Question about weight training

Amber6892

Amber6892

Awards
So I just started weight training again recently over the past couple weeks. Monday of this week I increased my weights by whatever appropriate increments. (Dumbbells 7.5 to 10lbs, leg press 110 to 130lbs, etc) it's been two days and I am still kinda sore. I feel up for a workout but I'm afraid of ruining my progress by another session of weights while not feeling fully recovered. I also am trying to keep a consistent agenda with the gym so if weights are not a good idea any other suggestions?

TexasGuy

Awards
You are fine, just out of shape. I would bet your muscles are good to go. 2 days is plenty.

For the sake of conversation though, can you post your routine?

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Amber Don't listen to Onion. Texas is a great lifting expert that can help you out.

Amber6892

Amber6892

Awards
Hi thank you for the feedback. I avoided the sorer muscle groups and tried taking it easy.

My normal routine is a 5 min cardio warm up followed by stretching then push ups and tricep dips. Then, I usually do traps, triceps, and latts. Then glutes, leg press, and hip abductors. Generally I will add in other groups on alternating days such as lower back, abs, obliques, etc. Then finish with 20 min cardio and a stretch.

Any advice would be awesome this routine is just something I've arbitrarily pieced together.

Also I do not know what a spoon shot is

TexasGuy

Awards
Hi thank you for the feedback. I avoided the sorer muscle groups and tried taking it easy.

My normal routine is a 5 min cardio warm up followed by stretching then push ups and tricep dips. Then, I usually do traps, triceps, and latts. Then glutes, leg press, and hip abductors. Generally I will add in other groups on alternating days such as lower back, abs, obliques, etc. Then finish with 20 min cardio and a stretch.

Any advice would be awesome this routine is just something I've arbitrarily pieced together.

Also I do not know what a spoon shot is
I think a spoon shot is a dirty picture, which I'm not looking for.

A two day break between lifting sessions is fine. I wouldn't shy away from hitting sore muscles myself, given the time you allow. Maybe just hit them lightly. What you are most likely experiencing is DOMS ( delayed onset muscle soreness) coupled with tightness in your muscles.

DOMS is thought to be caused by microscopic tears in your muscles, which do need to recover, but active recovery is thought to be beneficial by increasing bloodflow which delivers reparative nutrients. Going through a full range of motion on lifts for sore and tight muscles will actively stretch them too. (This doesn't mean hit the weights daily and ignore all pain)

Ultimately, this is a part of adaptation to a work load and will go away as you get in better shape. A few things to try:

1. After your warm up on the treadmill, make sure you are doing warm up sets for the lifts you perform as well. Start light and increase to your working weight
2. Consider dynamic stretching as opposed to static stretching before lifting ( if a particular muscle group is stubbornly tight though, hit it with static stretches too)
3. Do a full body static stretch routine after lifting
4. Make sure you are eating nutritious foods and enough of them (you've essentially injured your body in the weight room and it needs to repair itself)
5. If you are ridiculously sore, take a few extra days off around the sore muscles but I'm not really sold on this one myself.

Regarding your routine, can you list it out? What lifts do you do for the muscle groups, what is the organization of the lifts and what about the repetition structure?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I almost always agree with what TexasGuy says, and this case is no different.

Additionally Amber, you I would suggest you think less about muscle groups and more about movements and planes of movement. To simplify, we can call it:

Horizontal pushing and pulling: push ups and bent over rows
Vertical pushing and pull: over head press and pull downs
Spinal flexion and extension: crunches and back extensions
Hip extension and knee extension: deadlifts and squats

These are the major movements you want to keep in balance.

I can write more later.........BR

Amber6892

Amber6892

Awards
Wow that was really helpful thank you. Prior to joining this network I thought I knew a thing or two about fitness, apparently not.

What I am understanding is that you do not recommend laying off the weights completely given the amount of time I had rested. This DOMS is not detrimental to recovery and rebuilding of tissue? Increase blood flow totally makes sense but wouldn't some form of cardio be comparable? I am not against what you're suggesting, I have just inadvertently created my own stigma against weights while being sore. I will apply your advice to my routine, though. I usually do static stretches both before and after.

As for my routine, which is very amateur I'll admit, it needs guidance..

5 min warmup
Stretch
Push ups x 12
Tricep dip x 15 each side
Traps: teacup 10lbs 3 x 10
Triceps: bent over tricep extension 7.5 lbs 3 x 12, overhead tricep press 15lbs 2 x 8
Latt: latt pull downs (not sure of weight) 3 x 10
Glutes: back leg extension 50lbs 3 x 10
Glutes/quad/ham: leg press 110-130lbs 3 x 12
Outer gluteal muscle: hip abductor 50lbs 3 x 15
Lower back: hyperextension on bench 3 x 15
Abs: ab machine 3 x 12
Obliques: hyperextension on bench 3 x 15 Cardio: 20 min arc trainer
5-10 min stretch

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Amber, if the DOMS are serious them some mild activity and foam rolling should be done. Serious being painful to the touch of pressure or walking down stairs, getting out of a chair, etc. But if they are not serious and just noticeable, then I would suggest continuing on with your training.

I would suggest you spend some time learning how to do the major movements that involve several muscle groups at once. These would be the:
Squat, deadlift, lunge, presses, bent over rows, pull ups/downs, etc. These should make up the crux of your program. Start out light and focus on technique. Once you are conditioned and moving well, then you can start to increase the weight.

Also, I recently wrote an article about weight training for women, and how to achieve the perfect (at least, from my opinion and some research) feminine physique. Check it out when you get some time

http://jasoncholewa.com/2012/12/17/optimal-beach-performance-for-women/

Br

TexasGuy

Awards
Amber, if the DOMS are serious them some mild activity and foam rolling should be done. Serious being painful to the touch of pressure or walking down stairs, getting out of a chair, etc. But if they are not serious and just noticeable, then I would suggest continuing on with your training.

I would suggest you spend some time learning how to do the major movements that involve several muscle groups at once. These would be the:
Squat, deadlift, lunge, presses, bent over rows, pull ups/downs, etc. These should make up the crux of your program. Start out light and focus on technique. Once you are conditioned and moving well, then you can start to increase the weight.

Also, I recently wrote an article about weight training for women, and how to achieve the perfect (at least, from my opinion and some research) feminine physique. Check it out when you get some time

http://jasoncholewa.com/2012/12/17/optimal-beach-performance-for-women/

Br
I agree with this post.

I have not read Zir Reds article but will say that you shouldn't fear relatively heavy weight along with the big lifts. You simply don't have the physiology to get big like a male.

Generally speaking, I would recommend not using a set weight and rep point. If you can hit all your exercises and repetitions and do the same thing time after time, what kind of change are you elliciting in your body? You're already at that level and need to challenge yourself for improvement.

Using best choice exercises, find a weight that challenges you for the last few reps of the last set. I personally recommend even going to muscular failure (with a spotter assuming free weights) though I realize this has been challenged lately.

For example, If you can already do leg press at 130 lbs for 3 sets of 12, jump up to 140. Maybe you'll hit 2 sets of 12 and the last set you'll only get 9. Next time, you should be able to hit another rep or two, if not the full twelve. When you get all 3x12 again, jump to 150 et cetera. There are other methods to progress too, the key is to make sure you are progressing. As an aside, since joining this site myself, I've learned I'm evidently old school in my training and dietary approach and am speaking from my own personal perspective with failure here.

Anyways, this performance improvement is what you will eventually see physically as increased muscle "tone".

I would imagine Dr. Cholewa's article discusses the finer points of structuring and executing a solid routine. I'm not much of a teacher myself but again, don't worry about bulk. Deadlifts and squats will build a pair of legs and a butt that will make 95% of the female population jealous, and the good thing about muscle is that if you ever do feel like you are too bulky, you can just cut back and you'll lose it.

Squats and milk!!

TexasGuy

Awards
TX after reading your post here and seeing all of your FREE time you devoted to helping this young lady I realize now you are not the person I thought you were. I would like to "bury the hatchet" as they say.
Ok.

Amber6892

Amber6892

Awards
So to first address the muscle soreness, it might actually be considered serious if I am judging by the pain after application of pressure. But I do realize I am also just out of shape. Also I do know that working within the same weights will only cause a plateau, I have gradually increased but I think my problem may lie with the actual workouts I am doing. I definitely agree that I should learn to incorporate different workouts I just think it is a matter of sitting down and learning the exercises and the correct form. I'm sure you can imagine it can be embarrassing to be in the gym and unsure of what you're doing with the equipment. Glad you mentioned the killer butt, that is my main fitness goal. I am becoming slightly discouraged, but again this may be attributed to the types of workouts I am doing. I will try to incorporate the squats and dead lifts though. What weight would either of you recommend using? One last thing, I read an article recently discussing how weight training was more effective for fat burning than cardio sessions. Agree? Disagree? Before I am building this muscle I am worried about the fat on top or will that just take care of itself in time.

Amber6892

Amber6892

Awards
So to first address the muscle soreness, it might actually be considered serious if I am judging by the pain after application of pressure. But I do realize I am also just out of shape. Also I do know that working within the same weights will only cause a plateau, I have gradually increased but I think my problem may lie with the actual workouts I am doing.

I definitely agree that I should learn to incorporate different workouts I just think it is a matter of sitting down and learning the exercises and the correct form. I'm sure you can imagine it can be embarrassing to be in the gym and unsure of what you're doing with the equipment.

Glad you mentioned the killer butt, that is my main fitness goal. I am becoming slightly discouraged, but again this may be attributed to the types of workouts I am doing. I will try to incorporate the squats and dead lifts though. What weight would either of you recommend using?

One last thing, I read an article recently discussing how weight training was more effective for fat burning than cardio sessions. Agree? Disagree? Before I am building this muscle I am worried about the fat on top or will that just take care of itself in time.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So to first address the muscle soreness, it might actually be considered serious if I am judging by the pain after application of pressure. But I do realize I am also just out of shape. Also I do know that working within the same weights will only cause a plateau, I have gradually increased but I think my problem may lie with the actual workouts I am doing.

I definitely agree that I should learn to incorporate different workouts I just think it is a matter of sitting down and learning the exercises and the correct form. I'm sure you can imagine it can be embarrassing to be in the gym and unsure of what you're doing with the equipment.

Glad you mentioned the killer butt, that is my main fitness goal. I am becoming slightly discouraged, but again this may be attributed to the types of workouts I am doing. I will try to incorporate the squats and dead lifts though. What weight would either of you recommend using?

One last thing, I read an article recently discussing how weight training was more effective for fat burning than cardio sessions. Agree? Disagree? Before I am building this muscle I am worried about the fat on top or will that just take care of itself in time.
Amber, I admire your ambition to learn. Try some foam rolling in the evenings when you are winding down watching TV (if you do that). It mill make a difference.

We can talk further on the exercises, but I suggest you learn the major ones I mentioned above. If you like you can video tape them and post to some media outlet and myself and others can give you some technique analysis. I also offer personal consulting and virtual training if that interests you.

Onto your butt. A well developed posterior kinetic chain (in my opinion) is the best asset a women can have (physically - pun intended). We had a good discussion about this in the woman's forum, and I think you might get a lot out of skimming through this thread:
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/female-fitness/220931-need-your-butt.html
In particular I talk about gluteal amnesia due to postural imbalances and how to fix them.

Weight training will increase your ability to burn fat. Resistance trained skeletal muscle is more metabolically active than endurance or sedentary muscle. Additionally, each pound of muscle mass you put on will increase your metabolic rate. The best option is a good mix of weight training and cardiovascular conditioning. If your heart is healthy enough, I would suggest HIIT conditioning. I give some examples of that in the article I posted a few threads above. But basically...go real hard for 20-40 seconds (as in a sprint) then back off for 1-2 minutes (as in a walk).

Hope that helps.

TexasGuy

Awards
A few more considerations to help mediate soreness:

A hot, epsom salt bath. Epsom salt is magnesium, which is a natural muscle relaxer and anti-inflammatory agent. I generally pour two cups into a full soaking tub (the deep kind). If you happen to have jets, don't use them with the salt in the water. Magnesium provides a host of health benefits outside of alleviating soreness too.

Fish oil is also a natural anti-inflammatory agent with a wide variety of health benefits. I prefer it in liquid form as this generally provides higher DHA/EPA levels than capsules but capsules are fine too, just double or even triple the dose in most cases.

Turmeric (curcumin) is another natural anti-inflammatory source with a lot of other benefits. It is available in the spice aisle at the grocery store as turmeric, in pill form as curcumin at supplement stores and is the agent in yellow mustard that creates the yellow color. If you cook with it, include black pepper. If you buy a supplement get one with biopiperine or something like that, it's a black pepper derivative. Black pepper increases the bioavailability immensely.

Ginger is another herb with anti-inflammatory properties. I personally buy crystallized, candied ginger in bulk and eat a few squares as part of my breakfast or after a work out. If you include carbs in your pre or post workout nutrition, ginger snaps work. You can make a tea with the powederized form from the supplement aisle too. It has a strong taste but you get used to it. Add a little honey to smooth it out, all natural honey is best. Ginger is available in capsule form at supp stores too, you will also want biopiperine with ginger.

Fruits and veggies in general are anti-inflammatory and chock full of anti-oxidants. Blueberries are fantastic and cherries make a great dessert after dinner. Along with vitamins and various phytochemicals they provide, cherries are chock full of melatonin and will help you sleep a few hours later, which is great for recovery!

Protein intake is a hot topic these days, but protein is the building block of muscle. You absolutely need it to recover. You should be eating protein at every meal and with snacks. For general health purposes and just to look toned with a fabulous butt, I wouldn't sweat the exact amount too much, so long as you are eating it all day. Chicken breasts, fish, beef, milk, peanut butter, cheese et cetera. Supplements should come behind whole foods but can be convenient in a pinch or if you are watching fat intake.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Fruits and veggies in general are anti-inflammatory and chock full of anti-oxidants. Blueberries are fantastic and cherries make a great dessert after dinner. Along with vitamins and various phytochemicals they provide, cherries are chock full of melatonin and will help you sleep a few hours later, which is great for recovery!
I will add to this by singing the praises of hot chili peppers. They (if you liek them, and who doesn't!) are incredibly high in anti-oxidants and one of the highest vegetables in anti-inflammatory content. Additionally, the capciasin (the hot factor) increases lipolysis and beta oxidation (fat burning).

domore

Awards
I will add to this by singing the praises of hot chili peppers. They (if you liek them, and who doesn't!) are incredibly high in anti-oxidants and one of the highest vegetables in anti-inflammatory content. Additionally, the capciasin (the hot factor) increases lipolysis and beta oxidation (fat burning).
I love hot chili peppers. Great article, too.

What kind do you typically eat, J?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I love hot chili peppers. Great article, too.

What kind do you typically eat, J?
Usually jalapenos are all I have access to as fresh chilies go in the winter time. During the summer I go to farmers markets (or my grandmothers garden when I was in CT) and get cayenne, habaneros, and whatever else I can find.

TexasGuy

Awards
If you like jalapenos try serrano peppers if you can find them. Similar flavor but serranos are spicier. They pick up on the scoville scale where jalapenos stop, which I would imagine means more capsiacin too. They also have a thinner skin and the texture allows more variety. You can eat them raw, roast, pickle or grill them just the same. I would imagine some peppers could be ordered online for an additional cost.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've tried serranos too, they are usually available too. I couldn't really tell a difference in heat between the two. I think supermarket chilies are pretty non-spicy compared to local grown.

napalm

napalm

Awards
We've got some peppers called labuyo's that grow wild at our house in the
Philippines. They're evil...

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com