legs

napalm

napalm

Awards
Is it OK to squat 3 times a week
Some of the 5x5's have you squatting 3x per week with a heavy, medium and light day. I've ran a couple 9 week 5x5's but my hips didn't appreciate it...

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You'll have to give us some specifics. Volume, stance, intensity, etc.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
^^^^^^. if you are doing 4 sets 3x a week, for me thats too much, but may be okay for others. remember, its important to let them rest and grow.

shiggy504

shiggy504

Awards
I've been progressively been able to squat heavier but my quads are not growing. I currently weigh 175 at 5'7 I've gotten to the point where I'm doing 275 for 3 sets of 8-10 reps just no growth. I eat pretty healthy around 3-3500 calories a day at 40/40/20. I also do leg presses leg extensions and Ham curls. Any tips would be appreciated

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've been progressively been able to squat heavier but my quads are not growing. I currently weigh 175 at 5'7 I've gotten to the point where I'm doing 275 for 3 sets of 8-10 reps just no growth. I eat pretty healthy around 3-3500 calories a day at 40/40/20. I also do leg presses leg extensions and Ham curls. Any tips would be appreciated
You're essentially neglecting your entire posterior chain. Add in good mornings, unilateral thigh work (e.g. walking lunges, Bulgarian split squats, etc.), SLDL, etc.

With higher frequency, you'll generally want less volume in each session and also vary up the days (e.g. heavy, rep, speed).

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Is it OK to squat 3 times a week
Usually a novice or intermediate can do it because the weights they are using do not need a lot of recovery time. Hitting your body with say #225 xsets of 5's for a few sets takes much less energy than say #405 setsx5's. Also as was mentioned, you could do a med light heavy or some such. The bottom line will be your recovery. If you are recovering from it, and weight is climbing, sure. If you get to a point where you begin to regress on 3x, and the weight starts getting heavy, then dropping back to 2 days per can work.
It is hard to do it for long periods if you keep pushing, but 2x-3x times per week work like this, can build a bigger work capacity base and the volume used helps build foundation mass.

I know some guys don't squat and dead in the same W/O either, but some do varying intensity on either thru the week.

As far as leg size, again if you are getting stronger, you will eventually add mass and slowly might be better. Remember too, that about #5-#7 pounds of muscle gain in 6 months to a year is actually good.
Another question might also be dependent on how deep you are squatting to elicit more fibers!?

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I currently weigh 175 at 5'7 I've gotten to the point where I'm doing 275 for 3 sets of 8-10 reps just no growth.
I might also add, that at your height and ability to do the reps with the weight mentioned, that you may be right in line with where your body at this level of training should be. Don't fret it too much. Keep your head to the grindstone and keep adding the weight to the bar and the food in. I might bet you are growing, but if you are going by mirror appearance, you might be losing a little vascularity, (which always makes us look bigger, but in fact we can be smaller than a heavier larger leg without cuts.
That all said, it is hard to just get one muscle to grow overly larger (ala say Tom Platz legs) naturally, as the body will try to always maintain a balance in many areas. At 5'7" and #175, you probalby look a bit more hulky than you think you do guy.

shiggy504

shiggy504

Awards
Thanks for the tips. I do good mornings on back day being that I assumed it was a lower back workout. But ill try adding them on leg day. And lunges will be added also. Thanks again guys

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
being that I assumed it was a lower back workout. But ill try adding them on leg day.
Hmmmm, well it can train your low back, depending on how you do 'em, but I don't think the masses use them as a low back exercise as much as it is glutes and hams.
How are you doin' them?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks for the tips. I do good mornings on back day being that I assumed it was a lower back workout. But ill try adding them on leg day. And lunges will be added also. Thanks again guys
As with nearly every compound movement, I don't like the thought they a specific muscle is being training. It is a freaking movement after all and requires an interaction and synergism of each of the movers. Plus, emphasis is shifted depending upon grip, stance width, bar placement, etc. and these variations should be thrown in to avoid stagnation.