My routine, looking for critique/advice...

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
member.php?u=3691kmac6225 and Bobo just inspired me to seek everybody's crituque on my routine...I've been gaining lately, but what they heck ;)

Ok, here it is...

I switch off between high reps,medium reps, and low reps about every month, respectively. (trying something new out for a change). I used to go with a Max-OT type of training and I quickly became exhausted from constantly pushing such heavy weight, so I switched to this. I also take breaks about every two months.

high reps: 10-12, med reps: 8-10, low reps: 4-8**never go this low on small muscle groups, I usually stay above 6 on them.

Mon: Chest/Calves-------- 10-12 sets chest / 6-8 calves
Tues: Back / Bi's---------- 10-12 sets back, 4-6 bis
Wed: Shoulders / Tri's----- 8-12 sets shoulders, 4-6 tris
Thurs: Quads------------- 10-15 sets
Fri: Hams----------------- 8-10 sets
Sat: off
Sun: off

Diet is decent, but I'm not proud of it. Ooh...and no, I didn't forget abs...I just haven't been working them :D lol...*waiting for flame*

Diet: Usually take in 80g/day of Whey protein, 40g/day of milk protien, the rest is in meats and eggs and constitues approx. 60-80 grams. I'm 220ish with 15% BF, so my LBM is about 190. Carbs... I get enough, usually breads, pastas, and rice and I don't turn down the sweets too often. I don't buy them either, though ;) I'll hit the burger stands when I'm hungry and I need a quick fix though. My main focus is not to get ripped, ATM. I'm just going to hit a cycle soon, so I'm really trying to work on my diet before I get started...I want to be consistent with my diet before I ever start.

Anyway, a little more info about my routine.

Main exercises for each body part:
Chest: Incline and Flat bench; start with incline.
Back: Deadlifts and pulldowns; deadlifts I do every to every other week depending on my energy level.
Shoulders: Arnold / Dumbell presses
Quads: Hack Squats and leg presses
Hams: Stiff legged deads sometimes, the rest is all machine

The rest of my routine fluctuates as far as the isolation movements are concerned.

Anyway...any help is appreciated. I've got an "idea" of how my diet should be, I'm just trying to work on that. Any suggestions, especially, on my lifting routine? Anything you theorize would be more productive for me? (Of course, only time will tell, right ;))
member.php?u=3691

kmac6225

king of useless information!!!
Awards
  • Established
To add to what I had posted in the other thread....

Your legs are taking one hell of a beating every week my friend. With deadlifts (if done correctly) mainly a leg workout you are hitting legs 3 days a week. Same goes with your shoulders. Your hitting them Mon-Tues-Wed. You could easily tweak your split to make more efficient use of each gym day.

For back I would add bent over rows/t-bar rows or if you have Hammer Stength equipment the Hammer Strength Row machine.
You may want to alternate Incline w/ flat bench each week as well. I'm a huge fan of weighted dips as well.

You may want to put an off day in the middle of your week. Recovery is key and hitting the gym as hard as you seem to be 5 days in a row can take a toll on your body.

bump for more advice...

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
To add to what I had posted in the other thread....

Your legs are taking one hell of a beating every week my friend. With deadlifts (if done correctly) mainly a leg workout you are hitting legs 3 days a week. Same goes with your shoulders. Your hitting them Mon-Tues-Wed. You could easily tweak your split to make more efficient use of each gym day.
Oh, I should have noted I don't hit deads every week, every other is more like it.
For back I would add bent over rows/t-bar rows or if you have Hammer Stength equipment the Hammer Strength Row machine.
You may want to alternate Incline w/ flat bench each week as well. I'm a huge fan of weighted dips as well.
I do use bent over rows, I'll have to start with the hammer equipment and I'll have to get back on the T-bar rows...thx ;)
You may want to put an off day in the middle of your week. Recovery is key and hitting the gym as hard as you seem to be 5 days in a row can take a toll on your body.

bump for more advice...
I'll look into it some more...I've become pretty stubborn about my 5 day a week program though, I've tried 3 and 4 day programs, I just get too tired after about an hour for a succesful workout. Thus, the hamstring / quads split.

I'll try to do some readjusting of my routine (on paper:D) and see if I can figure something out that will give short, efficient workouts, and with less days. I'd love the extra rest ;)

Thx for all the advice...bump for more!

EDIT: you said I'm hitting my delts 3x a week...where did you get that from? I'm only getting two days...chest (bench) and shoulders days.???

kmac6225

king of useless information!!!
Awards
  • Established
On back day your using shoulders. i.e. Any rowing or pulldown/up movement is using your delts.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
On back day your using shoulders. i.e. Any rowing or pulldown/up movement is using your delts.
Oh yeah, huh *DOH*

Well, I'll give it a shot and see how it all goes...;) thx for your time, especially since you're the only one to respond :think: