Bench Press Plateau

Rarchib

Rarchib

Awards
I've been stuck at a plateau in terms of my bench press max for the past year now and I've been trying various different exercises and sets/reps combinations with no results. I've also been trying to bulk for the past few weeks in hopes that it could potentially increase my numbers. My numbers have slightly increased but it's nothing really significant. Any suggestions for new chest workouts or any other possible advice that could help?

W

wiktorek25

Awards
Put more weight on the bar, problem solved

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
We would need way more information or a video.

Rarchib

Rarchib

Awards
Put more weight on the bar, problem solved
I've pretty much trained most of the past two years with strictly low reps and high weight so as simple as it may seem that hasn't really worked

J

joh408

Awards
  • Established
What program are you using? What is your accessory work for chest?

Rarchib

Rarchib

Awards
We would need way more information or a video.
This is my usual workout schedule for my main chest day:

Flat barbell bench press
135x12
165x4
185x4
225x3
240x3

Close grip barbell bench press
135x10
165x6
185x6
205x4

Smith machine Lockout
135x10
185x4
225x6
235x3

Dumbbell Chest Flyes
30s x 8
45s x 6
55s x 6
65s x 6

I do usually train my shoulders and triceps along with chest so along with this I also do military presses and other accessory tricep/shoulder exercises

Rarchib

Rarchib

Awards
Recently, someone also pointed out that when I bench I grip the barbell with my knuckles over the top of the barbell. I have been told that trying out a false-grip may eventually allow me to press more.

Rarchib

Rarchib

Awards
What program are you using? What is your accessory work for chest?
I listed my usual chest exercises above but I have never really tried any particular program. It's pretty much always either been low reps/high weight or high reps/lower weight

Rarchib

Rarchib

Awards
Where are you failing on the bench?
I would have to say I struggle most at roughly the 6-10 inch from my chest. I don't really seem to have an issue with the initial push off of my chest but the following few inches are my weak points. If that helps to answer your question.

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
Have you tried doing board presses? They do wonders for the latter half of a bench.

Rarchib

Rarchib

Awards
Have you tried doing board presses? They do wonders for the latter half of a bench.
I have heard of them but have never tried them. Ill definitely look into them and try them out, thanks.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The problem is that you're training muscles and not movements. The bench press is not a chest exercise; it is a full body movement that requires a high level of technique and specific accessory lifts to strengthen the weaknesses in the kinetic chain.

tigerdb2

tigerdb2

Awards
To piggy back off of what Rodja said, start looking at other areas like the upper back and triceps, specifically. You're trying to get stronger but that routine is fairly similar to a body building chest/ triceps day. As an aside, my opinion is to get rid of the flies. I don't think they have much value for getting a bigger bench.

Rarchib

Rarchib

Awards
The problem is that you're training muscles and not movements. The bench press is not a chest exercise; it is a full body movement that requires a high level of technique and specific accessory lifts to strengthen the weaknesses in the kinetic chain.
What would you recommend for accessory lifts?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What would you recommend for accessory lifts?
This depends on your specific weakness. However, I fairly confident that you could break your plateau with simple technique adjustments.

Rarchib

Rarchib

Awards
This depends on your specific weakness. However, I fairly confident that you could break your plateau with simple technique adjustments.
Yeah I'm sure there are flaws that haven't been pointed out to me by anyone yet. What do you think about my grip placement? I've been told to try a false-grip.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah I'm sure there are flaws that haven't been pointed out to me by anyone yet. What do you think about my grip placement? I've been told to try a false-grip.
Irrelevant until technique has been corrected.

SXIPro

SXIPro

Awards
  • Established
When I plateau on BB Bench, I do heavy sets of DB Bench. Problem is my gym's DBs max out at 125 lb ea, but I still find it helps. Maybe it's a mental thing with me, or maybe since the DB presses involve more stabilizer muscles it helps.

KimChee

KimChee

Awards
17 sets seems like a lot for chest, also powerlifting techniques, boards, chains, pin press, bands, etc

Pypp

Pypp

Awards
  • Established
Try incline/decline bench to specifically work different parts of the chest.

Pypp

Pypp

Awards
  • Established
What does that have to do with bench press strength?
You can target specific areas of your bench to increase strength. My buddy plateaued at 265 and did incline decline bench for 6 months, although he had to start at lower weight with incline then regular he built it up. He weighs 160 and 1st bench coming back to flat was 315 and hits that easy now.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You can target specific areas of your bench to increase strength. My buddy plateaued at 265 and did incline decline bench for 6 months, although he had to start at lower weight with incline then regular he built it up. He weighs 160 and 1st bench coming back to flat was 315 and hits that easy now.
You realize that chest is only a portion of an effective bench press, right? His plateau is most likely to having suboptimal technique specifically a lack of upper back tightness and leg drive. The bench press is a full-body movement, not a chest exercise.

Pypp

Pypp

Awards
  • Established
You realize that chest is only a portion of an effective bench press, right? His plateau is most likely to having suboptimal technique specifically a lack of upper back tightness and leg drive. The bench press is a full-body movement, not a chest exercise.
Yes Yoda I do, I'm just giving a more practical opinion.

Pypp

Pypp

Awards
  • Established
Yeah....because correcting technique on a highly technical lift isn't practical.
Stating what someone's doing wrong that you haven't seen bench, instead of offering what to do better is pretty unpractical.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Stating what someone's doing wrong that you haven't seen bench, instead of offering what to do better is pretty unpractical.
It's a safe bet that if he's training muscles that his technique will be bad. Trying to correct a technical weakness with exercises is erroneous. Step one in getting stronger on squat, bench, deads, Oly lifts, etc. is ALWAYS technique analysis. You can have the best template design, but without technical proficiency, it's a waste of time.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Rodja beat me, but agreed. If he's addressing additional chest exercises SPECIFICALLY to break a plateau, I'd also wager the muscle is being trained rather than the movement.

Lets see a vid, and I'd put dollars to donuts there are several issues.

Rarchib

Rarchib

Awards
Ill try to get you guys a video ASAP. I can already tell you that I honestly don't think I keep my body tight while I bench and there isn't much of a leg drive. Usually my back ends up flattening out during my sets as well. I never really paid much attention to it because I had no idea how much power I was compromising with subpar technique. However, it's also a little difficult trying to correct my own form when I can't really see what I'm doing wrong. Ill do my best to get a video soon.

EllFitness

EllFitness

Awards
You've changed the exercises, sets and reps... Have you tried changing the training method for example using negatives and forced reps? A few of my clients found changing their methods very useful, also taking 5 - 7 days off can also help, giving your body a chance to fully recover 9 times out of 10 you WILL come back stronger.

Rarchib

Rarchib

Awards
You've changed the exercises, sets and reps... Have you tried changing the training method for example using negatives and forced reps? A few of my clients found changing their methods very useful, also taking 5 - 7 days off can also help, giving your body a chance to fully recover 9 times out of 10 you WILL come back stronger.
I have use forced reps every now and then but I haven't done much negative work in a while. Also, I haven't taken a week off in roughly a year. I'm sure it would help my whole body if I did soon.

EllFitness

EllFitness

Awards
I have use forced reps every now and then but I haven't done much negative work in a while. Also, I haven't taken a week off in roughly a year. I'm sure it would help my whole body if I did soon.
Well the eccentric contraction is a lot more beneficial so give negatives a try, you also haven't done much negative work it is new to your body simply from the change this could get you past your Plateau. but id definitely recommend taking a week of especially as it has been a year now, like I said you will come back stronger. Try some different methods, get some rest, eat some food and your problem will be solved, me and all my clients have been there and the solutions are always so simple!

Rarchib

Rarchib

Awards
Just to let you guys know, I took some time and watched Dave Tate's "So You Think You Can Bench" YouTube instructional videos and they greatly helped. I've been working on correcting my form and technique and I practically already broke through the plateau. Thanks for the help.

Bigcountry08

Bigcountry08

Awards
  • Established
Full body contraction is key to bench press, there shouldn't be a single muscle in your body that is relaxed during a power bench.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Full body contraction is key to bench press, there shouldn't be a single muscle in your body that is relaxed during a power bench.
Nice to see someone else fraking gets it when it comes to maximal bench press strength.

Bigcountry08

Bigcountry08

Awards
  • Established
Nice to see someone else fraking gets it when it comes to maximal bench press strength.
Yeah when I was younger I used to train at a power lifting gym in Michigan with some of the top power lifters in Michigan. Some of them even had some world records. I would watch those guys like a hawk to learn proper technique.

That would be my advice to you op find a local hole in the wall gym where there are some experienced power lifters. Train there for about six months watching them every day. Then get on your hands and knees after six months and ask for some advice on your form. Power lifters are some of the hardest guys in the gym to get respect from, because in my opinion there the hardest working and most dedicated out there. They could care less about how they look, it's all about adding more weight to that next lift.