Question about carbs and muscle growth and my routine

  1. Question about carbs and muscle growth and my routine


    Currently I am only getting 100 grams of carbs a day six days a week and on my cheat day I'll get about 250 grams. I take in on average 230 grams of protein and 3,000 calories a day. I am on a low carb diet to minimize fat gains, however I am not seeing muscle gains despite the high calorie count. Should I eat more carbs? when I was eating 2,500 calories a day, I observed the same thing. So once I added 500 calories, nothing has seemed to change. My strength is going up at a decent rate. I am able to add weight to my exercises every 4-5 weeks. So, either my diet needs to change or my routine needs to change. As far as my routine on the positive and negative portions of my reps I go 2 seconds up, 2 seconds down, except on my leg exercises.. My rep range is 6-8 for 4 sets with a 3 minute rest between sets on all my exercises that involve a barbell, including ez bar curls. My first set is always a warmup set, then I do 3 heavy sets. For all my exercises that involve dumbbells I do a rep range of 8-10 with 2 minutes rest in between sets, again 4 sets, one warmup set and 3 working sets and for things like chinups and dips I rest 1 minute in between sets and do a rep range of 8-12 for 3 sets.


  2. first off, you have to make a decision. if you are wanting to put on weight without fat, that is called a recomp. not a bulk but not a cut. very hard to do and even when done right, it takes a long time. you have to choose either to stay on the recomp for quite some time, bulk, or cut.
    Iron Forged Nutrition Rep

    use code "R1balla" to receive a discount

  3. Quote Originally Posted by R1balla View Post
    first off, you have to make a decision. if you are wanting to put on weight without fat, that is called a recomp. not a bulk but not a cut. very hard to do and even when done right, it takes a long time. you have to choose either to stay on the recomp for quite some time, bulk, or cut.
    So what would you suggest if I want to bulk?
    •   
       


  4. eat way more carbs. 100g/day isnt near enough.
    Iron Forged Nutrition Rep

    use code "R1balla" to receive a discount

  5. I'm all about carbing up dude. what's your fat intake look like? too low of an intake can hinder results as well. at 6' 216 I imagine you would need more than 3K calories. have you calculated your tdee? I'm 5'9 220 and I run off of 3500+ (although everyone is different..)
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

  6. Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    I'm all about carbing up dude. what's your fat intake look like? too low of an intake can hinder results as well. at 6' 216 I imagine you would need more than 3K calories. have you calculated your tdee? I'm 5'9 220 and I run off of 3500+ (although everyone is different..)
    Damnit, it's hard enough getting enough food on ssi. My fat intake in probably around 200grams a day and how much carbs should I eat a day? I'm on the mesomorphic side. I have a medium bone structure if that helps any. I'm just sort of afraid to get too much fat because I've suffered from sleep apnea when I was 250.

  7. .5g/lb for fat
    1-1.5g/lb for protein
    fill the rest up with carbs
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

  8. Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    .5g/lb for fat
    1-1.5g/lb for protein
    fill the rest up with carbs
    Hmm so there isn't like a baseline standard amount of carbs you'd recommend? I was goign to up my carbs to double, so I was going to go for 200grams

  9. that's what I do. find your TDEE using an online calculator and add onto it. if you get fat, eat less. I tailor carbs around my activity level. I could range between 300-500g of carbs. 200g of fat is quite a bit man. IMO at least
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

  10. Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    that's what I do. find your TDEE using an online calculator and add onto it. if you get fat, eat less. I tailor carbs around my activity level. I could range between 300-500g of carbs. 200g of fat is quite a bit man. IMO at least
    TDEE?
  11. Re: Question about carbs and muscle growth and my routine


    Lean Mass - http://webcast.bodybuilding.com/fits...anmassdiet.pdf

    Or if you wish to remain low carb - http://www.scivationbooks.com/books/...erleanmass.pdf

    Those should lay out a decent foundation and a direction to head in. Once you get more established in the diet and start making gains you can tweak and adjust based off your deseried body comp change goals/results

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S™II using Tapatalk 2
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

  12. Check out CKD Diet
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Question about AP and Carb Intake
    By AnonyMoose in forum Supplements
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-11-2007, 09:30 PM
  2. question about recovery and hormones
    By dlduree in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-10-2003, 05:52 PM
  3. Quick question about Anabolics and cutting
    By Bryan in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-16-2003, 08:15 AM
  4. got questions about stack and cycle
    By puck up in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-28-2003, 10:21 PM
Log in
Log in