Feedback on Full Body Routine

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  195 lbs.

Feedback on Full Body Routine

Over the past couple of weeks I've been doing a full body routine, 21/2 to 3 days a week. I'm loving it so far and enjoy feeling each muscle group worked 3 times per week.

Wanted some feedback from those that have experience with full body routines. How does this look? What has been your experiences? I've used them in the past and seem to remember great results.

Day 1-3x5
    Bbell bench
    T-bar row
    Smith military press
    Smith squat
    Machine curl
    Triceps push downs

Day 2-3x12
    Stiff legged DLs
    Weighted pull ups
    Weighted dips
    Db lat raises
    Standing calf raises
    Hanging leg raises

Day 3-3x8
    Incline Bbell bench
    Cable rows
    Upright rows
    Leg press
    Overhead DB tricep extensions
    Preacher curls

Notes:
    -On days 2 and 3 I use a 1-2-1 rep timing with a nice pause on the contracted part of the lift.
    -Smith machine is being used due to current back pain and recommendations from chiropractor. Same with "supported" back exercises like t-bar and cable rows.

2. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Toss out the movement on the Smith and make them BB movements. The Smith is an unnatural angle and actually puts more stress on the lower back compared to the BB movements. I'm not a fan of upright rows as they're rough on the shoulders; sub in the volume with mid-trap work (e.g. facepulls) and throw in more weighted core work.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  195 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Toss out the movement on the Smith and make them BB movements. The Smith is an unnatural angle and actually puts more stress on the lower back compared to the BB movements. I'm not a fan of upright rows as they're rough on the shoulders; sub in the volume with mid-trap work (e.g. facepulls) and throw in more weighted core work.
    Thanks man. I will take note of your suggestions and give those a go. Love face pulls w: the rope.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  195 lbs.

What type of heavy core work might you reccomend?
  5. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by lboston View Post

Band resisted roll outs are always fun.
    BPS Rep
    *All posts are solely the opinions of myself and do not reflect the opinions of BPS*
    www.bpsnutrition.net

Subscribe to the BPS VIP List for inside information on new products, promos, and introductory offers!
  6. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Standing cable crunches
    Rollouts
    DB side bends
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  195 lbs.

Thanks guys. Did machine crunches today with 100lbs of weights. Didn't see these recommendations until tonight.
  8. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Thanks guys. Did machine crunches today with 100lbs of weights. Didn't see these recommendations until tonight.
    Do not waste your time with any of the "ab" machines. Restricted ROM and unnatural movement patterns.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

Add turkish getups, medicine ball throws (twisting, over head, slams, etc.), rotation and anti-rotation to the list of core movements.

I second ditching the smith machine movements. If you want to reduce spinal loading then learn to love unilateral leg movements (pitcher squats, split squats, single leg RDL's, etc).

Br
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  195 lbs.

How many days rest do you guys typically put between full body workouts?

Saturday I did 3x8 on all exercises and Monday I was going to do 5x5 on the compound lifts?

Is that too soon? Still fill a little fatigued in my muscles tonight.
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  170 lbs.

I go 1 to 2 days depending on how hard I go on each workout! Love full body days though, seem so much more worth the time & effort!
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

Usually I structure my full body routines around a MWF pattern.

Monday is heavy loading.
    Wed is lighter loading and more unilateral type movements
    Friday is either moderate load or dynamic effort

Or you can do something in this range

Monday: Heavy load lower, moderate load upper
    Wed: light loading full body
    Friday: Moderate load lower, heavy load upper.

Br
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  185 lbs.

it looks good. I did full body for the past month and found I need more valume and rest time (upper/lower is what I currently do)

For full body workout I would do

m 5x5
    w 2x15
    f 3x10

good luck!
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  195 lbs.

Thanks to the past two gents that have responded. I'll take the feedback and use it from everyone.

I will keep M as 5x5, I'll due W 12-15, and F 8-10

I'm on my 4th week of full body and I'm loving it. Feel so much more accomplished in the gym and I'm getting to do most all my favorite lifts throughout the week.

This past week I switched out smith squats for a plate loaded squat machine and smith military press for a machine shoulder press.

I know those aren't the exact lifts I should sub for, but my lower back is still tender once the weight gets up there. Anytime infer above 315 on the regular squat it's some significant lower back stress.
  15. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Thanks to the past two gents that have responded. I'll take the feedback and use it from everyone.

I'm on my 4th week of full body and I'm loving it. Feel so much more accomplished in the gym and I'm getting to do most all my favorite lifts throughout the week.

This past week I switched out smith squats for a plate loaded squat machine and smith military press for a machine shoulder press.

I know those aren't the exact lifts I should sub for, but my lower back is still tender once the weight gets up there. Anytime infer above 315 on the regular squat it's some significant lower back stress.
    Back stress could be from the setup and unracking of the bar. Most people do something closer to a good morning than a squat when they unrack the bar and it results in unnecessary lumbar strain.

How often do you perform unilateral leg work such as walking lunges, Bulgarian split squats, etc.? You could have tight hips from neglecting these types of movements.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  195 lbs.

Back stress could be from the setup and unracking of the bar. Most people do something closer to a good morning than a squat when they unrack the bar and it results in unnecessary lumbar strain.

How often do you perform unilateral leg work such as walking lunges, Bulgarian split squats, etc.? You could have tight hips from neglecting these types of movements.
    Never thought about that, Rodja. To be honest, I never do those moves. That would make sense. The back pain is always in the lower lumbar/ upper hip area.
  17. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Never thought about that, Rodja. To be honest, I never do those moves. That would make sense. The back pain is always in the lower lumbar/ upper hip area.
    I use these as a preventative measure for this tightness and to strengthen the knee.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  18. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor

Rodja... Instead of switching up his routine.. what type of layout would you recommend to him? If you had it your way.
    The Historic PES Legend
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  195 lbs.

Enjoying the thread. Nice to hear what works for everyone. One of my favorite things about training. What works for one isn't what someone else may suggest. It's truly unique.
  20. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by DAdams91982 View Post
    Rodja... Instead of switching up his routine.. what type of layout would you recommend to him? If you had it your way.
    I'd have it to where lower and upper are trained separately.

Lower body would have one day structured around deads and the other day around squats. The intensity would rotate each week. For example, week 1 would be heavy deads and rep squats. Each session would have one hip extensions accessory movement (e.g good mornings, SLDL/RDL), one unilateral movement, and core. These are done for 4-3 sets of 10-15 reps with variety as necessary.

Upper body would be a bit more complex. One day would be heavy vertical flexion/extension (e.g. pullups, dips, overhead presses) with moderate horizontal flex/ex (e.g. rows, chest presses) as accessory work. The next day would be the opposite: heavy horizontal flex/ex and moderate vertical flex/ex.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  185 lbs.

If your lower back is killing you I would start doing front squats. They are better on the back and work core. I would do front squats and regular deadlifts or romenian deadlifts in same workout. (Low volume)

Also Iam just speculating but maybe your squat form needs help? maybe your legs are too narrow to the point where you dont squat between your legs but on top of them resulting in extra tension on the back....(I had this problem) try spreading your legs more...
  22. Banned
    Stats
    5'6"  120 lbs.

Maybe I should try something like that. I want my butt to look better.
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  185 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Tavis View Post
    Maybe I should try something like that. I want my butt to look better.
    It looks just fine in your profile picture :-) aanyways if you want to improve in that department I would recommend goblet squat/barbell squats and romanian deadlifts with plates under toes like this. Oh and as a warning do those exercises in the streaching area or somewhere on the side of the gym unless you dont mind people looking at your ass.
    Name:  post.png
Views: 52
Size:  302.4 KBName:  squats.png
Views: 50
Size:  229.3 KB
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  195 lbs.

Thanks for the continued replies everyone.

Did light deadlifts yesterday with 3x225 for with 8-10 reps a set. Made sure to have someone form check me with each set and paused at the top for two seconds each rep. Felt good. I did use a belt. No back pain today. Hopefully this will be the case.

My back seems to start rounding as soon as I get low and grasp the bar. I make sure my shoulders are back and everything. Not sure why it's doing that...unless it has to do with the flexibility that I lack.
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

lboston If you are doing a conventional deadlift then your should protract your shoulders when you grasp the bar. This will effectively increase "length of your arms" so to speak and allow you to set up a little easier.

Can you get a picture taken of your setup (or better yet, a video of the lift) for analysis.

Also, I'd keep the reps under 5-6 on conventional dead lifts. You are better off doing 6 x 5 with about 75-80% 1 RM than 3 x 10 @ 75-80% 1 RM.
  26. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  195 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    lboston If you are doing a conventional deadlift then your should protract your shoulders when you grasp the bar. This will effectively increase "length of your arms" so to speak and allow you to set up a little easier.

Can you get a picture taken of your setup (or better yet, a video of the lift) for analysis.

Also, I'd keep the reps under 5-6 on conventional dead lifts. You are better off doing 6 x 5 with about 75-80% 1 RM than 3 x 10 @ 75-80% 1 RM.
    What do you mean by protract?
  27. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

What do you mean by protract?
    Push your shoulder blades forward versus pulling them back. Do this at the start of the lift and then as you lock out retract them.
  28. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  185 lbs.

I heard that its good to do deadlifts in very low reps and with higher reps your forms suffers and you risk getting injured. (Most injuries supposedly happen on the way down) I deadlift in ~5 range.

This is a very good video on deadlift form

As for deadlift form I would recommend watching the above video and than doing deadlifts next to the mirror to see if your form looks good.

If your back is rounding on the way back down maybe you dont bend at the knees enough or do it to late?
  29. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

I agree.

It's better to do 10 x 3 @ 75-80% 1rm with 30 -45 seconds rest after each than 3 x 10 @ 75-80% 1rm with 3 min rest in between.

Br
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Full Body Routine or 5x5 Training
    By MAxximal in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-15-2014, 06:51 AM
  2. full body routines to start every workout?
    By Rjp in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-05-2010, 08:22 PM
  3. My 3 day full body routine. Thoughts?
    By hitsquaddd in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-04-2009, 08:43 AM
  4. My full-body routine, based on my stats, need some input guys
    By StellaArtois in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-28-2009, 12:09 PM
  5. Looking for feedback on my body
    By Hollidae in forum Pics
    Replies: 87
    Last Post: 12-25-2008, 01:21 PM