which groupings should I use?

beachbrat79

Awards
I am changing up my routine from one muscle group per day for 6 days/week to 2 groups per day on a 3 day rotation, twice a week. I know this is heavy, but this kind of split is where I have seen the most growth both in size and strength. If I am doing one heavy group per day, and one group light, how should I combine the groups?

Day 1 - Chest and Triceps
Day 2 - Back and Biceps
Day 3 - Shoulders and Legs

Or

Day 1 - Chest and Bicep
Day 2 - Back and Tricep

Is there a reason I should use one combination of groupings over the other or will it make much difference?
Thanks for the help

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
I am changing up my routine from one muscle group per day for 6 days/week to 2 groups per day on a 3 day rotation, twice a week. I know this is heavy, but this kind of split is where I have seen the most growth both in size and strength. If I am doing one heavy group per day, and one group light, how should I combine the groups?

Day 1 - Chest and Triceps
Day 2 - Back and Biceps

Or

Day 1 - Chest and Bicep
Day 2 - Back and Tricep

Is there a reason I should use one combination of groupings over the other or will it make much difference?
Thanks for the help
Have you thought about:
Day 1- Push
Day 2- Pull
Day 3- Legs

Who wants to do shoulders after they finish squatting? :run:

beachbrat79

Awards
Have you thought about:
Day 1- Push
Day 2- Pull
Day 3- Legs

Who wants to do shoulders after they finish squatting? :run:
I separate shoulders out for a couple reasons, but mainly b/c the workouts get to be too long when I combine more than 2 groups. Also, I am going to do shoulders first, then legs strictly so I don't have that exact reaction ("Can't feel my legs anymore, so I'm going home instead of doing shoulders")

I am going to do these groupings twice a week so if I do heavy chest on monday I will do the other muscle group light, then on thurs, i will do light chest and the othe group heavy. Since I am doing one muscle group heavy and one light per day, I was thinking that I would use the chest/bicep combination so that I am not wearing out one muscle group while working the other group that day. Also, if I do heavy chest on mon, then on tuesday I would do light triceps so they would still have rest before their heavy day.

Would this grouping work (chest/bicep, back/tri, shoulders/legs) or would the push/pull groupings be better?

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
I separate shoulders out for a couple reasons, but mainly b/c the workouts get to be too long when I combine more than 2 groups. Also, I am going to do shoulders first, then legs strictly so I don't have that exact reaction ("Can't feel my legs anymore, so I'm going home instead of doing shoulders")

I am going to do these groupings twice a week so if I do heavy chest on monday I will do the other muscle group light, then on thurs, i will do light chest and the othe group heavy. Since I am doing one muscle group heavy and one light per day, I was thinking that I would use the chest/bicep combination so that I am not wearing out one muscle group while working the other group that day. Also, if I do heavy chest on mon, then on tuesday I would do light triceps so they would still have rest before their heavy day.

Would this grouping work (chest/bicep, back/tri, shoulders/legs) or would the push/pull groupings be better?
I'm sure either one would work, its just a personal preference. I just think you might want to relook at lifting 6 days a week, even if 3 of them are light. I know that would overtrain me like no other. More is not other better. For me, I get the most gains at 3-4 days a week. Maybe you should think about cutting out the light days and trying this:

Chest/bicep
rest
Back/Tri
rest
Shoulder/legs
rest
repeat again

beachbrat79

Awards
I'm sure either one would work, its just a personal preference. I just think you might want to relook at lifting 6 days a week, even if 3 of them are light. I know that would overtrain me like no other. More is not other better. For me, I get the most gains at 3-4 days a week. Maybe you should think about cutting out the light days and trying this:

Chest/bicep
rest
Back/Tri
rest
Shoulder/legs
rest
repeat again
I appreciate the suggestion. This is not the first rotation I have taken using the 3-day rotation twice a week. I survive it pretty well actually. I know its not the best for everyone, but it has definitely been the best cycle for me over the past couple years. I really prefer hitting each muscle group twice a week too... Lets me know i'm still kicking my own ass and the growth has always been the fastest for me this way too. I usually only do this rotation for about 8-10 weeks too b/c my body just gets tired by then, and I switch up to some other rotation for about a month, then back to 3-day splits, at least until my body says otherwise.

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
I appreciate the suggestion. This is not the first rotation I have taken using the 3-day rotation twice a week. I survive it pretty well actually. I know its not the best for everyone, but it has definitely been the best cycle for me over the past couple years. I really prefer hitting each muscle group twice a week too... Lets me know i'm still kicking my own ass and the growth has always been the fastest for me this way too. I usually only do this rotation for about 8-10 weeks too b/c my body just gets tired by then, and I switch up to some other rotation for about a month, then back to 3-day splits, at least until my body says otherwise.
Wow, thats what Ronnie Coleman's split is too and he looks pretty big :eek: , guess it can't be too bad :think: .

Rebel

Banned
Awards
  • Established
are you doing your dead's on leg day or back day? Just wondering.

timogburn

Awards
In my eyes legs should always be done on thier own day. My personally split is:

Day 1- Back, Bis
Day 2 -Shoulders, traps
Day 3- Legs
Day 4- Chest, Tris
Day 5- Rest
repeat

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
I agree, there's no dead-set way of doing something; pick a way for about 8 weeks or so, then switch it up! Keep your body honest right? :)