touch and go or stop and set??

MANotaur

MANotaur

Awards
Which deadlift method do you prefer?? The stop and set or the touch and go??

Why or why not?

I personally prefer the stop and set so that i can really focus on form. However with the touch and go you can burn a few more calories.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Stop and set. Touch and go makes it no longer a deadlift as there will inevitably be some momentum transfered over.

napalm

napalm

Awards
Reset every rep, I have this whole thing I go through...

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com

MANotaur

MANotaur

Awards
Stop and set. Touch and go makes it no longer a deadlift as there will inevitably be some momentum transfered over.
My thoughts exactly. But there's obviously people that do it and i just wanted to find out more opinions om the matter

Lol me too i have like a dead lift ritual

Raw Dog

Raw Dog

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

Yep, same here. I do occasionally do rack pulls and do them touch and go though

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
Stop and set. Its got to be dead weight on the ground.

Have you seen the deadlifts they do in the crossfit games? (not starting another cf argument) but they do the touch and go with bumper plates lol. The weights bounce up to their knee!

MANotaur

MANotaur

Awards
Stop and set. Its got to be dead weight on the ground.

Have you seen the deadlifts they do in the crossfit games? (not starting another cf argument) but they do the touch and go with bumper plates lol. The weights bounce up to their knee!
Lol I've noticed that...not to mention the dangerous form most of them use.

Bigcountry08

Bigcountry08

Awards
  • Established
For me it all depends on the rep range. High rep I do touch and go cause I feel I can control the weight but like to push out reps as fast as I can to gain "snap up" power. But when I do touch and go I just barely touch the weight to the ground. On low reps I do stop and go though, to me it's to dangerous to try and pop right back up.

napalm

napalm

Awards
My thoughts exactly. But there's obviously people that do it and i just wanted to find out more opinions om the matter

Lol me too i have like a dead lift ritual
Everything has to be right or I won't pull. Hands, feet, tightness, everything. Takes me what seems like forever to do 5 f'ing reps...

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
As someone always interested in limit strength or hypertrophy with respect to strength progression, I reset each rep. By doing so I always have to work my starting strength, something that's not developed with touch-and-go, and I don't rely on reversal strength as much, an aspect of strength that has no significant, direct role in pushing the deadlift max via deadlifting for reps. I and others have also found no carryover in touch-and-go styled deadlifts, so I don't use them as such. You'll notice progress with any pull variation will always be easier even with rep work if you reset between reps.

One might consider a scenario where you do a heavy set to try to push your strength up followed by a lighter set to increase TUT. I can see the merit in touch-and-go on the lighter set to maintain a sustained TUT; but of course all those reps in the reset-styled pulls also add up for a lot of TUT.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Everything has to be right or I won't pull. Hands, feet, tightness, everything. Takes me what seems like forever to do 5 f'ing reps...

Getting my feet right and the right volume of air (tightness) is crucial to me. I wont even do a set if I don't feel like I got the right amount of air in.