Need a bigger back(lats)!!

MiniGun

MiniGun

Awards
Help i need a better back program im limited to free weights only as there is no gym in my very small town i workout in a shed by my house but hey whatever works, im seeing fairly impressive results everywhere else however i cant seem to get my lats to pop out, i would like the v shape but im having difficulty achieving it any suggestions, routines, etc... Thanks

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
One word to rule them all, rows. It's the answer to all your prayers. Bent rows, pendlay rows, 1 arm rows. Hi weight for bent rows, hi reps for 1 arm rows.

To supplement you can do dead lifts, inverted rows, swings, and pullovers.

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
Ozzie mentioned deads, but I think they deserve mentioning again. They've done more for my back (and entire physique really) than any other exercise save squats. By building up the traps and erectors your entire back will look better.

One thing that I've found effective that Ozzie didn't mention are pull/chin-ups. I usually do reps of 8-12 and get a full stretch at the botttom. At my last competition my back was my strongest bodypart by far. Work your way up to 12 reps with a 45 slung around your waist and I guarantee you'll have grown some wings! Even small towns have parks, and almost all parks have something you can do pull ups on. Start with bodyweight and work up to a couple of sets of at least 10 reps and you should see some improvements.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Along with what's been said, I say first or second in your session hit some snatch grip deads from 4" blocks, or a rack, or a floor if your equipment is limited. 3-5 sets of 8. Watch how your back changes as your snatch grips go up.

MiniGun

MiniGun

Awards
Ozzie mentioned deads, but I think they deserve mentioning again. They've done more for my back (and entire physique really) than any other exercise save squats. By building up the traps and erectors your entire back will look better.

One thing that I've found effective that Ozzie didn't mention are pull/chin-ups. I usually do reps of 8-12 and get a full stretch at the botttom. At my last competition my back was my strongest bodypart by far. Work your way up to 12 reps with a 45 slung around your waist and I guarantee you'll have grown some wings! Even small towns have parks, and almost all parks have something you can do pull ups on. Start with bodyweight and work up to a couple of sets of at least 10 reps and you should see some improvements.
I have a Gold's pull up bar nailed up to the rafters i can get 4 sets of 8 reps but i cant go very wide due to the width of the bar itself, im thinkin i need to invest in a power tower especially because its a lil risky using just b/w on he bar nevertheless a 45 around the waist

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
One word to rule them all, rows. It's the answer to all your prayers. Bent rows, pendlay rows, 1 arm rows. Hi weight for bent rows, hi reps for 1 arm rows.

To supplement you can do dead lifts, inverted rows, swings, and pullovers.
This + pullups/chinups to work the lats in the vertical plane. Make sure with pullups that you remember to bring your chest to the bar and to pull with your lats, not with your arms.

Bigcountry08

Bigcountry08

Awards
  • Established
You got a big area by your shed? Take advantage, I with I still lived in the country, build a pull-up station. Go to a hard wear store and buy a few pipes, and a bag of cement and build a pull-up station hell if your good at welding build a full rack, you can build a dip station. Go to a farm sale and get a nice heavy duty Lully weld it to the side of the rack then build a cheap metal T with a loop on the end that you can fit your weights on, Bam you got a old old school lay pull down station. Pimp that barn out man!

Oh yeah, deads, pull-ups, and rows will build a bigger back to.

MiniGun

MiniGun

Awards
Yea i live on a cattle farm PLENTY of wide open space the post and pipe would be cheaper than a power tower. i think iv'e got some 4x4 post lying around anyhow plus ive already got a homemade dip/squat bar

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yea i live on a cattle farm PLENTY of wide open space the post and pipe would be cheaper than a power tower. i think iv'e got some 4x4 post lying around anyhow plus ive already got a homemade dip/squat bar
Cattle farm? Really?

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Mini, love the pics/gym. You got a little bit o' heaven there, IMHO...!

Agent Orange

Agent Orange

Awards
Mini- Which state do you live in? Those pics remind me of Oklahoma.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I was kind of making fun of you...the cattle folk I know have ranches. ;)

MiniGun

MiniGun

Awards
I think he is majoring in mechanical engineering his name is Clifton

MiniGun

MiniGun

Awards
Unfortunately after receiving all this awesome advice I was involved in a car wreck, I cracked my C7 in three spots docs told me i'll be outta commission for three months at least, does anyone have any therapy advice. I AM NOT going to let this injury stop me from achieving my goals, please help me out guys

image-3967920357.jpg

image-1686261375.jpg

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
Wow! I just saw this thread and read through it and got to your post you just did a few minutes ago. Glad you made it out of that alive , looks like you rolled the car and i see a child seat. Please tell me a child wasnt in there, and if so that they're ok! I assume so seeing this all just happened and you took time to post here

All I can recommend is that you take your time healing and make sure insurance pays for you to see a good phys. therapist. Look for one that specializes in athletic rehabilitation from injuries. I had to go through three to get one that got me in shape to lift and be athletically active again after my motorcycle accident that lead to a shoulder surgery and a scapula surgery. I also had compressed C6/7 vertabret that got sets of cortisone injections during pt. I had PT 3 times a week and listened and followed all I was told and now I'm lifting more then I did before thosr injuries. Take care and good luck,

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have to second what Mike says. Don't ask us hunkies how to rehab a serious injury. Talk to your doctor and have them hook you up with good physical therapy. I had a lower thoracic back injury and after I got reprogrammed a little bit, I came back even stronger.

MiniGun

MiniGun

Awards
Wow! I just saw this thread and read through it and got to your post you just did a few minutes ago. Glad you made it out of that alive , looks like you rolled the car and i see a child seat. Please tell me a child wasnt in there, and if so that they're ok! I assume so seeing this all just happened and you took time to post here

All I can recommend is that you take your time healing and make sure insurance pays for you to see a good phys. therapist. Look for one that specializes in athletic rehabilitation from injuries. I had to go through three to get one that got me in shape to lift and be athletically active again after my motorcycle accident that lead to a shoulder surgery and a scapula surgery. I also had compressed C6/7 vertabret that got sets of cortisone injections during pt. I had PT 3 times a week and listened and followed all I was told and now I'm lifting more then I did before thosr injuries. Take care and good luck,
Thanks man, my baby wasnt with me at the time just to ease your'e mind the docs say im doin good so far i will for sure look into the athletic rehab

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
Dang that was a turn of events! Glad you're ok and have a good prognosis. Take your time and heal bro, you have YEARS to train. Never underestimate the heart of a lifter.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah the human body is pretty darn resilient, but you have to take care of it too. Find out what you can and can't do from the PT's etc. and hang in there and take time to heal.

Bigcountry08

Bigcountry08

Awards
  • Established
Oh man this is horrible, sorry to hear this. But like everyone else is saying be patient and heal. Even if you lose a lot of your gains don't sweat it. They will come back really fast. Hope you have a fast and really positive recovery. Keep us updated, and maybe start a thread asking about a good therapist in your area. Nows the time to plan for the future, so you can get back to pushin iron fast.

MiniGun

MiniGun

Awards
Well it looks like I can lift again, praise The Lord and pass the ammunition, I've been cleared by both the doctor and physical therapist. Can't wait to start my new program I've been studying new lift and techniques, nutrition and supplements, thanks for the support and information, Happy Lifting!

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
Speedy recovery, man. Getting injured isn't fun.