Required Reading for a Trainer? - AnabolicMinds.com

Required Reading for a Trainer?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Required Reading for a Trainer?

Just wondering which books any of you guys have read that you would recommend to someone who trains themselves/others.

Just trying to find some new books to read up on for training methods/theories and the sciences behind training in general. I am also not opposed to just buying a solid textbook for physiology and further educating myself.

Anything you guys have read personally, or have heard about I am interested in. I need something to read when we are just sitting around at work/home and figured why not make it something that will help me in life.

Hopefully we can get some good discussion in here as well

2. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I have quite a collection; One I recommend is Essentials of Strength and Condititioning Essentials of Strength Training and Conditioning - 3rd Edition: National Strength and Conditioning Association: 9780736058032: Amazon.com: Books

Or Exercise Physiology 7th Ed. Exercise Physiology: Nutrition, Energy, and Human Performance by William D McArdle, Bs, M.Ed, PhD, Frank L Katch, Victor L Katch - New, Rare & Used Books Online at Alibris Marketplace : this one is some comprehensive but definitely fo people experienced with the terminology

And Physiology of Sport and Exercise 5th Ed. Physiology of Sport and Exercise With Web Study Guide-5th Edition: W. Larry Kenney, Jack Wilmore, David Costill: 9780736094092: Amazon.com: Books

These 3 are all textbooks but have provided the basework for all my studies. They are however quite pricey.

I don't any 'reading' books; all mine are heavily science based.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-gels: Arachidonic Acid made affordable
  3. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'5"  100 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

•   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

Starting strength 2nd edition is great. 56 pages on the squat!
  5. Pro Virili Parte

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Re: Required Reading for a Trainer?

Everything and anything

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S™II using Tapatalk 2
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  6. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

First, learn and become proficient in technique and analysis. This is not just what they're doing properly, but why it is happening whether it's a verbal cue, imbalance, misunderstanding, etc. After that, at least be able to understand some of the basic training periodization schemes such as Western aka linear, conjugate, block, and undulating.

Template-based
    Lilly's Cube Method
    Westside Book of Methods (take with a grain of salt as it's aim is geared lifters)
    Wendler's Max Effort Method, 5/3/1 (all of them)
    Smith Juggernaut Method

Theory-based
    Supertraining by Siff
    Anything by Bompa, Zatsiorsky, Verkoshansky, and Issurin
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  7. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    I have quite a collection; One I recommend is Essentials of Strength and Condititioning Essentials of Strength Training and Conditioning - 3rd Edition: National Strength and Conditioning Association: 9780736058032: Amazon.com: Books

Or Exercise Physiology 7th Ed. Exercise Physiology: Nutrition, Energy, and Human Performance by William D McArdle, Bs, M.Ed, PhD, Frank L Katch, Victor L Katch - New, Rare & Used Books Online at Alibris Marketplace : this one is some comprehensive but definitely fo people experienced with the terminology

And Physiology of Sport and Exercise 5th Ed. Physiology of Sport and Exercise With Web Study Guide-5th Edition: W. Larry Kenney, Jack Wilmore, David Costill: 9780736094092: Amazon.com: Books

These 3 are all textbooks but have provided the basework for all my studies. They are however quite pricey.

I had a feeling you would be in here lol.

Thanks for the links, will check them out when I get home.

I wonder what pricey is to you lol, I'm cheap as hell.
    Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    Everything and anything

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S(TM)II using Tapatalk 2
    lol any you prefer over others?

Also, it would be worth noting that my particular interest is performance/S+C (I want to work with athletes) but obviously I am completely open to studying the different methods for other aspects of fitness as well. (BBing, PLing, Strongman, etc.)
  8. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    First, learn and become proficient in technique and analysis. This is not just what they're doing properly, but why it is happening whether it's a verbal cue, imbalance, misunderstanding, etc. After that, at least be able to understand some of the basic training periodization schemes such as Western aka linear, conjugate, block, and undulating.

Template-based
    Lilly's Cube Method
    Westside Book of Methods (take with a grain of salt as it's aim is geared lifters)
    Wendler's Max Effort Method, 5/3/1 (all of them)
    Smith Juggernaut Method

Theory-based
    Supertraining by Siff
    Anything by Bompa, Zatsiorsky, Verkoshansky, and Issurin
    Great point!

I've always heard that I should read supertraining but have put it off, I'm glad you brought that up as I will definitely be looking for it now.
  9. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I'm about 2/3 through essentials...

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com
  10. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

You definitely were not kidding, I might have to take out a loan to buy those 3 lol.
  11. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick

You definitely were not kidding, I might have to take out a loan to buy those 3 lol.
    I picked up essentials for 60 bucks w free shipping on eBay...

12. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by napalm View Post

I picked up essentials for 60 bucks w free shipping...

Lol that's still expensive. I can never get over how expensive books are!

I'm still going to get as many as I can though, it's just more than a days pay to get each one.
  13. Pro Virili Parte

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

coursera.org sign up for human physiology, chemistry, exercise physiology.

Its free and should provide you with a basic foundation.

MIT has a similar free online learning setup. You can check them out as well

14. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post
    Lol that's still expensive. I can never get over how expensive books are!

I'm still going to get as many as I can though, it's just more than a days pay to get each one.
    It's not a great source of information, IMO.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  15. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    coursera.org sign up for human physiology, chemistry, exercise physiology.

Its free and should provide you with a basic foundation.

MIT has a similar free online learning setup. You can check them out as well

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S(TM)II using Tapatalk 2
    I actually checked that out last night. Thanks for the link Josh!

Would you care to expound upon that opinion?
  16. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Would you care to expound upon that opinion?
    For starters, they only touch upon one form of periodization, which gives the impression that it is the superior version compared to others. The only update they've really made to the text in years is adding in plyos (huge amount of irony there) and their techniques they only teach one technique for major lifts and don't expand on other versions at all (e.g. wide stance v Oly stance squat).

As an overall tone, I've noticed a huge shift towards the C and little for the S when it comes to S&C. Very little of the time that is spent teaching in many schools is towards the C and I put the NSCA at the forefront of that with their lack of practicum associated with the organization these days.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  17. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja

Stop hating rodja cscs

18. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

For starters, they only touch upon one form of periodization, which gives the impression that it is the superior version compared to others. The only update they've really made to the text in years is adding in plyos (huge amount of irony there) and their techniques they only teach one technique for major lifts and don't expand on other versions at all (e.g. wide stance v Oly stance squat).

As an overall tone, I've noticed a huge shift towards the C and little for the S when it comes to S&C. Very little of the time that is spent teaching in many schools is towards the C and I put the NSCA at the forefront of that with their lack of practicum associated with the organization these days.
    I had remembered you talking about them only teaching one type of periodizarion.

Of the organizations that grant certifications which one do you have the most faith in?
  19. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

I had remembered you talking about them only teaching one type of periodizarion.

Of the organizations that grant certifications which one do you have the most faith in?
    Honestly, they're mainly tools to get your foot in the door and a necessary evil. I have my CSCS for this exact reason. A certification is similar to an undergrad degree in that you only need to pass the curriculum set forth by a certain group of people. It's only when you expand the boundaries of your knowledge via graduate degrees and/or further reading does any of this knowledge really carry weight. This is my opinion, but having a certification doesn't make you qualified in the same way that not having a certification makes you unqualified. DeFranco, Simmons, Wendler, etc. are some examples of guys that don't have a huge list of certifications yet no person in their right mind would question their knowledge.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  20. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Honestly, they're mainly tools to get your foot in the door and a necessary evil. I have my CSCS for this exact reason. A certification is similar to an undergrad degree in that you only need to pass the curriculum set forth by a certain group of people. It's only when you expand the boundaries of your knowledge via graduate degrees and/or further reading does any of this knowledge really carry weight. This is my opinion, but having a certification doesn't make you qualified in the same way that not having a certification makes you unqualified. DeFranco, Simmons, Wendler, etc. are some examples of guys that don't have a huge list of certifications yet no person in their right mind would question their knowledge.
    That was my understanding as well (I believe we've had this discussion before). I'm looking into getting the same certification if at all possible.

DeFranco is my hero.
  21. Pro Virili Parte

Focus on getting a basic understanding on how things function first. Than once you understand the mechanisms you start to understand the how part of the question. After this you can start reviewing relevant research and learn how to analyze the data and draw conclusions. This is your best tool you can have. An actual understanding. Then as rodja has pointed out there are some amazing coaches that have years and years of experience but as I said earlier read everything! Don't limit yourself. Even if it is something you will disagree with read it still. Everything helps to broaden your horizon and understanding and will make you a better coach. You will never stop learning in this field.

If you want a textbook like book I would go with supertraining over the NSCA book

22. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

They are pricey, and are more geared at the physiology side. If you wanted to just focus on S+C then the ideas Rodja gave are good examples. My interests are how the body responds (via hormonal release and whatnot) and nutrition as opposed to S+C (which I find interesting but not to the same degree). Essentials has good basic knowledge on hormones and things which may expand your knowledge in that area. IMO its not a complete write off and does have some useful info in it, but it does lack variety in methods.

In saying that, I agree wholeheartedly that Certs are a necessary evil in the same way that I don't have faith in my educational institution to a degree; often things they say regarding nutrition make me cringe but you have to accept what they teach, but that doesn't mean you agree with it.

I'm actually about to pick up some books myself ( I have the 5/3/1 ebooks + westside and Juggernaut (yet to read the last two)) so i'll buy supertraining and some others.
  23. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Just bought supertraining.
  24. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

They are pricey, and are more geared at the physiology side. If you wanted to just focus on S+C then the ideas Rodja gave are good examples. My interests are how the body responds (via hormonal release and whatnot) and nutrition as opposed to S+C (which I find interesting but not to the same degree). Essentials has good basic knowledge on hormones and things which may expand your knowledge in that area. IMO its not a complete write off and does have some useful info in it, but it does lack variety in methods.

In saying that, I agree wholeheartedly that Certs are a necessary evil in the same way that I don't have faith in my educational institution to a degree; often things they say regarding nutrition make me cringe but you have to accept what they teach, but that doesn't mean you agree with it.

I'm actually about to pick up some books myself ( I have the 5/3/1 ebooks + westside and Juggernaut (yet to read the last two)) so i'll buy supertraining and some others.
    Ordered Juggernaut method yesterday. Found a few that looked interesting at a bookstore as well yesterday.

Just bought supertraining.

I hate you ....
  25. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.

while i wouldn't consider it a classic, tate's "the vault" is pretty good and has links at the end to all his seminars. it's free too...
  26. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

well this thread is awesome..crap load of sources
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  27. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

I hate you ....
    ooohhh yeahhh.
  28. Pro Virili Parte

Ordered Juggernaut method yesterday.
    PM coming

29. Elite Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I have nothing really to add...most have given great recommendations. I think one thing to do is read a lot and don't limit yourself, if something looks interesting give it a read even if it doesn't end up reinventing how you think.

I will say I love Supertraining though..one of my better purchases.
    PES Representative
    Don't miss out on the next deal:
    http://pescience.com/insider
    Protein Backed by Science: http://selectprotein.com
  30. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Subscribing for a one-stop shop for training references.
  31. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"   lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Probably get grilled for this but Arnold's book of Modern Bodybuilding. I still enjoy it
  32. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"   lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Just a fun read
  33. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  170 lbs.

Look up stuff on fascial release. So often people focus in working the muscle but not the fascia and it causes all sorts of problems later on. Learn the pec release and rhomboid release as it goes hand in hand with inverted shoulders that you see a lot in today's society with everyone being at computers all day. Not sure of any good books for it off the top of y head but if you google it I'm sure you'll find a bunch if good stuff

Best,
    CC
  34. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by mmorton View Post
    Probably get grilled for this but Arnold's book of Modern Bodybuilding. I still enjoy it
    Not really a required read for a strength trainer though, lol
  35. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"   lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz

Not really a required read for a strength trainer though, lol
    I noticed that right after I said it lol
  36. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  204 lbs.

I think my next major book purchase will be Supertraining.
    Live Hard, Laugh Hard, Love Hard and Heal Fast! - KLEEN
    Olympus Labs Rep - check us out at Olympus-Labs.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/252598-kleen-olympus-labs.html
  37. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by MrKleen73 View Post
    I think my next major book purchase will be Supertraining.
    It's a relatively boring read with a lot more theory than practicum. Nothing negative about that, but don't expect a lot of implementation of the information.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  38. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

It's a relatively boring read with a lot more theory than practicum. Nothing negative about that, but don't expect a lot of implementation of the information.
    I planned it to be one of my next as well. Hopefully it isn't TOO boring to read
  39. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  204 lbs.

I like to see how things work, so theory is great. Plus I can create my own theories with more information. If it sucks I already know I can put it on eBay...
    Live Hard, Laugh Hard, Love Hard and Heal Fast! - KLEEN
    Olympus Labs Rep - check us out at Olympus-Labs.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/252598-kleen-olympus-labs.html
  40. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by mmorton View Post
    Starting Strength is the best book.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. FDA making law that requires scripts for vitamins!
    By kwyckemynd00 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 01-27-2005, 12:04 PM
  2. A nice read for all you careless bulkers
    By jminis in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-06-2004, 08:16 PM
  3. Question for personal trainers
    By Mr.Striation in forum General Chat
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-03-2004, 06:31 PM
  4. A MUST READ for All VPX Haters & Lovers