Shoulder workout

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.71%

Shoulder workout

Just looking for some help with adding some shoulder exercises to my workout. Im currently 18 years old and have been lifting for 2 years. I work out 6 days a week on a 4 day cycle. Chest & Abs, Back & Shoulders, Arms & Abs, Legs & Cardio. I've noticed that my Back & Shoulders day consists of mostly back exercises and i need help adding some shoulder excercises. I currently only use seated press, clean and press, dumbell press, lat raises and front raises. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'1"  236 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.12%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

Re: Shoulder workout

Quote Originally Posted by Lholden1220 View Post
    Just looking for some help with adding some shoulder exercises to my workout. Im currently 18 years old and have been lifting for 2 years. I work out 6 days a week on a 4 day cycle. Chest & Abs, Back & Shoulders, Arms & Abs, Legs & Cardio. I've noticed that my Back & Shoulders day consists of mostly back exercises and i need help adding some shoulder excercises. I currently only use seated press, clean and press, dumbell press, lat raises and front raises. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Looks like u might need more rear delt exercises. Bent over Dumbbell Lateral. Face pulls. Reverse flys.
    FINAFLEX PRODUCT EDUCATOR

​" If you're looking for a work horse.......I'm no Clydesdale."
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.52%

Exercises I've personally found to increase my shoulder size/strength are standing military presses, seated rear delt raises, and lateral raises.

For standing military press - I like to stick to anywhere from 1-15 reps depending on where I'm at in my training waves. Make sure to use no/very little leg drive.

Rear delt raises - I like these after my bench days as a finisher, usually doing a couple sets of 15.

Lateral raises - great exerise to end a shoulder day with, which I see you mentioned. I find 5 sets of 10-20 reps really work my delts. Make sure you are using good form and don't use your legs.

With this stuff on top of the pressing from my bench workouts, I feel my shoulders get the amount of work they need.
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.73%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Balance is key.

At the very least:

For every chest press you need a horizontal row (bent over row, seated row, supine row, etc.)
    For every chest fly you need a rear delt exercise (bent over raises, face pulls, band pull aparts, etc.)
    You do not need ANY front delt movements
    For every over head press you should perform a pull up/down.

The take home message is that you need to do more back work. Arms are small muscles, can be tossed in just about anywhere.

Jason Cholewa, Ph.D., CSCS
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.17%

Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    Balance is key.

At the very least:

For every chest press you need a horizontal row (bent over row, seated row, supine row, etc.)
    For every chest fly you need a rear delt exercise (bent over raises, face pulls, band pull aparts, etc.)

The take home message is that you need to do more back work. Arms are small muscles, can be tossed in just about anywhere.

This is good stuff right here. I especially agree on arms. If you are doing decent back and chest work, your arms are getting hit pretty hard already. Especially if you do chins, pull ups, and dips in your routine.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.71%

Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    Balance is key.

At the very least:

Thanks a lot! I will keep this in mind. But are you saying to work back on the same day as chest or just to do as many of each corresponding excercise on a back and shoulder day as chest day?
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.73%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Lholden1220 View Post
    Thanks a lot! I will keep this in mind. But are you saying to work back on the same day as chest or just to do as many of each corresponding excercise on a back and shoulder day as chest day?
    Nope, you don't have to work the back on the same day. Just make sure you are balanced over the course of a training cycle or week.

Personally, I train my back twice a week, splitting it up almost like a typical bodybuilder would chest and shoulders. I train traps/rhomboids (rowing) and lats/teres (pulls ups).

Similar Forum Threads

1. Shoulders workout advise... Help
    By abeldiaz in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-26-2011, 01:00 AM
  2. Unorthodox Shoulder workout
    By Whacked in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-03-2011, 08:47 AM
  3. shoulder workouts
    By jmoney02 in forum Training Forum