Little help

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  184 lbs.
    Answers

Little help

Trying to shorten my workout split from 5 days to 3 days. Its always been a mental thing for me where I thought I had to be in the gym 4 or more days in order to grow but im going to try the 3 day routine. I wanna know what key exercises I may be missing to maintain a proportionate physique and if maybe I have too much working sets for some body parts. I know some will suggest the 531 routine or 5x5 and I have done those before but want to do my own more customized split. With that being said heres my new MWF split routine:

Height: 5'10
    Weight: 185 (Probably about 12% bf)
    Goal: Lean Mass (.25-.5lbs per week)
    Exp: In my 5th year

*Cardio is done twice a week during basketball games for the league I am in

Back & Bis (Monday)
    Rack Deadlifts 3 (2 Warmups are before the 3 working sets)
    Reverse BB Rows 3 (1 warmup before the 3 working sets)
    Wide Grip Pullups/Downs 4
    Wide Cable Rows 3
    Narrow Pulldowns 3

Incline DB Curls 3 (1 Warmup before the 3 working sets)
    Hammer Curls 3
    Preacher Curls 3

Shoulders & Legs (Wednesday)
    Squats 3 (2 Warmups are before the 3 working sets)
    DB Shoulder Press 3 (2 Warmups are before the 3 working sets)
    Lunges 2
    Side Raises w/ Front Raises 3
    Leg Extensions 2-3
    Face Pulls 3
    Leg Curls OR SLDL 3
    DB Shrugs 4 (1 Warmup before the 4 working sets)
    Calf Press 4

Chest & Tris (Friday)
    Incline DB Press 3 (2 Warmups are before the 3 working sets)
    Flat BB Press 3
    DB Flys 3
    Decline BB Press 1 (Drop Set)

CGBP 3 (2 Warmups are before the 3 working sets)
    Dips 3
    Reverse Pushdowns 3

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

When I do my 3 day routine I like to switch it up alil different then what's traditional but that's cus my arms can take a crazy amount of abuse and heal fast. This way I'd cheat in a double arm workout every week since chest and back works alot of bis/tris on their own. That and I loved be able to lift much heavier because my bis/tris wouldn't be as fatigued from my chest or back lifts. I'd would also sometimes superset. For example curls sets in between bench sets. Or skull crushers in between rows. I don't superset with deads and knock those out first because I don't like my arms being fatigued lifting that much weight. Scared to tear something.

Chest/Bis
    Back/Tris
    Legs/shoulders

I prefer a 5 day but I love this as an option if I have a busy week or just wanna switch up to more cardio on odd days and mix it up
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  184 lbs.
    Answers

I see, that was actually my original thought to try and hit arms once indirectly and once directly by doing chest/bis and back/tris.. Thats something im gonna have to reconsider doing. Thanks for the input
    •   

4. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

looks pretty good, other than maybe 2 things. Why rack deads instead of regular deads? and Wednesday looks a little long. Not that its all horrible if you have the time, but I think you'd be fairly beat towards the end even if you are switching back + forth between legs + shoulders.
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  184 lbs.
    Answers

I alternate between rack deads and regular deads just to mix it up, not sure why but i really love the rack deads lol.. Yeah wednesdays seemed a little long to me as well but I cant see what to take out
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by W13NY View Post
    I alternate between rack deads and regular deads just to mix it up, not sure why but i really love the rack deads lol.. Yeah wednesdays seemed a little long to me as well but I cant see what to take out
    Cus depending on the rack you get to cheat it a few inches. I'm guilty of overdoing rack deads too lately but i prefer it for straight leg deads. Now that I called myself out its the floor for me next week. Get outa that cage! ;-)
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    looks pretty good, other than maybe 2 things. Why rack deads instead of regular deads? and Wednesday looks a little long. Not that its all horrible if you have the time, but I think you'd be fairly beat towards the end even if you are switching back + forth between legs + shoulders.
    When I do legs and shoulders it is a rough day but I do my machine shoulder crap with my free weight leg routine then switch off to free weight shoulders and machine legs. I'm not gonna lie, there's been times I just wanted to sleep in the bench at the door putting my boots on after this day but some weeks time doesn't allow me to break it up more. I much rather a seperate shoulder and leg day .
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  245 lbs.
    Answers

Look into Dc training. 3 day split and if you do it right you WILL grow
    I'm just a dude chasing a dream
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by W13NY View Post
    I wanna know what key exercises I may be missing to maintain a proportionate physique and if maybe I have too much working sets for some body parts.
    Goal: Lean Mass (.25-.5lbs per week)
    Just a little constructive criticism if you want to hear it.
    It is not necessarily the exercise choice, although IMO more is not better. It is the quality of the work, not that you are doing 10 different movements.
    The gains you are predicting may be a bit harder on the routine you choose to do, than if you did a proven routine, and did it with the big 5-7 compound exercises always at the forefront.
    And, doing a lot of volume on one muscle group one day a week, is again, not the most efficient way to your goals. Just sayin'
    Most muscle groups, especially upper body, recover in 2-3 days, especially if you are a novice or intermediate, and can be trained again in the same week. You do not have to have 7 days between. Smaller groups like arms etc. recover even faster. And the bigger legs/hips 3-4 days on average. That all said, the split you have designed for yourself, while it may produce some gains, will most likely not having you gaining 1/2 pound of muscle per week.
    In fact pure lean tissue gain for the average male, will most likely be #7-#12 in a year, the rest of the gains being some fat along with it.
    Even HIT (which I do not think is for the masses) ala Dr Ken stuff, has you hitting the entire body twice per week.

What were your gains in strength and BW on 5/3/1 and the 5x5's if I may ask?
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. A Little Help Please
    By YellowJacket in forum General Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-07-2003, 03:21 PM
  2. Starting Monday, need a little help
    By babygetoboy in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 04-18-2003, 11:56 AM
  3. Need a little help here.
    By gettnbig in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-16-2003, 03:53 PM
  4. A little help: Why faster the ester the more Pain?
    By YellowJacket in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-03-2003, 10:38 PM