Lagging arms

amcartxs

Awards
Ok so I am 20 years old and I have been training consistently for 2 years now. I have made some good gains going from 5'8 130 to 165lbs. Currently I am on a 4 day split because of my work and school schedule conflicting but I usually do a 5 day split.. My split right now is
Monday-back&bi
Tues-chest& tri
Wed-legs
Thurs-shoulders& bi
The reason I do biceps twice a week is because I literally have no biceps.. My triceps are decent but it makes my arms look awkward because my biceps are smaller. The first two years of my training has been mainly compound exercises and not many isolation movements... Therefore I have made very good gains in my upper body and legs but overall my arms are not growing at the same pace as the rest of my body... Any tips on what I should do to maximize growth in my arms? More isolation movements?

Raw Dog

Raw Dog

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You tried training arms at the end of leg day instead?

napalm

napalm

Awards
Day 1 eat, eat some more, squat correctly eat some more, eat again, sleep

Day 2 eat...a lot, sleep

Day 3 eat, eat some more, bench, OHPcorrectly, eat some more, sleep

Day 4, repeat day 2, only eat more

Day 5, eat, eat again, deadlift, bb rowscorrectly eat, eat some more, sleep

Repeat

Your arms will grow if done correctly

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com

TexasGuy

Awards
I find that more frequent bicep training is best for my arms. And training them directly along with compound lifts goes a long way.

amcartxs

Awards
No, I have never tried working arms after legs.. Is there a benefit to do arms after legs?
I was going to try to hit arms more directly and alongside with compound exercises to see if it works.

crestcreeper

Awards
How long have u been doing the back/bi workout together? A while back I noticed my bi's were starting to lag a bit, and I was using the same split. There are a few things that helped me overcome that.
1st thing is you can try a chest/back day and s bi/tri day. Not only will your arms be fresher, but the pump you get from the opposing muscles seems to actually add strength.
2. If you have any weights at home or extra time to go to the gym you can just do a bicep workout then. I often do something similar as im doing laundry/ironing. Since the bi's are basically the smallest "muscle group", they heal pretty fast and i find i can work them out 3X a week, as long as i don't destroy em with.......
3.A workout that leaves u unable to even touch or wash ur face afterwards. Thanks to fatigue + a monster pump. Certain words like drop sets, partial reps, 21s, forced negative etc. come to mind.
4. I know the general consensus, for a split like u are using, is to workout the big muscle first as you dont want to pre exhaust the bi's therefore decreasing the strength of ur back exercises. I agree with this 90% of the time, however back/bi is where i sometimes makes an exception. I sometimes dont isolate the back muscles as much as I would like, so by the time I was moving from back to bi I wouldnt feel like my back was exhausted, although my bi's would give out on rep 6 of every set/exercise, even if I significantly lightened the load, which told me my bi's were not at peak performance. I was amazed at the difference just doing bi before back made, if nothing else try this. An added benefit is when u go to back ur bis r too tired to cheat too much n help ur back lol
5.Squat & Dealift- Just do it! Especially after every1 sees u putting so much effort into the bi's- they are basically a nice muscle to look at. Look at it as a positive, u probably have great body dimensions to bust out power cleans + front squats- bi's will eventually just get in the way :)

Cordeen

Awards
  • Established
You could always try Charles Poliquins "one day arm cure"....but pack a big lunch!!Not sure on results but the guy is world renowned for his coaching and principles.

bigintensions

bigintensions

Awards
You could always try Charles Poliquins "one day arm cure"....but pack a big lunch!!Not sure on results but the guy is world renowned for his coaching and principles.
I did that this summer. It's really mentally fatiguing but I did get 3/8-1/2 inch that I kept.

amcartxs

Awards
How long have u been doing the back/bi workout together? A while back I noticed my bi's were starting to lag a bit, and I was using the same split. There are a few things that helped me overcome that.
1st thing is you can try a chest/back day and s bi/tri day. Not only will your arms be fresher, but the pump you get from the opposing muscles seems to actually add strength.
2. If you have any weights at home or extra time to go to the gym you can just do a bicep workout then. I often do something similar as im doing laundry/ironing. Since the bi's are basically the smallest "muscle group", they heal pretty fast and i find i can work them out 3X a week, as long as i don't destroy em with.......
3.A workout that leaves u unable to even touch or wash ur face afterwards. Thanks to fatigue + a monster pump. Certain words like drop sets, partial reps, 21s, forced negative etc. come to mind.
4. I know the general consensus, for a split like u are using, is to workout the big muscle first as you dont want to pre exhaust the bi's therefore decreasing the strength of ur back exercises. I agree with this 90% of the time, however back/bi is where i sometimes makes an exception. I sometimes dont isolate the back muscles as much as I would like, so by the time I was moving from back to bi I wouldnt feel like my back was exhausted, although my bi's would give out on rep 6 of every set/exercise, even if I significantly lightened the load, which told me my bi's were not at peak performance. I was amazed at the difference just doing bi before back made, if nothing else try this. An added benefit is when u go to back ur bis r too tired to cheat too much n help ur back lol
5.Squat & Dealift- Just do it! Especially after every1 sees u putting so much effort into the bi's- they are basically a nice muscle to look at. Look at it as a positive, u probably have great body dimensions to bust out power cleans + front squats- bi's will eventually just get in the way :)
I usually do a bi and tri day but I don't have time on Fridays to fit it in so I split it up but I might try doing bi's 3 times a week mon w/ back wed w/ legs and Saturday at home with my weights
And squats and deads are in my workouts every week ..deads on back and leg day and front squats every leg day with some variations... The only problem I have is on back day when I workout my back which is usually:
5 sets bent row
5 sets deads
5 sets pull ups or pulldowns
Then usually another rowing movement
After this my forearms are done! So when I try to lift biceps I get that extreme burning in my forearms and I can't get any muscle/mind connection with my biceps ... Hardly even a pump...

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Day 1 eat, eat some more, squat correctly eat some more, eat again, sleep

Day 2 eat...a lot, sleep

Day 3 eat, eat some more, bench, OHPcorrectly, eat some more, sleep

Day 4, repeat day 2, only eat more

Day 5, eat, eat again, deadlift, bb rowscorrectly eat, eat some more, sleep

Repeat

Your arms will grow if done correctly

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com
This is the correct answer OP.

madds87

madds87

Awards
  • Established
Do the extreme 1000 repper for arms. Pyramid the reps until you hit 1000 plan all of the workouts out....
It might take 3 hrs to do though....

Example:
Ez curls 50,40,30,20,10 reps
Cable curls 20,30,40,50,40
Preacher curls 30,20,10,20,30
Incline db curls 40,50,40,30,20

Etc. etc. If they done grow off of that then your hopeless ;)

cisco_trooper

Awards
If you do a 3 hour ARM workout you're insane. You grow outside the gym, not in it. You're going to overtrain, burnout and fail to recover prior to your next workout.

I recommend following a known effective strength training program like a 5x5 or Wendler 5/3/1 if you are strong enough. There is no reason to deviate and make up your own stuff unless you have a very specific evidence that suggests your anatomy is different than the larger population.

Don't spend 3 hours in the gym. DO rest enough and eat enough.

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
Do the extreme 1000 repper for arms. Pyramid the reps until you hit 1000 plan all of the workouts out....
It might take 3 hrs to do though....

Example:
Ez curls 50,40,30,20,10 reps
Cable curls 20,30,40,50,40
Preacher curls 30,20,10,20,30
Incline db curls 40,50,40,30,20

Etc. etc. If they done grow off of that then your hopeless ;)
This = stupidest F*CKING this I have ever heard!!

cisco_trooper

Awards
That is no joke. You know how light the weight needs to be to do a set of 50 reps? Jesus. Aside from that. all this isolation work doesn't freaking matter unless you are hitting your compounds. Even then it doesn't even matter unless you have advanced beyond being a beginner and into an advanced lifting stage Focus on your compunds bro. Do them right. REST. EAT. If you MUST do isolation work because your ego won't let you NOT do them, then do them at the end of your workout AFTER your compounds are done.

madds87

madds87

Awards
  • Established
That is no joke. You know how light the weight needs to be to do a set of 50 reps? Jesus. Aside from that. all this isolation work doesn't freaking matter unless you are hitting your compounds. Even then it doesn't even matter unless you have advanced beyond being a beginner and into an advanced lifting stage Focus on your compunds bro. Do them right. REST. EAT. If you MUST do isolation work because your ego won't let you NOT do them, then do them at the end of your workout AFTER your compounds are done.
He said his arms are lagging.... thats it.... if he wants bigger arms give it to him. Dont give him some other bs answers

madds87

madds87

Awards
  • Established
If you do a 3 hour ARM workout you're insane. You grow outside the gym, not in it. You're going to overtrain, burnout and fail to recover prior to your next workout.

I recommend following a known effective strength training program like a 5x5 or Wendler 5/3/1 if you are strong enough. There is no reason to deviate and make up your own stuff unless you have a very specific evidence that suggests your anatomy is different than the larger population.

Don't spend 3 hours in the gym. DO rest enough and eat enough.
Egh.... there are many ways to train.... there isnt just one set way to train. You can train many ways. If u think 5/3/1 is the only way to train you have another thing coming.

The reason i posted this was to shock your muscles. You only do it once out of the blue moon...

and of coarse you grow outside the gym.... duuurrrr!!!! But without proper training and constant change. You wont grow either.

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
You want bigger biceps, add in more heavy back work. DB rows. Chin ups, pulldowns, rows, rows, rows.

madds87

madds87

Awards
  • Established
You want bigger biceps, add in more heavy back work. DB rows. Chin ups, pulldowns, rows, rows, rows.
Why would you think that? Those workouts are for mainly back.... now maybe to use those workouts to pre exhaust, before you do actual bicep workouts....

Some people might have the genetics to grow massive arms. You sir seem as though you might be one of those. Since you recommend a back workout for massive arms. Most back workouts are a "pulling motion".

This guy i would think he doesnt have that gift. So he would have to place more focus. Three days a week training arms would prob do. Which these workouts would include
Chest and tri one day, back and bi another day, and arms all on one day.

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
Progressing with his chinups and maybe even underhand rows will help quite a bit to stimulate growth in his biceps.

cisco_trooper

Awards
He said his arms are lagging.... thats it.... if he wants bigger arms give it to him. Dont give him some other bs answers
How is hitting fundamentals a BS answer? My point isn't that there is only one way to train. BUT, I think it IS true that if you aren't hitting your fundamentals you are going to hit plateaus earlier and have a tougher time getting past them. Your body needs a damn good reason to maintain excess muscle. That is done by lifting heavy compounds - the fundamental lifts.

cisco_trooper

Awards
The reason i posted this was to shock your muscles. You only do it once out of the blue moon...
Also man, you didn't say hey man, do this a couple times and back off. I think it is probably of material importance to mention that. Nothing should ever be assumed when a guy is asking for help.

cisco_trooper

Awards
Ok so I am 20 years old and I have been training consistently for 2 years now. I have made some good gains going from 5'8 130 to 165lbs. Currently I am on a 4 day split because of my work and school schedule conflicting but I usually do a 5 day split.. My split right now is
How much sleep do you get? No I'm not joking. You have a busy schedule. I've been there so I know how hectic that can get. The sleep is an absolute must.

madds87

madds87

Awards
  • Established
How is hitting fundamentals a BS answer? My point isn't that there is only one way to train. BUT, I think it IS true that if you aren't hitting your fundamentals you are going to hit plateaus earlier and have a tougher time getting past them. Your body needs a damn good reason to maintain excess muscle. That is done by lifting heavy compounds - the fundamental lifts.
Eh. I can see where your coming from and as a adv. Lifter i understand. But his goals could be different. He could just want big arms and small legs. Its what he wants.

madds87

madds87

Awards
  • Established
Also man, you didn't say hey man, do this a couple times and back off. I think it is probably of material importance to mention that. Nothing should ever be assumed when a guy is asking for help.
Lol i would like to see somone doing 1000 rep workouts everyday..... wowee.... talk about pain....

My bad for not explaining more in depth. Thought it was pain stakingly obvious.

amcartxs

Awards
How much sleep do you get? No I'm not joking. You have a busy schedule. I've been there so I know how hectic that can get. The sleep is an absolute must.
I make sure I at least get 7 or 8 everyday but today since im on spring break and off of work I got 10 hrs last night and 2 and a half more in a nap... But on average I think I get just enough sleep... Another thing I ALWAYS do compound movements then move into Iso but that clearly hasn't helped me like I hoped for my arms so I'm trying more isolation arm movements at least twice a week just to see if it works any better than the compound moves for my arms

madds87

madds87

Awards
  • Established
I make sure I at least get 7 or 8 everyday but today since im on spring break and off of work I got 10 hrs last night and 2 and a half more in a nap... But on average I think I get just enough sleep... Another thing I ALWAYS do compound movements then move into Iso but that clearly hasn't helped me like I hoped for my arms so I'm trying more isolation arm movements at least twice a week just to see if it works any better than the compound moves for my arms
It wouldnt hurt to do what i told yah.

Another one is a circuit like training. Set up 10 different lifts and do a long set with them. Do three sets. Doesnt matter reps and use pull ups as the last workout at the end of each set. Its amazing the results.

amcartxs

Awards
It wouldnt hurt to do what i told yah.

Another one is a circuit like training. Set up 10 different lifts and do a long set with them. Do three sets. Doesnt matter reps and use pull ups as the last workout at the end of each set. Its amazing the results.
I agree, I like the different workouts that you have mentioned and I'm going to add them to my arm workouts every now and then when my arm workouts seem to stop working to shock the muscle.