Critique My Upper/Lower Routine - AnabolicMinds.com

Critique My Upper/Lower Routine

  1. Creatine's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    28
    Rep Power
    41

    Reputation

    Critique My Upper/Lower Routine


    I put this routine together after reading some posts and others upper/lower routines. My main goal in this program is to gain size and my secondary goal is to gain strength.

    Upper A
    Dumbbell incline press 3x8-12
    Chest supported row/Chinese dumbbell row/Dumbbell row 3x10 (yet to decide which movement I want to use)
    Dumbbell shoulder press 2x10
    Chest supported rear delt flies or face pulls 3x8-12 (also undecided)
    Wide grip chin ups 3x8 (should I put these in?)
    Barbell skull crushers 3x10
    Standing dumbbell curl 3x10-12

    Lower A
    Front squat 3x8
    Wide grip deadlift or regular deadlift 2-3x6
    Walking lunges 2-3x12
    Standing barbell calf raise 3x10
    Conditioning (?)
    Core work

    Upper B
    Alternating dumbbell press 3x10
    Pull ups (palms in) 3x10
    Dumbbell bench or dumbbell hammer bench 3x8 (undecided)
    Hammer strength low row machine or dumbbell row 3x10 (undecided)
    Overhead dumbbell tricep extension 3x10
    Incline dumbbell curl 3x12
    Scapular dips 2x12 (set/rep scheme for this?)

    Lower B
    Back squat 3x5
    Romanian deadlift 3x8
    Rear foot elevated split squat 3x8
    Lying hamstring curl 3x10 (any better exercise for hamstrings?)
    Seated calf raise 3x10-12
    Conditioning (?) (prowler, box jumps, etc)
    Core work

    Then I will have a fifth day where I work on anything I feel is lagging, work on mobility and flexibility, etc.

    I think I need to add more scapular retraction exercises as well as rear delt movements but I don't know how to put them in.

    I'm not sure what type of progression scheme I want to use either. I will likely increase the weight on compound exercises and increase weight or reps on accessory exercises.

    Lastly, I've noticed people usually do light and heavy days when they do upper/lower. I have no real knowledge of this so if someone knows how I can do that with this routine please chime in. After I figure that out I'll determine how I want to order the workouts for each day of the week.

    My current lifts if they are relevant: Squat 270x3 Bench 185x1 Deadlift 350x1

    Any critique would be appreciated,
    Thanks for reading

  2. jimbuick's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,191
    Rep Power
    6705997

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
  3. Sean1332's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    11,331
    Rep Power
    2311454

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    booya^
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
    •   
       

  4. Creatine's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    28
    Rep Power
    41

    Reputation

    I have considered PHAT. The only thing I don't like about it is there is no progression scheme and I am not that great at setting one up.
  5. jimbuick's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,191
    Rep Power
    6705997

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Creatine View Post
    I have considered PHAT. The only thing I don't like about it is there is no progression scheme and I am not that great at setting one up.
    Yea there is, linear progression.

    You're current scheme is nowhere near as comprehensive as Layne Norton's is.
  6. Creatine's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    28
    Rep Power
    41

    Reputation

    I'll look into it more but I would like critique on my routine as well
  7. jimbuick's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,191
    Rep Power
    6705997

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    that was my critique.

    It is nowhere near as effective as Layne Norton's.
  8. Creatine's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    28
    Rep Power
    41

    Reputation

    I meant critique from others too but thank you
  9. jimbuick's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,191
    Rep Power
    6705997

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    booya^
    You hear that Sean?

    We aren't good enough.



    Name:  MrT.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  29.7 KB

    I pity the fool that says we aren't good enough.
  10. Creatine's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    28
    Rep Power
    41

    Reputation

    No lol I appreciate the input I've just heard some negative reviews on PHAT. Still checking it out though
  11. Sean1332's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    11,331
    Rep Power
    2311454

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post

    You hear that Sean?

    We aren't good enough.

    <img src="http://anabolicminds.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=73 337"/>

    I pity the fool that says we aren't good enough.
    god damnit!!
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  12. Sean1332's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    11,331
    Rep Power
    2311454

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Creatine View Post
    No lol I appreciate the input I've just heard some negative reviews on PHAT. Still checking it out though
    PHAT is good ****. It's more methodically laid than your routine and it's written by a natty with a PHD. I've only seen good reviews on PHAT around these forums. I did it for 2 months and enjoyed it. You said you wanted size and strength...well there ya have it, Power and Hypertrophy, all rolled up into one program.

    I'm not big on homemade routines. It lacks progression and organization and you need to vary your rep ranges.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  13. jimbuick's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,191
    Rep Power
    6705997

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    I entirely forgot about the fact that he advocates deloading in PHAT.

    He even says that it isn't linear Periodization. The exercises are supposed to be rotated and you should deload when you feel necessary.

    God, its been a while since I read that article.
  14. marcink99's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    167
    Rep Power
    181

    Reputation

    Iam currently doing upper lower (I workout every other day)

    what works for me

    upper -
    bench 4sets 8-12
    rows wide hand placement 4sets 8-12
    incline bench 4sets 8-12
    pullups 4sets 8-12
    2 random exercises for biceps and triceps 4sets 8-12
    sometimes some random shoulder work

    lower
    squats 4sets 8-15
    regular deadlifts 4-6 sets (low reps 2-5)
    seated and standing calf rises. 4sets 8-15
    sometimess I will add single leg press or some other isolation exercise

    my 2nd upper is eather the same or
    upper -
    dips 4sets 8-12
    rows narrow hand placement 4sets 8-12
    bench press narrow grip 4sets 8-12
    natural/hammer grip pullups 4sets 8-12
    sometimes some random shoulder work

    2nds legs is the same

    hope it helps
  15. jimbuick's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,191
    Rep Power
    6705997

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by marcink99 View Post
    Iam currently doing upper lower (I workout every other day)

    what works for me

    upper -
    bench 4sets 8-12
    rows wide hand placement 4sets 8-12
    incline bench 4sets 8-12
    pullups 4sets 8-12
    2 random exercises for biceps and triceps 4sets 8-12
    sometimes some random shoulder work

    lower
    squats 4sets 8-15
    regular deadlifts 4-6 sets (low reps 2-5)
    seated and standing calf rises. 4sets 8-15
    sometimess I will add single leg press or some other isolation exercise

    my 2nd upper is eather the same or
    upper -
    dips 4sets 8-12
    rows narrow hand placement 4sets 8-12
    bench press narrow grip 4sets 8-12
    natural/hammer grip pullups 4sets 8-12
    sometimes some random shoulder work

    2nds legs is the same

    hope it helps
    No rear delt or hip extension movements? I can only imagine the muscular imbalances you face from a mobility/athletic outlook.

    Just looking at that I will make a guess that your pec minor is shortened your hip flexors are tight and very possibly you have poor glute activation. All of which effect performance and posture.

    Also I bet your anterior delts (and medial) are much more developed than your posterior and that your quads are significantly more developed than hamstrings/glutes.

    That's just a guess though.
  16. NYiron's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    431
    Rep Power
    36879

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick

    No rear delt or hip extension movements? I can only imagine the muscular imbalances you face from a mobility/athletic outlook.

    Just looking at that I will make a guess that your pec minor is shortened your hip flexors are tight and very possibly you have poor glute activation. All of which effect performance and posture.

    Also I bet your anterior delts (and medial) are much more developed than your posterior and that your quads are significantly more developed than hamstrings/glutes.

    That's just a guess though.
    I'm thinking that "rows wide hand placement" is somewhat of a transverse movement and squats and deads cover the hip extension.
  17. marcink99's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    167
    Rep Power
    181

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post
    No rear delt or hip extension movements? I can only imagine the muscular imbalances you face from a mobility/athletic outlook.

    Also I bet your anterior delts (and medial) are much more developed than your posterior and that your quads are significantly more developed than hamstrings/glutes.

    That's just a guess though.
    Just looking at that I will make a guess that your pec minor is shortened your hip flexors are tight and very possibly you have poor glute activation. All of which effect performance and posture.

    rear delts get hit on rows hip flexors get worked on squats and deadlifts dont they?

    Bellow is my picture if you see any mayor imbalances and have recomendation to make my workout better Iam open to improvements.

    Name:  fun.png
Views: 92
Size:  440.1 KB
  18. NYiron's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    431
    Rep Power
    36879

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by marcink99

    Just looking at that I will make a guess that your pec minor is shortened your hip flexors are tight and very possibly you have poor glute activation. All of which effect performance and posture.

    rear delts get hit on rows hip flexors get worked on squats and deadlifts dont they?

    Bellow is my picture if you see any mayor imbalances and have recomendation to make my workout better Iam open to improvements.

    <img src="http://anabolicminds.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=73 516"/>
    Your program is just incomplete do some google searching on kinesiology and joint action and take it back to the drawing board. Also, that's only one component there are so many other factors that need to be understood to design a program for continued success. Of course if you are rather new to lifting any stimulus will benefit, you'll really see a well thought out program shine in the more advanced stages of a lifters progression.
  19. jimbuick's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,191
    Rep Power
    6705997

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by NYiron View Post

    I'm thinking that "rows wide hand placement" is somewhat of a transverse movement and squats and deads cover the hip extension.
    I exercise that when done in a particular way (which if he's moving a significant weight will not likely be a lot of rear delt stress) in comparison to all of the presses that significantly stress the anterior deltoids (plus accessory shoulder work)

    Also I am speaking of specific hip extension movements, especially considering moat people don't get a lot of hip drive at all from squats and deads (unless practiced for powerlifting)

    I would add in some rear delt rows or facepulls or something along those lines, along with something like cable pull throughs or BB glute Bridges.

    I only say it because I had a similar problem (I trained for years without significant hip extension movements or rear delt movements) and I am just now starting to get it worked out.
  20. NYiron's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    431
    Rep Power
    36879

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick

    I exercise that when done in a particular way (which if he's moving a significant weight will not likely be a lot of rear delt stress) in comparison to all of the presses that significantly stress the anterior deltoids (plus accessory shoulder work)

    Also I am speaking of specific hip extension movements, especially considering moat people don't get a lot of hip drive at all from squats and deads (unless practiced for powerlifting)

    I would add in some rear delt rows or facepulls or something along those lines, along with something like cable pull throughs or BB glute Bridges.

    I only say it because I had a similar problem (I trained for years without significant hip extension movements or rear delt movements) and I am just now starting to get it worked out.
    I know where you were coming from just pointing out that its not wildly imbalanced just very incomplete.
  21. jimbuick's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,191
    Rep Power
    6705997

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    As far as hip flexors go, most peoples are tight from doing sit-ups and similar movements which will lead to postural imbalances and underactive glutes which will hamper your squat and DL progression.

    Not to mention making it difficult just to get in the position necessary to do those exercises correctly in the first place.
  22. jimbuick's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,191
    Rep Power
    6705997

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by NYiron View Post

    I know where you were coming from just pointing out that its not wildly imbalanced just very incomplete.
    Woops lol. I have this "the whole world's against me" mentality today it seems.
  23. NYiron's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    431
    Rep Power
    36879

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick

    Woops lol. I have this "the whole world's against me" mentality today it seems.
    No worries
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. please assess my upper lower routine need help!
    By lew dog in forum Natural Bodybuilding
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-20-2012, 01:37 PM
  2. please critique my upper lower split
    By jng in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-03-2008, 05:55 PM
  3. Please critique my on-cycle routine
    By mgreen3313 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-12-2008, 07:15 PM
  4. Pls critique my low volume routine
    By Markio in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-02-2006, 07:25 AM
  5. Please critique my upcoming westside routine
    By ktw in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 03-24-2006, 02:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in