How much mobility work?

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Hi all.

As an underemployed construction worker, I have a lot of time on my hands. I usually spend this time reading, learning, and lifting, catching up on my soaps, et cetera. However, due to recent injury, lifting isn't something I should be doing a lot of. Mobility work seems to alleviate the pain a great deal. I am waiting on a call back from my doctor, as obviously step #1 is to seek medical help.

In the meantime, I was wondering how much mobility work I could do in my long, empty days to keep the pain down and hasten my recovery. How much is too much? My first action is going to be to learn enough about it to be able to incorporate it, as my knowledge base is severely lacking. From there, I plan on working just as hard at it (if not harder) as I do training, with the eventual goals of: becoming a thick version of Gumby, being able to hit squat depth nobody would question without form breaking, and never having another injury again.

In conclusion, my main questions are:

What are my best resources for learning about mobility?

How much mobility training can I do, considering time constraints are not a factor?

Thanks

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
All depends on the injury and what you doctor recommends and what is contraindicated.

From there, you can likely do it 4-6 times a week, just like you would yoga. What to do depends on your deficits and imbalances.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Thanks. My appointment with my PCP is on Monday. Hopefully he can identify it then and there or send me to someone who can in short order. I'm willing to do the work, but I'm not sure which direction I need to proceed. Hopefully while I'm getting this thing diagnosed, I can get some information on where I need the work. I'm not good at assessing my mobility issues, I just do some reading, see what common problems are and assuming that my issues are common ones.

What are some tests I could film or photograph that could help me be more specific in working on what I need to work on?

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Quick update: After seeing the doctor, his basic answer was that my heavy lower body exercises caused the problem. He told me to load up on anti-inflammatories for a month, sent me for X-rays (came back normal) and prescribed me some PT, which I will gladly do. I expect they will know a lot more about how to help me speed up recovery and not reinjure myself. The most useful thing that happened yesterday is that he tested a lot of different places and ranges of motion. I wasn't sore to the touch anywhere, and the ONLY range of motion that caused me any problems is the deadlift/stiff-leg/romanian range of motion. Which really hinders me loosening up my hamstrings. Also, I had a date with my mom's massage chair, and that is the best thing that has happened to my back yet. I'll be doing that more often.