CPTquestion

aavina12

Awards
How many people here are a certified personal trainer? What do you all think of national association of sport medicine?

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am and NASM is one of the more highly respected organizations. However, they're all mainly a foot in the door.

aavina12

Awards
Right on, yes I'm planning on continuing my education with that. I am a cook with the coast guard and have attended nutrition school and alternative healthy cooking techniques. I am also working on getting my BS in Health and Wellness. How do you enjoy being a trainer?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It depends what kind of client you get. Most of them are not ultra dedicated and it makes the job a bit of a battle.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I agree with Rodja, most of your nationally recognized certifications (ACSM, NASM, NSCA) should all just be a baseline or "dummy-test". The continuing education is most important, and that can come via university classes or by attending conferences, reading advanced text books and blogs, and watching pod casts.

I honestly think the most rewarding clients to work with are children and women. Kids because they generally have little to no motor programs and you can start from scratch and they quickly make gains as they get more proficient in the movements. Women because they usually do not have the same ego, so you can start over and rework movements and they are generally happy just seeing results in the way they move without the ego or desire to throw a lot of weight on the bar. I also enjoyed working with the elderly, as you could make some enormous changes in their quality of life, that they really appreciated, before seeing changes in body composition and appearance.

Jason Cholewa, Ph.D., CSCS

pmdied

Awards
I agree with Rodja, most of your nationally recognized certifications (ACSM, NASM, NSCA) should all just be a baseline or "dummy-test". The continuing education is most important, and that can come via university classes or by attending conferences, reading advanced text books and blogs, and watching pod casts.

I honestly think the most rewarding clients to work with are children and women. Kids because they generally have little to no motor programs and you can start from scratch and they quickly make gains as they get more proficient in the movements. Women because they usually do not have the same ego, so you can start over and rework movements and they are generally happy just seeing results in the way they move without the ego or desire to throw a lot of weight on the bar. I also enjoyed working with the elderly, as you could make some enormous changes in their quality of life, that they really appreciated, before seeing changes in body composition and appearance.

Jason Cholewa, Ph.D., CSCS
I had/have ACSM and would agree that it's a starting point. Personal training was a profitable business for me because of how I marketed myself but I had a good base of knowledge and stayed current with trends/seminars, etc. I thoroughly enjoyed working with novices/women because they didn't have too many bad habits to undo and were sponges for learning.

aavina12

Awards
So far I have been getting great feed back from those who have responded so far, thank you very much for that. I just ordered my course materials through NASM today and I am very excited to get to it and learn what there is to learn. I hope I can integrate my culinary background with my CPT certificate and educate people beyond the physical aspect.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Are you paying for the material yourself since tuition assistance is no longer?

aavina12

Awards
Yes I am going to pay for it out of pocket. I transferred 34 months of my GI bill to my wife so I have two months under my name which could pay for the material but I would rather give the remaining two months to my wife so we can collect BAH when I get out. I was able to squeeze one more class towards my BA in Health and Wellness before the TA expired, which is bs that it was taken away. From what I hear the reservists still have access to the TA