CSCS certification requirments!?!?

  1. New Member
    Moose45's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    455
    Rep Power
    48651
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    59.54%

    CSCS certification requirments!?!?


    I just took the pre-test and got 27 out of the 45 questions. I have no college education but have studied what I love to some degree. I am 45 and well read enough to, if given the time and resources to prepare believe I could pass this exam. I have always found it arrogant of some bodies of learning to exclude those who could get a certification like this but don't meet some made up standard to take the exam. But to those of you who are lucky enough to meet the requirement: Good Luck!!!

  2. New Member
    Moose45's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    455
    Rep Power
    48651
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    59.54%

    Sorry for the rant everybody. Looking to get into training others and know I have to take the proper steps to do so. Just can't get over this type of thinking.
  3. New Member
    ITW's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    437
    Rep Power
    12514
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    79.85%

    Quote Originally Posted by Moose45 View Post
    Sorry for the rant everybody. Looking to get into training others and know I have to take the proper steps to do so. Just can't get over this type of thinking.
    Find a different certification that doesn't require a degree?
    •   
       

  4. Senior Member
    OnionKnight's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,390
    Rep Power
    466001
    Level
    44
    Lv. Percent
    18.52%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    just go with nasm then
  5. New Member
    KimChee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    132
    Rep Power
    501
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    45.65%

    I guess they wanted to have a minimum standard of a BA/BS which weeds out the people that don't have one..the silly part to me anyways is that it can be a bachelor's degree in anything...more and more it seems like a bachelor's is becoming the minimum standard, it doesn't hold the same weight it did years ago..

    In PT, you could become a PT years ago with a Bachelors, its moved to Masters and now DPT...so all that much more learning and debt, and for possibly not much if any increase over some regular PT's. The APTA's goal is for PT's to write their own prescriptions, and discharges without the PC's, so the logical move is for PT's to become DPT's by 2020..I forget..and Ive gone off on a tangent, but anyways..things are changing perhaps the governing body has some long term goal.
    PT, DPT, OCS Clinical Residency
  6. Pro Virili Parte
    JudoJosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Age
    30
    Posts
    9,077
    Rep Power
    2822844
    Level
    81
    Lv. Percent
    61.26%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    You honestly dont need any cert to start training people. Most gyms will require one so you can prolly get a ACE or something along those lines relatively easy just to please the gym but ultimately most of the teachings of these certifying bodies are outdated
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  7. Professional Member
    napalm's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Age
    50
    Posts
    4,278
    Rep Power
    438364
    Level
    55
    Lv. Percent
    96.68%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    All of the certs are one thing and one thing only: a foot in the door...
  8. New Member
    ITW's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    437
    Rep Power
    12514
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    79.85%

    Quote Originally Posted by napalm View Post
    All of the certs are one thing and one thing only: a foot in the door...
    ^ this
  9. Senior Member
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Rep Power
    297851
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    77.78%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by KimChee View Post
    I guess they wanted to have a minimum standard of a BA/BS which weeds out the people that don't have one..the silly part to me anyways is that it can be a bachelor's degree in anything...more and more it seems like a bachelor's is becoming the minimum standard, it doesn't hold the same weight it did years ago..

    In PT, you could become a PT years ago with a Bachelors, its moved to Masters and now DPT...so all that much more learning and debt, and for possibly not much if any increase over some regular PT's. The APTA's goal is for PT's to write their own prescriptions, and discharges without the PC's, so the logical move is for PT's to become DPT's by 2020..I forget..and Ive gone off on a tangent, but anyways..things are changing perhaps the governing body has some long term goal.
    Sadly you are right. I took and passed my CSCS 6 years ago just by studying the book, reading extra materials, and experience. I had at that time a BA in marketing.

    Even with a Ph.D. now, most major research intensive universities (all your big schools) require 2-3 years of post doc experience to even consider your for a tenure track position. Most bachelor degrees are a high school diploma - are you not an idiot? I think some of this is pressure by students/parents on the kids paper grade, versus the knowledge they come out with. My teaching performances are based solely on student evaluations, which basically come down to: A. Are you more entertaining for 50 minutes than facebook, and B. Did you give us a good review sheet?

    Jason Cholewa, Ph.D, CSCS
  10. New Member
    Moose45's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    455
    Rep Power
    48651
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    59.54%

    Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post

    Sadly you are right. I took and passed my CSCS 6 years ago just by studying the book, reading extra materials, and experience. I had at that time a BA in marketing.

    Even with a Ph.D. now, most major research intensive universities (all your big schools) require 2-3 years of post doc experience to even consider your for a tenure track position. Most bachelor degrees are a high school diploma - are you not an idiot? I think some of this is pressure by students/parents on the kids paper grade, versus the knowledge they come out with. My teaching performances are based solely on student evaluations, which basically come down to: A. Are you more entertaining for 50 minutes than facebook, and B. Did you give us a good review sheet?

    Jason Cholewa, Ph.D, CSCS
    This is the problem! I have read a lot of material on a verity of subjects pertaining to the field of diet/exercise science. I am far from being an idiot or some magazine reader who thinks Flex, muscle and fitness ect... are where to go for real information. Just think something that demands a prerequisite with no other options of attainment is a close minded way to do things!!
  11. New Member
    NYiron's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    431
    Rep Power
    36883
    Level
    20
    Lv. Percent
    90.88%

    Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED

    Sadly you are right. I took and passed my CSCS 6 years ago just by studying the book, reading extra materials, and experience. I had at that time a BA in marketing.

    Even with a Ph.D. now, most major research intensive universities (all your big schools) require 2-3 years of post doc experience to even consider your for a tenure track position. Most bachelor degrees are a high school diploma - are you not an idiot? I think some of this is pressure by students/parents on the kids paper grade, versus the knowledge they come out with. My teaching performances are based solely on student evaluations, which basically come down to: A. Are you more entertaining for 50 minutes than facebook, and B. Did you give us a good review sheet?

    Jason Cholewa, Ph.D, CSCS
    Speaking from the other side of the fence I am in complete agreement, just like in anything you get out of it what you put in. The range of knowledge in the classroom is staggering. As you have said, I feel its getting worse and a bachelors really doesn't mean much anymore. I feel, and see, that grading policies and standards have gone soft, in my experience at least. Students are pushed through with grades they no where near deserve and IMO it all comes back to the almighty dollar. You've hit the nail on the head with the reasons you've stated Zir. Coming from a private university you get a lot of silver spoon babies and a big part of degradation of degrees I feel comes from that entitlement and ensuing complacency. It echoes undertones of the students feeling that they're doing the professors, or their parents, a favor by being there and it makes me sick. On one hand you've got in depth discussion while on the other you've got students still trying to grasp the basics but yet they'll still graduate with the same degree, no differentiation.
  12. New Member
    KimChee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    132
    Rep Power
    501
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    45.65%

    I don't say that to knock people who have a bachelors in "anything" or the program, just that for someone like the OP it makes it hard for him to get into a CSCS type program...technically you can have a bachelors in anything, and get a graduate degree while picking up the appropriate credits, ..most of my classmates had a bachelors in either exercise phys, or pre-PT, some Athletic training, the ones in exer phys seemed to do the best initially til everyone kind of caught up. My BS happened to be in Biology lol.

    Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    Sadly you are right. I took and passed my CSCS 6 years ago just by studying the book, reading extra materials, and experience. I had at that time a BA in marketing.

    Even with a Ph.D. now, most major research intensive universities (all your big schools) require 2-3 years of post doc experience to even consider your for a tenure track position. Most bachelor degrees are a high school diploma - are you not an idiot? I think some of this is pressure by students/parents on the kids paper grade, versus the knowledge they come out with. My teaching performances are based solely on student evaluations, which basically come down to: A. Are you more entertaining for 50 minutes than facebook, and B. Did you give us a good review sheet?

    Jason Cholewa, Ph.D, CSCS
    PT, DPT, OCS Clinical Residency
  13. New Member
    KimChee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    132
    Rep Power
    501
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    45.65%

    I agree with this sentiment, and this is true in academia, you get what you get out of it. I was fortunate enough in my UG studies to get a full ride due to a wrestling scholarship, but during my graduate studies it was clear that most of my classmates came from money..unfortunately that is what it boils down to in the end..you want something you have to jump through the hoops, you also have to have the money and time to do it, if you don't sorry about your luck.

    Quote Originally Posted by NYiron View Post
    Speaking from the other side of the fence I am in complete agreement, just like in anything you get out of it what you put in. The range of knowledge in the classroom is staggering. As you have said, I feel its getting worse and a bachelors really doesn't mean much anymore. I feel, and see, that grading policies and standards have gone soft, in my experience at least. Students are pushed through with grades they no where near deserve and IMO it all comes back to the almighty dollar. You've hit the nail on the head with the reasons you've stated Zir. Coming from a private university you get a lot of silver spoon babies and a big part of degradation of degrees I feel comes from that entitlement and ensuing complacency. It echoes undertones of the students feeling that they're doing the professors, or their parents, a favor by being there and it makes me sick. On one hand you've got in depth discussion while on the other you've got students still trying to grasp the basics but yet they'll still graduate with the same degree, no differentiation.
    PT, DPT, OCS Clinical Residency
  14. Banned
    JoeySon's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    811
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    47.2%

    Quote Originally Posted by KimChee View Post
    I agree with this sentiment, and this is true in academia, you get what you get out of it. I was fortunate enough in my UG studies to get a full ride due to a wrestling scholarship, but during my graduate studies it was clear that most of my classmates came from money..unfortunately that is what it boils down to in the end..you want something you have to jump through the hoops, you also have to have the money and time to do it, if you don't sorry about your luck.


    That's the sad truth. If college was free I honestly feel I would have no problem going to school for most of my life and working towards a masters or even a PHD. However, that's not the case and I come from a lower class family where the financial help simply isn't there.

    This topic probably deserves its own thread and I don't mean to open a Pandora's box lol
  15. New Member
    KimChee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    132
    Rep Power
    501
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    45.65%

    College is expensive, it is still very much for the upper class, I was a bit naive when I entered the PT program, and it was only after a while, that I realized that some of my classmates were backpacking across Papa New Guinea and vacationing in exotic places, going out partying all the time while I delivered pizzas and got almost no sleep. This isn't a whoa is me thing it's just perspective, it is what it is.

    I come from nothing, a working class family, and I am the first person in my family to go to college. Obviously, the financial support and guidance were not there for me, and so I had to seek advice elsewhere. There are plenty of people who are smart enough to succeed in a graduate program, but simply don't have the financial backing or time to do so. The loans are there if you want to take them however, it's a big risk, if you fail you're out all that money, with no degree to show for it, and then what. This is the way I thought anyways, but glad I went through with it. I know plenty of others who have gone through various programs, failed their national boards and now are looking at huge debt, and working random jobs.




    Quote Originally Posted by JoeySon View Post
    [/B]

    That's the sad truth. If college was free I honestly feel I would have no problem going to school for most of my life and working towards a masters or even a PHD. However, that's not the case and I come from a lower class family where the financial help simply isn't there.

    This topic probably deserves its own thread and I don't mean to open a Pandora's box lol
    PT, DPT, OCS Clinical Residency
  16. New Member
    Moose45's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    455
    Rep Power
    48651
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    59.54%

    I am glad to see people have taken the risk when they could. I took another path though rough at times it was a choice. I have become somewhat successful in the businesses I have open and don't regret that at all. I just think if you don't have the college credentials they should offer a aptitude test of some sort to try and sit for the exam. At the cost of whomever would want to. I always think if you are going to let someone represent U.(the organization offering the cert.) U should take all comers! If they pass there is no damage to its credibility/validity and who it represents.
  17. Banned
    JoeySon's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    811
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    47.2%

    Quote Originally Posted by KimChee View Post
    College is expensive, it is still very much for the upper class, I was a bit naive when I entered the PT program, and it was only after a while, that I realized that some of my classmates were backpacking across Papa New Guinea and vacationing in exotic places, going out partying all the time while I delivered pizzas and got almost no sleep. This isn't a whoa is me thing it's just perspective, it is what it is.

    I come from nothing, a working class family, and I am the first person in my family to go to college. Obviously, the financial support and guidance were not there for me, and so I had to seek advice elsewhere. There are plenty of people who are smart enough to succeed in a graduate program, but simply don't have the financial backing or time to do so. The loans are there if you want to take them however, it's a big risk, if you fail you're out all that money, with no degree to show for it, and then what. This is the way I thought anyways, but glad I went through with it. I know plenty of others who have gone through various programs, failed their national boards and now are looking at huge debt, and working random jobs.
    The worst part to me (now I'm getting on a rant, sorry OP) is when you see these kids you speak of going on vacation and what not pissing it all away. When I went to school and got an associates in culinary arts my roommate was on a free ride from mommy and daddy. All this kid did was party, smoke, drink, and skip all his classes and he didn't even care because he knew the checks would keep coming regardless.

    Talk about something that really grinds my gears lol
  18. Senior Member
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Rep Power
    297851
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    77.78%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeySon View Post
    The worst part to me (now I'm getting on a rant, sorry OP) is when you see these kids you speak of going on vacation and what not pissing it all away. When I went to school and got an associates in culinary arts my roommate was on a free ride from mommy and daddy. All this kid did was party, smoke, drink, and skip all his classes and he didn't even care because he knew the checks would keep coming regardless.

    Talk about something that really grinds my gears lol
    We can be envious and resentful, but where does it get us? Sometimes the all out work put in, and the accomplishment on your self is worth more than the degree itself.

    Jason Cholewa, Ph.D., CSCS
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. M1T while on required dose of T4?
    By powerlifter6920 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-16-2004, 10:43 PM
  2. calorie requirement zip file?
    By hamper19 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-19-2004, 12:01 PM
  3. does this require a post cycle?
    By ironbeamz in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-07-2003, 04:24 PM
  4. Personal trainer certification?
    By spoofy in forum General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-22-2003, 07:29 PM
  5. Does the amount of 6-OXO required vary?
    By Andy2k in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-13-2003, 08:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in