klint

Awards
Has anyone done this..
Warm up..
Chest press 5x5
Ohp 5x5
Deadlift 5x5
Squat 5x5
All exclusive of 2 warm up sets. repeated mwf.
If so how did you react to this. both natural and ass prohormoned??.
Thinking of doing this for 8 weeks

TexasGuy

Awards
I have done this, plus isolation work. Love it. Always gain size and strength. I did straight leg deads though. My only advice would be to alternate which lifts you do first.

Edit: I also do it 4 days per week.

ITW

ITW

Awards
Has anyone done this..
Warm up..
Chest press 5x5
Ohp 5x5
Deadlift 5x5
Squat 5x5
Thinking of doing this for 8 weeks
Wouldn't recommend

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The Bulgarians did it 7 days a week :)

I haven't done it but I imagine you could benefit from the frequency as long as you're recovering.

TexasGuy

Awards
You definitely need to take care of recovery. Stretch, foam roll, get your sleep and eat big. Lots of protein.

klint

klint

Awards
I think that recovery intially will be hard so am going to do the above on monday and friday. while rotating the exercises and stick a higher rep mid wieght on the wednesday but doing bi's abs traps . thoughts???

TexasGuy

Awards
I think that recovery intially will be hard so am going to do the above on monday and friday. while rotating the exercises and stick a higher rep mid wieght on the wednesday but doing bi's abs traps . thoughts???
As long as you're progressing, you will be building muscle and strength.

I would give your original format a try before judging your recovery ability. It's not too far off of tried and true 5x5 routines. Just make sure you're eating big, sleeping and doing your mobility work either way.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You'd need to add a lot of other lifts to correct some of the imbalances that would occur and some form of progression scheme for the 8 weeks.

TexasGuy

Awards
http://madcow.hostzi.com/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm

This is the standard 5x5, it's been around awhile. Read through it, understand it's principles and apply them.

This does include rows, important for balance as rodja mentioned.

If I were you, I'd add barbell rows two days of your three and weighted chins the third but I prefer a thick look as opposed to wide.

You won't kill yourself if an 8 week program either way. If you are wanting to build strength on these particular lifts, go for it.

klint

klint

Awards
Has anyone done this..
Warm up..
Chest press 5x5
Ohp 5x5
Deadlift 5x5
Squat 5x5
Thinking of doing this for 8 weeks[/QUOTE

so would this be better balanced
Monday

squat
ohp
Chest
rows
weighted dips

Weds
squat
deadlift
Ohp
wieghted wide chins

Friday
squat
chest press
ohp
Rows

TexasGuy

Awards
Has anyone done this..
Warm up..
Chest press 5x5
Ohp 5x5
Deadlift 5x5
Squat 5x5

Monday

squat
ohp
Chest
rows
weighted dips

Weds
squat
deadlift
Ohp
wieghted wide chins

Friday
squat
chest press
ohp
Rows
Monday only shows Chest without explanation. I would use the weighted dips for your chest, and add in stiff leg deadlifts. Be sure to lean in at about 45 degrees for your dips as a chest exercise.

On Wednesday, I would personally put OHP between squats and deads. The whole point of 5x5 is to put maximal effort in to a few compound lifts. Technically, squats and deads should be on different days altogether. I like doing them together too but I do seperate them by a lift or two to rest. Same applys to weighted dips and overhead press on monday.

Friday looks good.

klint

klint

Awards
Has anyone done this..
Warm up..
Chest press 5x5
Ohp 5x5
Deadlift 5x5
Squat 5x5

Monday reviewd 5x5

squat
ohp log press
rows
Angled weighted dips

Weds
squat
ohp barbell
deadlift
wieghted wide chins

Friday
squat
chest bench press
ohp
Rows
Is this a better option.??

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
The Bulgarians did it 7 days a week :)

I haven't done it but I imagine you could benefit from the frequency as long as you're recovering.
the bulgarians also used it with olympic lifts which have little to no eccentric phase. that makes it much faster for recovery.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
the bulgarians also used it with olympic lifts which have little to no eccentric phase. that makes it much faster for recovery.
I was more or less joking on the Bulgarian Method of Training, which you are right. I should have made that known when I wrote it. I was bored and reading over it just as the OP had posted regarding his idea.

Jcweinsx

Awards
I do those lifts but on a/b 3 day split std 5x5 with some assesory lifts chins, tri, shoulders & traps. I prefer to have chest/rows and overhead press on separate days. Too hard to hit the targets on the second exercise. I do bis at end of week as arms get plenty of work from rows and deads. Don't see a lot of low rep strength plans with chest and shoulders on same day. I have done deads on M W a few times and W lift was worthless if monday was heavy. The original a/b plan works for me with some minor tweaks. all the compounds same day would be too tough for me w/o aas or training like an oly lifter for speed at 60%. I'm guessing you are not a oly lifter as cleans/jerks/etc are not included. Try it and and log it. Probably won't kill you.

flamini

flamini

Awards
I feel like I your pushing yourself there's now window for recovery there... Anyone agree ??