3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ok guys i normaly dont start new threads but ive searched and couldnt find any definitive answer here and would like some help. So here is the story.

About three weeks ago my crew and I went on a run, it was a little over four miles and cold out. Not thinking about it i wore a pair of shoes that i usualy dont run in. Every mile or so we stopped to stretch out.

During the run we would sprint and then go back to a decent jog. Some cramping occured but nothing tonterribly bad.

We get back to work, shower and go about our day. The next day i wake up and both of my achilles hurt. Not like a nagging pain but a sharp pain and as i walk in the boots they get worse.

I goto medical and the doc diagnoses me with achilles tendonitis and prescribes me prednisone and motrin. He puts me on light duty for a week so no running etc.

I check back in with him a week later and tell him the pain has gone down but isnt gone. He puts me back on full duty. I explain to a fellow Marine the issues and that i was told to take it easy at pt so im basicallu running at my own pace.

The pain is still there but mostly in my right achilles. One thing i have noticed is when i move my foot down and up that it feels like friction in my achilles. There is no pain when i flex up or down only when i walk on it and the pain isnt unbearable.

There is no bruising nor any swelling to speak of. I have been applying joint force and taking ALs achilles.

Any idea why my achilles feels like there is friction and what i can do to sort of rehab this issue myself? Ive tried stretching it but it doesnt seem to help.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for any help you guys may be able to offer.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The tendon is inflamed. Rest and ice it. Do some good MFR or get some ART done on your calf muscles and cut back on the stretching until it is starting to heal. Once healed, do eccentric based stretches to increase calf length and tendon strength.

Br

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The tendon is inflamed. Rest and ice it. Do some good MFR or get some ART done on your calf muscles and cut back on the stretching until it is starting to heal. Once healed, do eccentric based stretches to increase calf length and tendon strength.

Br
Awesome, thank you. Any time frame you would recommend as far as the rest goes?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
When I injured mine it took about 2 weeks before I was back to close to full work. In my case, it hurt just to plantar/dorsi flex my ankle. Stay off it as much as you can, hopefully your military unit will understand.

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
When I injured mine it took about 2 weeks before I was back to close to full work. In my case, it hurt just to plantar/dorsi flex my ankle. Stay off it as much as you can, hopefully your military unit will understand.
Thats what i was thinking. Ill have a talk with the guy in charge of pt.

KimChee

KimChee

Awards
You need to rest it. If you ice it no longer than 10-15 minutes every 2 hours. If you ice it longer than 15 minutes the body recognizes there is cold and responds by heating, and increased circulation to fight against "frostbite," this is called the hunting response or CIV this is the opposite of what we want to do. which is decrease swelling, decrease circulation, and swelling with pressure. Take it easy put your feet elevated when it bed to increase circulation. Achilles tendonitis is an overuse type injury but it may also be caused by tight calves. There are several stretches you can do, such as in the bed before you get up with a belt around your foot and you pull the belt toward you, also the wall calf stretches. Afterwards it might not be bad idea to work on intrinsic muscles in your foot, and look into getting some orthotics, or orthotic shoes. Best of luck..

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
Don't be afraid to wear an ACE bandage under your boots too. Unfortunately no decent brace will fit into a combat boot (at least from my experience. I'm AF) but if you wear nothing, your boots can really increase your swelling if you are on your feet a lot. I've had a few ankle injuries and the little bit if extra support helps.