HOW SORE IS 2 SORE?

iwinulose2980

Awards
first off my regular split is normally

monday - chest, triceps, calves
tuesday- quads, hamstrings
wens- back,biceps
thursday-rest
friday-shoulders,calves,misc exercise (neck,foreams,grip exercises)
saturday- i box
sunday-rest

stretching for 10 min before workouts and 15 min after workout plus little stretches inbetween sets
cardio 45-60 min a day
abs - everyday

i know rest is a very important to getting the full potential of my workouts but majority of the time i am to sore to move even the following week. is there something i can take or a switch i can make in my split in order to help with pain? your thoughts on how sore is 2 sore?

i dont take supplements so any supplement suggestions on the topic would be appeciated.

thank you for any advice

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Well how sore depends on the person. The question would be are you still making gains?. If so then your probably ok. If not then you need to cut the volume. I'm guessing the cardio everyday is for the boxing so I'd imagine you can't cut that. Another thing is how long do you work out for? If you do resistance exercises for more than an hour than you definatley want to cut that down. Actualy 45 minutes would be even better. If your looking for supps to help then a good protein powder would go a long way. Actualy a meal replacement would be much better and especialy for someone like you that does so much cardio. I'd make sure to get at least 1g per lbs of bodyweight and probably more for someone as active as you. Also you could try upping the amount of carbs that you take in because you have to burining a ton of calories with all that cardio. The best creatine type of supp I've used is v-12 by san and that would probably help you recover. Some others I haven't tried yet but heard good things about are CEE, no-explode, and body octane.

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
i dont understand this "cut volume" thing? everyone recommends it first... couldnt he ALSO cut intensity or frequency? there's lots of variables to adjust when you're overreaching, not just cutting down on volume...
volume work is just one way of gaining weight and eventually you have to change exercise regimen... the same thing goes for HST, GVT, etc

I thought the HST-fad had sorta died to the point where people realized its just another alternative to help shock your body; just like almost any other method...

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Working out three days in a row is not the greatest idea as it's kicks the **** out of your CNS. Also gives us some numbers on your routine, sets, reps ect... Also how long have you been working out?

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
i dont understand this "cut volume" thing? everyone recommends it first... couldnt he ALSO cut intensity or frequency? there's lots of variables to adjust when you're overreaching, not just cutting down on volume...
volume work is just one way of gaining weight and eventually you have to change exercise regimen... the same thing goes for HST, GVT, etc

I thought the HST-fad had sorta died to the point where people realized its just another alternative to help shock your body; just like almost any other method...
Frequency in this case is really just an input in the volume function, so to speak.

I think a lot of people do too many sets to failure too. It's not a big deal when you first start lifting, but as you progress it will become more and more taxing on you, particularly in heavy compound movements (no, I don't know why, but it's a commonly observed phenomenom). I'm at the point where I do MAYBE 10-15 sets to failure in total, for all bodyparts, per week, maybe 4 of which are in the primary heavy compound movements. I do a pretty decent amount of work below failure for the main lifts, working on speed and technique.

My guide for overtraining recently is my mood and mental state/general feeling of wellbeing, along with any joint/soft tissue pain that I begin to experience. Of course, increases in strength and improvements in body morphology are important too, but sometimes these will improve more rapidly in the short term when you are overreaching, leading you into a false sense of security.