Morning workouts?

1. Registered User

Morning workouts?

Are morning workouts worth it? I wake up at 4:50 am to go on a run for 50 min and Inbetween I hit three different sets of push ups. What else can I do to improve in my morning workout.

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

what are your goals for the workout? how many days a week are you doing this workout?
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  184 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by WrestlingLife View Post
    Are morning workouts worth it? I wake up at 4:50 am to go on a run for 50 min and Inbetween I hit three different sets of push ups. What else can I do to improve in my morning workout.

I love working out early AM. The gym is almost empty and a 60-75 minute workout in the early evening takes 40-50 minutes at 5 AM. No substituting movements for stuff I really don't want to do, and no changing the order of my movements.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  170 lbs.

I've been training/working out in morning for years.I just switched to evening(have own gym)because if i dont get meals right or over do it my day is blown.
    First w/o yesturday seemed i was alittle stronger.Plus this way i dont have to rush around in morning to be able to get the things done i need to.
  5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by asooneyeonig View Post
    what are your goals for the workout? how many days a week are you doing this workout?
    I wanna get stronger and bulk up. But I want to remain fast with cardio.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Cardio doesn't help you remain fast. In fact, LISS cardio will make you less explosive. You could use that morning session to do sprints to improve speed and also prime your body for bulking (through nutrient partitioning, insulin sensitivity, etc.)
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  230 lbs.

Given that you've had enough rest, testosterone levels are highest in the morning, hence "morning wood." Taken with a little coffee, you can get a great test boost during your early workout.
  8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by herderdude View Post

Cardio doesn't help you remain fast. In fact, LISS cardio will make you less explosive. You could use that morning session to do sprints to improve speed and also prime your body for bulking (through nutrient partitioning, insulin sensitivity, etc.)
    Yeah I want that explosive to help me lift heavier, so sprints in the morning is good for that?
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  238 lbs.

Have you considered lifting weights?
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGuy View Post
    Have you considered lifting weights?
    This right here. Lifting heavy is often the best way to get you lifting heavier. But the explosive training will help. You can't lift a heavy weight slow, they say.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/230377-13-weeks-rps.html
  11. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by PROness View Post
    Given that you've had enough rest, testosterone levels are highest in the morning, hence "morning wood." Taken with a little coffee, you can get a great test boost during your early workout.
    Isn't morning wood mostly from the full bladder pressing against the prostate?
    BPS Rep
    *All posts are solely the opinions of myself and do not reflect the opinions of BPS*
    www.bpsnutrition.net

Subscribe to the BPS VIP List for inside information on new products, promos, and introductory offers!
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

running and pushups will get you as far any media or magazine based workout will to get you to your goals. probably never.

if you want to get big get on a proven program like one of the many 5x5 ones, 5/3/1, or westside for skinny bastards. do them exactly as written for 6 month to forever. dont short change the workouts and dont give them a few weeks and think you know if they work or not. they will and they will take longer.

cut your carbs down to only post workout. and eat lots of meat and fat the rest of the day. notice i did not say take supplements, i said eat. so eat, a lot. that will help you get strong and big.

as for fast, define fast. fast for boxing, for running, for sleight of hand, etc. that is basically a skill. so practice the skill of speed. think of this part as tactical training. the weightlifting and cardio/conditioning would be strategic training.
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Yeah I want that explosive to help me lift heavier, so sprints in the morning is good for that?
    sprints will help a little with leg strength indirectly. plyos will do more if you want to be explosive. i like to use those as part of a warmup then move on to either max effort lifts or dynamic/speed lifting where i will use 40-60% of a max and lift it as fast as possible.

if you understand the concept of speed to lift more weight, look into the westside template. here is the ultimate how to on westside. this is the second part of the thread. there is a link to the thread that started it all. read all of it. then read it again. then come back and ask questions. i have participated in that thread, read the book of methods several times, read the ME stuff from wendler and tate, used westside for almost 18 months now and train with several guys that have a few years experience with it. so hopefully i can answer some questions on it. especially dispelling the myths that commonly accompany it.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Morning Workouts
    By Doubravkody in forum Bulking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-13-2007, 03:30 PM
  2. early morning workouts
    By chris1381 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-21-2007, 03:03 PM
  3. early morning workouts