from injuries. I had to go through three to get one that got me in shape to lift and be athletically active again after my motorcycle accident that lead to a shoulder surgery and a scapula surgery. I also had compressed C6/7 vertabret that got sets of cortisone injections during pt. I had PT 3 times a week and listened and followed all I was told and now I'm lifting more then I did before thosr injuries. Take care and good luck,
  27. Registered User
    herderdude's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    5,473
    Answers
    3


    I have to second what Mike says. Don't ask us hunkies how to rehab a serious injury. Talk to your doctor and have them hook you up with good physical therapy. I had a lower thoracic back injury and after I got reprogrammed a little bit, I came back even stronger.
  28. Registered User
    MiniGun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    49
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by mikeg313 View Post
    Wow! I just saw this thread and read through it and got to your post you just did a few minutes ago. Glad you made it out of that alive , looks like you rolled the car and i see a child seat. Please tell me a child wasnt in there, and if so that they're ok! I assume so seeing this all just happened and you took time to post here

    All I can recommend is that you take your time healing and make sure insurance pays for you to see a good phys. therapist. Look for one that specializes in athletic rehabilitation from injuries. I had to go through three to get one that got me in shape to lift and be athletically active again after my motorcycle accident that lead to a shoulder surgery and a scapula surgery. I also had compressed C6/7 vertabret that got sets of cortisone injections during pt. I had PT 3 times a week and listened and followed all I was told and now I'm lifting more then I did before thosr injuries. Take care and good luck,
    Thanks man, my baby wasnt with me at the time just to ease your'e mind the docs say im doin good so far i will for sure look into the athletic rehab
  29. Registered User
    thegodfather's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  213 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,045
    Answers
    0


    Dang that was a turn of events! Glad you're ok and have a good prognosis. Take your time and heal bro, you have YEARS to train. Never underestimate the heart of a lifter.
    Remember why you started.
  30. Registered User
    PaulBlack's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,804
    Answers
    0


    Yeah the human body is pretty darn resilient, but you have to take care of it too. Find out what you can and can't do from the PT's etc. and hang in there and take time to heal.
  31. Registered User
    Bigcountry08's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  255 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    665
    Answers
    0


    Oh man this is horrible, sorry to hear this. But like everyone else is saying be patient and heal. Even if you lose a lot of your gains don't sweat it. They will come back really fast. Hope you have a fast and really positive recovery. Keep us updated, and maybe start a thread asking about a good therapist in your area. Nows the time to plan for the future, so you can get back to pushin iron fast.
    Bigcountry's Getting a little smaller: Epi/Stano Log

    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/cycle-info/231194-bigcountrys-getting-little.html
  32. Registered User
    MiniGun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    49
    Answers
    0


    Well it looks like I can lift again, praise The Lord and pass the ammunition, I've been cleared by both the doctor and physical therapist. Can't wait to start my new program I've been studying new lift and techniques, nutrition and supplements, thanks for the support and information, Happy Lifting!
  33. Registered User
    Doss's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    324
    Answers
    0


    Speedy recovery, man. Getting injured isn't fun.
    Go hard. Go heavy. Never stop.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. need help getting my lats bigger
    By Montesano813 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-08-2010, 08:21 AM
  2. First PCT need some feed back!
    By aweiman in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-18-2007, 12:26 AM
  3. Need help getting back on track
    By theshocker21 in forum Bulking
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-01-2006, 02:34 PM
  4. new to the board. need help getting back into AAS
    By blackjack in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-18-2004, 10:12 AM
  5. Help me out im needing some upper back thickness
    By good_guye28 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-08-2004, 07:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in