Heart Rate Monitors

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Wondering if anyone uses a heart rate monitor to stay in "fat burning zone" whether it for Cardio and or lifting??

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
never used one personaly. i wouldnt worry yourself with the "fat burning" zone. just do your cardio to elevate heart rate and eat in a calorie deficit to lose weight

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
fat burning zone. *face palms*

a heart rate monitor is great for endurance athletes to train within a certain percentage range just like strength athletes using prelipins chart.

or do you mean fat burning zone like this research shows:
HIIT builds fitness faster. 30 min @ 60% vs 10x4 @ 90% w/ 2 min rest. Aerobic capacity increased by 13%, fat burning capacity up by 36%, and key aerobic enzymes increased by 25%
-Journal Applied Physilogy, 102: 1439-1447, 2007
as i just find pushing myself hard enough is a great way to monitor my heart.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Did you know that just by sitting here typing I am "in the fat burning zone"?

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
i use one during hiit sessions, but its honestly not worth the money. i got mine free fom referencing people to my gym and getting gift cards for their store.

i use the watch as just a watch almost every day though. its a nice small sporty little gadget

btw, fat burning zone = marketing ploy for the most part

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Use one during every lifting session. Mine has a strength training program that monitors heart rate and tells me when I've recovered enough to go on to the next set. Polar FT80 and I highly recommend it.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Use one during every lifting session. Mine has a strength training program that monitors heart rate and tells me when I've recovered enough to go on to the next set. Polar FT80 and I highly recommend it.
Polar makes a good product. You can get an iphone app that will run stats on your R-R interval to measure heart rate variability, which you can then use as a way to autoregulate recovery and readiness levels. I don't trust the app's "recommendations" very much, and have set up an easy way to find out your own HRV recovery zone.
http://jasoncholewa.com/2012/12/31/overtraining-autoregulation-and-your-sex-life/

Jason Cholewa, Ph.D., CSCS

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Is there a chest strap to wear? Trying to avoid this. $199 not sure U need all the bells/whistles

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Is there a chest strap to wear? Trying to avoid this. $199 not sure U need all the bells/whistles
Yes, there is a chest strap to wear. You get used to it though and this is what makes it so accurate compared to the wrist heart rate monitor type. Way more bells and whistles than I need but these features are common with most.

FUBARMD

Awards
  • Established
There are ones that are cheaper that do just as well. The chest strap is usually picked up by machines that are capable of detecting heart rates so it's nice to not have to refer to the watch every minute or so while on the treadmill or illiptical.

(I use mine for HR monitoring due to my previous open heart surgery)

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There are ones that are cheaper that do just as well. The chest strap is usually picked up by machines that are capable of detecting heart rates so it's nice to not have to refer to the watch every minute or so while on the treadmill or illiptical.

(I use mine for HR monitoring due to my previous open heart surgery)
Agree. But be careful as some don't have replaceable batteries. Polar has mods that require you to send it in for new batteries. This model I have has user replaceable batteries.

FUBARMD

Awards
  • Established
Agree. But be careful as some don't have replaceable batteries. Polar has mods that require you to send it in for new batteries. This model I have has user replaceable batteries.
Mine does too. Picked it up for under 40