Chest help

1. Registered User
    Answers

Chest help

Been having trouble building my chest, but my back and arms are solid. Just my chest. What should I do? My goal is to gain mass

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Answers

Do you do incline for chest or straight for chest workouts?
  3. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Pypp View Post
    Do you do incline for chest or straight for chest workouts?
    I try to mix it up. Some days I'll do bench and some days I'll do incline
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by riseabove5 View Post
    Been having trouble building my chest, but my back and arms are solid. Just my chest. What should I do? My goal is to gain mass
    How much do you bench now, & what's your body weight?
  5. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by compudog View Post

How much do you bench now, & what's your body weight?
    I weigh roughly 170. Maxed at 200 for bench and I rep 155 all day but when I bump it up I can't do much
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Answers

What program do you use?
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/198788-highschool-athlete-thread.html
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Answers

I weigh roughly 170. Maxed at 200 for bench and I rep 155 all day but when I bump it up I can't do much
    I'm guessing your height is somewhere between 5"7 & 5"10? Anyway if you can get your bench over 250 and add 15 lb on your frame I guarantee your chest will grow.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by benmayro View Post

What program do you use?
    That^ Sometimes having structure and progression is what you need.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Answers

Stuck with incline for awhile, I haven't flat benched in over a year. And only bench 135, focus on reps more then weight it'll build denser muscle.
    Also use different grips. Ex. Close grip, wide grip, medium grip.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Answers

A proven program like my favorite 5/3/1 will give you structure and organization that will allow your chest and the rest of you to grow
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/198788-highschool-athlete-thread.html
  11. Registered User
    Answers

Look into PRRS. I've done 3 cycles of this program and strength has increased very noticeably along with putting on some mass.

Also like others stated, don't worry about how much weight you can push. Worry about technique, control, and muscle contractions. Your chest will grow if you do the little things correct.
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by kbayne
    Look into PRRS. I've done 3 cycles of this program and strength has increased very noticeably along with putting on some mass.

Also like others stated, don't worry about how much weight you can push. Worry about technique, control, and muscle contractions. Your chest will grow if you do the little things correct.
    Form is definatly the most important. Don't be a quarter-man or a half-man.
  13. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Pypp View Post

Form is definatly the most important. Don't be a quarter-man or a half-man.
    True that which many many people do not understand.
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  202 lbs.
    Answers

Your bench press is at a beginner weight, not a slam is what it is. if you work on it for 3-6 months youll be in a differnet place. Check out starting strength or stronglifts 5x5. You don't need to use complicated plans or 5/3/1 until your training stalls on a simple progressive loading plan. Working chest every 8th day is not enough. My training partner started out never benching and used 5x5 and he can rep 225 for 2-3 after ~8 months. He started with just the bar only to learn the technique. If you don't train in 3-5 reps you won't get used to recruiting the muscle for the kind of force you need for a max lift. Dips and triceps work will help get your numbers up.
    EDIT: I checked the charts actually your bench is better than my initial reaction. 185 bench at bw 165 is intermediate level.
  15. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Jcweinsx View Post
    Your bench press is at a beginner weight, not a slam is what it is. if you work on it for 3-6 months youll be in a differnet place. Check out starting strength or stronglifts 5x5. You don't need to use complicated plans or 5/3/1 until your training stalls on a simple progressive loading plan. Working chest every 8th day is not enough. My training partner started out never benching and used 5x5 and he can rep 225 for 2-3 after ~8 months. He started with just the bar only to learn the technique. If you don't train in 3-5 reps you won't get used to recruiting the muscle for the kind of force you need for a max lift. Dips and triceps work will help get your numbers up.
    That may be beginner weight but I'm not a beginner.. I clean 250 and squat 375. I just can't bench at all
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Can you post a video of your bench pressing or dumbbell pressing. Preferable from a few different angles and using a weight corresponding to about your 6 RM. Sometimes it's minor tweaks in limb placement and setup that will make all the difference.
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Answers

my chest lacks naturally as well, 8-10 reps with great form helped me alot. i did things like removed shoulders and arching my back out of the equation which let me lower the weight with better form and refuced any chance of rotater injury. i also focused on incline pressing movements and weighted dips..
    LG Sciences forum representative
    www.lgsciences.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/company-promotions/249846-lg-sciences-would.html
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  202 lbs.
    Answers

That may be beginner weight but I'm not a beginner.. I clean 250 and squat 375. I just can't bench at all
    That is a really good squat. Do you move good weight in overhead press and bent over rows/t-bar rows? I have a similar problem on bench. I get 4-5 reps at 250 but can't hit 280 w/o a spot. I stall around 2 inches off the chest. Do you have a spot in the lift where you stall out?
  19. Registered User
    Answers

Yes i do. I stall out kind of in the same place as you. Which is why I think my form may be off because I might possibly be moving my body around to get past that stall point
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  202 lbs.
    Answers

I am going to work on 2 sec pause at bottom and dead stop off 1 or 2 boards or off pins in power rack. Most of my chest work is in 5 rep or more range so I'm not specifically training my max with heavy triples like a power lifter would. i still like seeing my numbers go up.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. chest help!!
    By Yeahboy in forum Cycle Info
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-12-2011, 05:10 AM
  2. CHEST HELP!!!-tris getting it all..
    By shotdead42 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 04-03-2010, 03:35 AM
  3. Chest help
    By acwingfoot in forum Training Forum