Rotator Cuff Injury? Stay Away Lifts

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  158 lbs.

Rotator Cuff Injury? Stay Away Lifts

I've possibly hurt my rotator cuff in my left shoulder. Not sure but the pain is the nagging type that's deep in the shoulder joint.

Resting the area now but still want to lift. I know it's time to see the doc but until I do what lifts should I stay away from?

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by kenpoengineer
    I've possibly hurt my rotator cuff in my left shoulder. Not sure but the pain is the nagging type that's deep in the shoulder joint.

Resting the area now but still want to lift. I know it's time to see the doc but until I do what lifts should I stay away from?
    I'd stay away from all pressing movements for a while. Also no upright rows - I don't know why anybody dies those things. They're shoulder killers. Go see a competent ortho or sports med guy asap.

<---5 shoulder surgeries...

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com
  3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by napalm View Post
    I'd stay away from all pressing movements for a while. Also no upright rows - I don't know why anybody dies those things. They're shoulder killers. Go see a competent ortho or sports med guy asap.

<---5 shoulder surgeries...

You've had 5 shoulder surgeries??
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by vidapreta

You've had 5 shoulder surgeries??
    Yep, tore infra and supra on both sides, labral tears on both sides and an Mumford procedure on the right.

I'm pretty sure the labrum on the left is torn again...

5. Registered User

Yep, tore infra and supra on both sides, labral tears on both sides and an Mumford procedure on the right. I'm pretty sure the labrum on the left is torn again...Sent from my iPhone using Am.com
    Funny... I'm about to get a cortisone shot today in my shoulder.. Hope it helps.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.

Funny... I'm about to get a cortisone shot today in my shoulder.. Hope it helps.
    There's a lot of data that says cortisone does more harm than good over the long run. A good doc won't give more than two a year in the same spot.

Proceed with caution...

7. Registered User

There's a lot of data that says cortisone does more harm than good over the long run. A good dic won't give more than two a year in the same spot.Proceed with caution...Sent from my iPhone using Am.com
    Yea i've been reading all the pros and cons.. I tried to rehab it on my own, but it's now 7 months later and it's still bothering me. My best days at benching i was able to hit 350-365. Now 135 hurts. Doc says if the shot dosen't help then he wants to get an MRI.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.

For most injuries cortisone will just mask the issue for a short period which, as stated, leads to more harm than good. Be wary of them. Most of the sports pts I know loath Dr.s who prescribe them often
  9. Registered User

Yep, tore infra and supra on both sides, labral tears on both sides and an Mumford procedure on the right.

I'm pretty sure the labrum on the left is torn again...

Napalm, I am currently suffering from the same shoulder problems as OP. I've worried about a labrum tear. You say you think yours might be torn again. Are you currently able to do most chest/shoulder exercises without much pain? How long do you think you'll be able to work through it before you get it checked out again. I'm trying to work through this thing til the end of summer. Then planning on getting it checked out. I took a week off and will test it out today with some lifts.

OP, I've had to eliminate most chest exercises. The pain in my left shoulder is intolerable with most barbell presses and especially dips. I'm pretty sure it got worse after I incorporated upright rows into my shoulder day. Flys are okay and dumbbell presses are okay (although getting the dumbbells up is sometimes painful). I know this is a common injury and like OP I am interested in others approaches to getting through it (before the inevitable trip to the dr)
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by JT101

Napalm, I am currently suffering from the same shoulder problems as OP. I've worried about a labrum tear. You say you think yours might be torn again. Are you currently able to do most chest/shoulder exercises without much pain? How long do you think you'll be able to work through it before you get it checked out again. I'm trying to work through this thing til the end of summer. Then planning on getting it checked out. I took a week off and will test it out today with some lifts.
    First off, labral tears aren't always easy to dx. They don't show up a lot on MRI, and sometimes they aren't found until surgery-that's what happened with me. Because of the shoulder anatomy, you can't see labral tears during an open procedure (I've had both). They are found during arthroscopy of the joint itself.

This may sound stupid, but over the years I've learned to tell by the location, duration and severity pain what's been damaged. I describe labral tear pain as more dull and constant in nature than cuff tears. And the pain from labral tears doesn't get any more severe after activity - it's kinda just there all the time, whereas cuff tear pain is always worse after exertion.

As far as what an I doing now for chest, I've talked to my surgeon about it and he says do what I can tolerate, so I flat bench twice a month using a bastardized 531 template. The gist is you're not going to hurt it any more (relatively) than it already is. I'm in no hurry to get it fixed because I'm still making gains (slowly) in my bench and quite frankly, I'm f'ing sick of shoulder surgery.

11. Registered User

Re: Rotator Cuff Injury? Stay Away Lifts

Yea after 5 surgeries I would be too. I mean how many does it take.
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.

I mean how many does it take.
    The million dollar question. I don't plan on quitting powerlifting anytime soon (Masters Nationals in May in my city woo hoo!), so I prolly have more in my future.

We can rebuild him...

13. Registered User

The million dollar question. I don't plan on quitting powerlifting anytime soon (Masters Nationals in May in my city woo hoo!), so I prolly have more in my future.

We can rebuild him...

Have any of your surgeries allowed you to lift pain free, have any been successful??
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.

Have any of your surgeries allowed you to lift pain free, have any been successful??
    They've all been successful to a degree. My cuff tears have been fixed and aren't given me any problems. Lift pain free? I don't know many powerlifters (those that actually compete, not those that play one in the gym) that are pain free so, no. Plus, I'm pushing 50 and don't recover like I used to.

Comes with the territory bro...

15. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  158 lbs.

Interesting and very good information here.

My discomfort is a dull pain deep within the shoulder joint. It does not become worse during press lifts. It just becomes annoying and wakes me up at night.
  16. Registered User

I know you're right. It just sucks on those days when it hurts to take the gallon of milk out of the fridge..
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by kenpoengineer
    Interesting and very good information here.

My discomfort is a dull pain deep within the shoulder joint. It does not become worse during press lifts. It just becomes annoying and wakes me up at night.
    The way you describe it, it could POSSIBLY be a labral tear. My best advice is to find the best surgeon in the area and get his/her opinion. Keep in mind, surgery is just step one. The real work starts in rehab. I'll go one further and say it's more important than the repair itself...

18. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.

Sorry for the double post, can't figure out how to delete it on the mobile app

19. Registered User

The way you describe it, it could POSSIBLY be a labral tear. My best advice is to find the best surgeon in the area and get his/her opinion. Keep in mind, surgery is just step one. The real work starts in rehab. I'll go one further and say it's more important than the repair itself...

Napalm, how many weeks if rehab until you were able to get back to your reg workout routine? And how how long after that til your strength returned?
  20. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

They've all been successful to a degree. My cuff tears have been fixed and aren't given me any problems. Lift pain free? I don't know many powerlifters (those that actually compete, not those that play one in the gym) that are pain free so, no. Plus, I'm pushing 50 and don't recover like I used to.

Truth. I'm always dealing with some sort of nagging pain in my shoulders and neck.

BTW, one of the guys I train with is doing the same meet as you in May.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by JT101

Napalm, how many weeks if rehab until you were able to get back to your reg workout routine? And how how long after that til your strength returned?
    Length of time can vary, depending on the degree of severity of the injury itself. The last repair I had in 2011, I competed 7 months later. Was I 100%, nope, but good enough to give it a run. Generally, nothing upper body for 3-4 months except for ROM stuff in rehab. I got clearance from the surgeon after about 4 months and went balls to the wall getting ready for the meet. Had surgery in may, meet was in Jan. I was prolly 70% at the time of the meet.

Also generally speaking, you won't get back to full strength after a major repair. Others may disagree, but this has been my experience, and my doc is the ortho surgeon for the tigers and red wings so, yeah, he's pretty good. I'm also lucky in that I have friends that are PTs that have worked with a lot of shoulder repairs.

22. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja

Truth. I'm always dealing with some sort of nagging pain in my shoulders and neck.

BTW, one of the guys I train with is doing the same meet as you in May.
    The APF masters? Awesome, I could show him around if he wants. It's gonna be a big one, lots of vendors. One of the guys from the gym putting on the meet, Detroit Barbell has been trying to recruit me to train there. It's the strongest gym in Michigan. I told him if he thinks my total is good enough I'll make the move.

23. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

The APF masters? Awesome, I could show him around if he wants. It's gonna be a big one, lots of vendors. One of the guys from the gym putting on the meet, Detroit Barbell has been trying to recruit me to train there. It's the strongest gym in Michigan. I told him if he thinks my total is good enough I'll make the move.Sent from my iPhone using Am.com
    Yeah, he's in the 198 class and is trying to qualify for World's again (he came in 2nd last year).
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.

Yeah, he's in the 198 class and is trying to qualify for World's again (he came in 2nd last year).
    **hides head in shame, will be at 198**

Great, at least I'll know who's kicking my ass...

The closer we get you can give him my info. Do you still have my email addy?

25. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

**hides head in shame, will be at 198**

Great, at least I'll know who's kicking my ass...

The closer we get you can give him my info. Do you still have my email addy?

PM it to me again.

Are you competing raw or geared?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  26. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.

PM it to me again.

Are you competing raw or geared?
    This will prolly be my last raw meet before moving to the dark side...

27. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

This will prolly be my last raw meet before moving to the dark side...

Gotcha. He's a multi-ply lifter, so you won't be in the same class.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  28. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  213 lbs.

Ive had surgery for a labral tear as well and the rehab was lengthy and VERY painful. Most definitely stay away from parallel bar dips, upright rows, heavy flat bench, and behind the neck presses.
    Remember why you started.
  29. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by thegodfather
    Ive had surgery for a labral tear as well and the rehab was lengthy and VERY painful. Most definitely stay away from parallel bar dips, upright rows, heavy flat bench, and behind the neck presses.
    The labral tear actually takes longer to heal than a cuff tear.

30. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  213 lbs.

The labral tear actually takes longer to heal than a cuff tear.

Yep. He used 3 anchors that looked like white drywall anchors and reattached the labrum with Kevlar as well as pleated the capsule to the bone to help tighten everything up. Feels good and secure now but i did lose a little bit of ROM even with physical therapy.
  31. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by thegodfather View Post
    Yep. He used 3 anchors that looked like white drywall anchors and reattached the labrum with Kevlar as well as pleated the capsule to the bone to help tighten everything up. Feels good and secure now but i did lose a little bit of ROM even with physical therapy.
    Can you still bench heavy??
    Now that you're all recovered??
  32. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  255 lbs.

naplams dead on with all his info, sad to say, its no fun to learn these things because of the surgery route. I've been through 2 surgeries also. He's correct, you'll never be 100%, rehabing is KEY..Do it diligently. I'm 2 years post from my last one, I'm still doing my therapy movements 3 times a week. I still bench press, parked my ego, use more TUT movements..time under tension, use slower tempos.
    Made something like this out of heavy strofoam.
    http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...d=293&pid=5804
    I'm back to benching, but again, just a lot of caution. Best of luck with it, come back strong!!
    Broser Built Athlete www.broserbuilt.com
    PNI REP

33. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  213 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by vidapreta View Post

Can you still bench heavy??
    Now that you're all recovered??
    No I don't even flat bench anymore. I do just dumbbell presses and various machines for chest nowadays. Like said before, you're never 100% afterwards, just better.

Sent from my iPhone
  34. Registered User

Off topic ( I apologize ) but hey napalm..what gym are you lifting at now? Few gentlemen that workout at Detroit barbell so that's why I ask
  35. Registered User

Geese sorry for the poor sentence structure lol
  36. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  158 lbs.

Thanks so far. So stay away from pressing movements, what about pulling such as dead lifts? Bis and Tri movements?
  37. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by kenpoengineer View Post
    Thanks so far. So stay away from pressing movements, what about pulling such as dead lifts? Bis and Tri movements?
    Pulling movements are fine in my case, they don't seem to cause my shoulder any pain.
  38. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by WeT.DoLPhiN
    Off topic ( I apologize ) but hey napalm..what gym are you lifting at now? Few gentlemen that workout at Detroit barbell so that's why I ask
    I'm at the powerhouse in Dearborn, just up telegraph from DB.

39. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by tank316
    naplams dead on with all his info
    Txs tank, outside of doing the procedure itself, there's not much I don't know about shoulder surgery/rehab...

40. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  251 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by kenpoengineer View Post

Are you going to get it checked out by a doctor?
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. HGH for rotator cuff injury
    By KurtisWicked in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 01-16-2013, 06:47 PM
  2. How bad is this rotator cuff injury?
    By psycho67 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-19-2011, 08:09 PM
  3. Rotator Cuff/Shoulder Injury
    By rocksolid84 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-25-2008, 01:29 PM
  4. Rotator Cuff injury...Are you 100% sure?
    By mmorpheuss in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-16-2006, 11:45 PM