Is it wrong to train bi's and back then chest and shoulders?

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    3.12%

Is it wrong to train bi's and back then chest and shoulders?

Is it wrong to train bi's and back then chest and shoulders the next day? Or should I be using antagonistic muscle groups on the same day? Here's my lifting schedule that I've started this week:
    1. Bi's, Back
    2. Chest, Shoulders
    3. HIIT
    4. Squats
    5. Bi's, back
    6. Chest, Shoulders
    7. Rest

I don't do the same routine lets say when I do chest. I'll do bench and flys one day then incline flys and pushups
    But should I be doing Bi's and shoulders, etc.?

2. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  260 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.24%

It doesn't matter. The only thing that would matter is say if you did shoulders or triceps Monday and bench on Tuesday your numbers might be less because your shoulders and trips are sore. I don't even do bicep days because heavy back work gets my biceps sore enough.
  3. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.89%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Wouldn't lift Chest and Shoulders same day IMO
    PES Representative
    http://www.pescience.com/insider
    http://www.selectprotein.com
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  208 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.52%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

id be more concerned with you doing 4 days of upper body a week and 1 day of lower body a week
  5. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.03%

I agree with OnionKnight and Kbayne. You should have another lower body workout in there as well. Squats/Deadlifts are two lifts that will help you put on the most size and strength; because they are the biggest compound movements. Doing chest and shoulders the same day will decrease your numbers because you utilize your shoulders when you do chest, and vice versa. If you combine two major muscle groups I feel like it should be shoulders and back. They share some of the same muscles, like traps for instance. This has been my split for a while and I LOVE it.

Back/Shoulders/Bi's.
    Legs/Abs
    Chest/Triceps
    Off
    BackShoulders/Bi's
    Legs/Abs
    Chest/Triceps

none of the two days are the same, so there is 6 different days basically. I'll make a routine and stick with it for a month and then kind of change it up. After about 3 weeks to a month your body usually adapts.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.52%

^^^ Yeah it really depends on you. I always second guess my routines. If your using common sense, you should just find the best way by trial and error. Your recovery might be slower than normal by doing it as it is now, but whatever works for your current goal i guess.
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.18%

Quote Originally Posted by cheddaarr View Post
    ^^^ Yeah it really depends on you. I always second guess my routines. If your using common sense, you should just find the best way by trial and error. Your recovery might be slower than normal by doing it as it is now, but whatever works for your current goal i guess.
    it shouldnt depend on you at all. we are all homo sapien, therefore have the same anatomy. therefore have the same physiology. therefore the same workouts stimulate us the same as long as the same effort is put forth, the same diet is eaten, the same sleep patterns are used, and the stress level is the same. and that is where you get some differences, all the other variables. include the fact that people have slightly different efficiency levels in muscle firing patterns and are coming into a workout with different past training and you get a variance in training results but you do not get a difference in what works.

as for common sense, that is so rare it seems that it shouldnt have even been brought up. many people can lift for decades and still create idiotic workout plans and claim their workout is perfect. and why reinvent the wheel. i swear, exercise is one field of knowledge where trying to recreate the wheel is not only expected but looked highly upon. its like if someone tries to read a book and learn something their bro friends knock them for it. but we all know how knowledge can take us far, just look at zir red.

so no, dont use common sense and do trial and error. save yourself time in the world of instant gratification and do a proven program. if you want to learn more learn why the proven program works. and read up on other programs and try and find the similarities and differences of those program while you stick to that first proven program for 6-12 months. and yes, it takes that long to prove to yourself its going to work.

and last but not least if you really want to learn, pick up an anatomy and physiology book. by reading that you will be better educated then 90+% of the idiotic trainers that claim to be so good in this country.

*steps of soap box, leaves the room*
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    3.12%

Quote Originally Posted by joesgainshc View Post
    I agree with OnionKnight and Kbayne. You should have another lower body workout in there as well. Squats/Deadlifts are two lifts that will help you put on the most size and strength; because they are the biggest compound movements. Doing chest and shoulders the same day will decrease your numbers because you utilize your shoulders when you do chest, and vice versa. If you combine two major muscle groups I feel like it should be shoulders and back. They share some of the same muscles, like traps for instance. This has been my split for a while and I LOVE it.

Back/Shoulders/Bi's.
    Legs/Abs
    Chest/Triceps
    Off
    BackShoulders/Bi's
    Legs/Abs
    Chest/Triceps

none of the two days are the same, so there is 6 different days basically. I'll make a routine and stick with it for a month and then kind of change it up. After about 3 weeks to a month your body usually adapts.
    Thanx for the advise. What I'll do is adjust the splits and add deadlifts. I'll try this routine and adjust as necessary. Since I work nights this might be a better routine. I can go heavier then rest a bit more which might be better for me.

Chest/bi's
    shoulders/back
    squats/abs
    rest
    HIIT
    deadlifts
    rest
  9. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  208 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.52%

i like that one a lot more. pretty good basic outline
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  255 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.95%

Take some time to read this..
    ORIGINAL POWER/REP RANGE/SHOCK IRONMAN ARTICLES>
    Broser Built Athlete www.broserbuilt.com
    PNI REP

11. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.03%

Quote Originally Posted by Rob94hawk View Post
    Thanx for the advise. What I'll do is adjust the splits and add deadlifts. I'll try this routine and adjust as necessary. Since I work nights this might be a better routine. I can go heavier then rest a bit more which might be better for me.

Chest/bi's
    shoulders/back
    squats/abs
    rest
    HIIT
    deadlifts
    rest
    yup that seems better

Similar Forum Threads

1. Is it wrong to "Guinea Pig" friends?
    By Celorza in forum General Chat
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-26-2012, 07:57 PM
  2. Is It important to train on injection day?
    By LiamTaylor in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-29-2012, 09:06 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-26-2009, 11:01 PM
  4. What is your biggest problem area when it comes to training?
    By Dwight Schrute in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 152
    Last Post: 08-02-2005, 11:29 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-02-2003, 02:27 AM