Do you guys think a 160 lb Dumbbell Curl is impressive? - AnabolicMinds.com

Do you guys think a 160 lb Dumbbell Curl is impressive?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last
  1. New Member
    PaulBocian's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  340 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    22

    Reputation

    Do you guys think a 160 lb Dumbbell Curl is impressive?


    youtube.com/watch?v=wm_EhSoMO4Y

  2. Senior Member
    OnionKnight's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,394
    Rep Power
    466000

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    not really. that was pretty much all momentum to get your ody under it. more like a dumbell clean
  3. Senior Member
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Rep Power
    297848

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Nothing about the "curl" exercise is impressive.
    •   
       

  4. The BPS Rep
    Resolve's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,062
    Rep Power
    350690

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Biceps did about 0.1% of the work on that rep...
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

    ***NOW @ NP***
  5. Advanced Member
    TexasGuy's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  238 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    796
    Rep Power
    188234

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Had it been a clean rep, sure, I would be impressed.
  6. Senior Member
    asooneyeonig's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,192
    Rep Power
    101788

    Reputation Reputation Reputation

    so what vidoe are you guys watching. i tried the one in the first post and i never saw a curl. i saw an ugly as hell db hang power clean with a massive backwards lean. am i missing something?
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
  7. Senior Member
    OnionKnight's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,394
    Rep Power
    466000

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by asooneyeonig
    so what vidoe are you guys watching. i tried the one in the first post and i never saw a curl. i saw an ugly as hell db hang power clean with a massive backwards lean. am i missing something?
    nah thats about it. he says "fiver" like 2billion times throughout the vid too
  8. Senior Member
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Rep Power
    297848

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by asooneyeonig View Post
    so what vidoe are you guys watching. i tried the one in the first post and i never saw a curl. i saw an ugly as hell db hang power clean with a massive backwards lean. am i missing something?
    I didn't even watch the video. Save for a naked woman doing curls, I want no part of it.
  9. Elite Member
    Celorza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    9,552
    Rep Power
    2428707

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    Nothing about the "curl" exercise is impressive.
    Curls have no value in life IMO...you do not compete in any federation for a bicep curl...and sorry but I see no need to build a huge bicep curl number. I do think some people do need and crave the growth in the bicep...that is to each his own...no idea why they need it or want it so much (seeing how it is almost useless in any major lift...) but for posing competitions and aesthetic self-love...well I guess you don't even need that much weight (or cheat in form) to achieve it.
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep
  10. New Member
    DV663's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    75
    Rep Power
    54134

    Reputation Reputation

    lmao...that was the furthest thing from a curl, not to mention he almost snapped his back in half in the process. Time to put that dumbbell down and hit the treadmill buddy
  11. New Member
    tigerdb2's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    200
    Rep Power
    6404

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Celorza View Post

    Curls have no value in life IMO...you do not compete in any federation for a bicep curl...and sorry but I see no need to build a huge bicep curl number. I do think some people do need and crave the growth in the bicep...that is to each his own...no idea why they need it or want it so much (seeing how it is almost useless in any major lift...) but for posing competitions and aesthetic self-love...well I guess you don't even need that much weight (or cheat in form) to achieve it.
    Eh I wouldn't call them completely useless. I like to include them for football players, specifically o skill guys who carry the ball. I do agree It's far more of an ego thing in 95% of the population though,
  12. Board Supporter
    jimbuick's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,191
    Rep Power
    6705997

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Useless in any major lift?

    How about rows and pull ups?

    Just because you don't have powerlifting meets for an exercise does not mean that they aren't major lifts.
  13. Elite Member
    Celorza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    9,552
    Rep Power
    2428707

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post
    Useless in any major lift?

    How about rows and pull ups?

    Just because you don't have powerlifting meets for an exercise does not mean that they aren't major lifts.
    Jim, you do not need huge bicep mass to have them help in rows, and AFIK they are involved little to nothing in Pull Ups :/...chin ups on the other hand, well that's another story.

    Just tell me how many lbs that's gonna put on your Squat, Bench or Dead please? (perhaps in the Dead a bit if you are bold and unconcerned enough to curl the bar...)
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep
  14. Board Supporter
    jimbuick's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,191
    Rep Power
    6705997

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Celorza View Post

    Jim, you do not need huge bicep mass to have them help in rows, and AFIK they are involved little to nothing in Pull Ups :/...chin ups on the other hand, well that's another story.

    Just tell me how many lbs that's gonna put on your Squat, Bench or Dead please? (perhaps in the Dead a bit if you are bold and unconcerned enough to curl the bar...)
    Chin ups/pull ups work the same muscle groups, my understanding is that the hand grip is inefficient for maximal force production from the bicep but they are still a necessary muscle to complete the lift.

    You've said it yourself cel, a bigger muscle has the potential to be a stronger muscle. Therefore a larger bicep will be stronger and will help with pulling more weight (rowing not deadlifting)

    And my point on the big three still stands. Just because there is no powerlifting federation for rows or pullups does not mean they are not a very necessary, ie major, lift.
  15. Elite Member
    Celorza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    9,552
    Rep Power
    2428707

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post
    Chin ups/pull ups work the same muscle groups, my understanding is that the hand grip is inefficient for maximal force production from the bicep but they are still a necessary muscle to complete the lift.

    You've said it yourself cel, a bigger muscle has the potential to be a stronger muscle. Therefore a larger bicep will be stronger and will help with pulling more weight (rowing not deadlifting)

    And my point on the big three still stands. Just because there is no powerlifting federation for rows or pullups does not mean they are not a very necessary, ie major, lift.
    Just because it has the potential to be a stronger muscle doesn't mean that it will be, and alas that same argument points to the fact that Size can lead to more strength, but size is NOT needed for strength anyhow.

    My understanding was that due to the fact that the Biceps was in an inefficient position, the power and stress landed on the Brachioradialis , rather than the Brachii or Brachialis.

    Anyhow, I wish Rodja or Jason would chime in to tell us what helps out more in rows...IMO Brachii and Brachialis have less importance than anything in those movements and it is the Brachioradialis which will bring the contribution to the lift, being the back the main muscle group being worked.
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep
  16. Senior Member
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Rep Power
    297848

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    I'm not sure about the biceps (or more specifically elbow flexors) contribute to rows or pullups, but I wouldn't totally discount the utility of the curl, especially in sports that require high levels of elbow flexion or anti-elbow-flexion. For example, the elbow flexors are constantly stressed in grappling. Granted, a big curl or big biceps might not be a major indicator of performance, but it does not totally devalue the curl. On the same line of thinking, strong elbow flexors are important to strongman events such as the atlas stones, zercher style yolk walks, and farmers carries. Moreover, strong biceps and elbow flexors should also prevent certain forearm injuries due to rapid elbow extension (pitching, etc.).

    So I would totally dismiss the utility of performing a curl; however, there is absolutely no reason to brag about it or post videos of it to youtube....unless you are naked and of the fairer gender.
  17. Board Supporter
    jimbuick's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,191
    Rep Power
    6705997

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Celorza View Post

    Just because it has the potential to be a stronger muscle doesn't mean that it will be, and alas that same argument points to the fact that Size can lead to more strength, but size is NOT needed for strength anyhow.

    My understanding was that due to the fact that the Biceps was in an inefficient position, the power and stress landed on the Brachioradialis , rather than the Brachii or Brachialis.

    Anyhow, I wish Rodja or Jason would chime in to tell us what helps out more in rows...IMO Brachii and Brachialis have less importance than anything in those movements and it is the Brachioradialis which will bring the contribution to the lift, being the back the main muscle group being worked.
    Your arguing over nothing. I am not making any point as to which muscle is more important in the lift, I am merely stating that they are an important mover for those movements.

    Weak biceps will lead to a weak pullup or row. As they say, you are only as strong as your weakest link.

    Take for example your precious DL (because it is more important than everything to you because its part of PLing). With a weak grip your DL will suffer, they may not be primary movers in the lift but they are definitely limiting factors.

    The fact of the matter is that if one part of the chain is weak then the entire chain is weak.
  18. Elite Member
    Celorza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    9,552
    Rep Power
    2428707

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post
    Your arguing over nothing. I am not making any point as to which muscle is more important in the lift, I am merely stating that they are an important mover for those movements.

    Weak biceps will lead to a weak pullup or row. As they say, you are only as strong as your weakest link.

    Take for example your precious DL (because it is more important than everything to you because its part of PLing). With a weak grip your DL will suffer, they may not be primary movers in the lift but they are definitely limiting factors.

    The fact of the matter is that if one part of the chain is weak then the entire chain is weak.
    Jason doesn't seem to think Rows or Pull ups are important for it...I wait for Rodja now, I already told yah my POV that training biceps will NOT lead to a bigger row OR pull up at all (which is your argument, that it is the weakest link in those ones)...My point is that elbow flexors (as the Brachioradialis) are the ones helping out there more than anything, and the biceps is just part of the move and not essential to contributing in the power of the move...

    What I mean to say, (for example) if you train calves, have HUGE calves, and also can do 500lb calf raises (exaggerated a bit...) does it make you go up like 10-20-30lbs on your Squat...? Just wondering...
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep
  19. Advanced Member
    TexasGuy's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  238 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    796
    Rep Power
    188234

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post
    Chin ups/pull ups work the same muscle groups, my understanding is that the hand grip is inefficient for maximal force production from the bicep but they are still a necessary muscle to complete the lift.

    You've said it yourself cel, a bigger muscle has the potential to be a stronger muscle. Therefore a larger bicep will be stronger and will help with pulling more weight (rowing not deadlifting)

    And my point on the big three still stands. Just because there is no powerlifting federation for rows or pullups does not mean they are not a very necessary, ie major, lift.
    Not to mention "impressive" isn't contained within powerlifting. Moving heavy weight is impressive, and heavy is relative to a lift.

    A heavy bench is a weak squat but a 400 pound bench is impressive, as a bench press.

    If some one can curl 160 pounds, clean, that is ****ing impressive.

    Lou Ferrigno repping 100 lb dumbell incline curls for a pump in Pumping Iron is ****ing impressive.

    Letting someone else tell you what lifts are impressive based on one particular sports demands is weak.

    And curls hit the brachialis and brachii, and yes, the stronger the curl, the better virtually any pulling lift will be. The upper arm is typically the weak link for rows, pullups/downs et cetera. The larger the strength capacity of the upper back, the bigger deadlift capacity and strong biceps assist in building a strong upper back. Hell, a strong upper back lends itself to a stronger squat, bench and overhead press too.

    Strongman is more impressive than powerlifting anyways and you can bet strong biceps help lift stones, pull trucks... highland caber toss...


    A strong bicep will help prevent bicepital tendonitis in the shoulder, various types of elbow tendonitis and can prevent the bicep from rupturing during a heavy deadlift.

    And a big lift is a big lift, regardless of some arbitrary sanction.
  20. Elite Member
    Celorza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    9,552
    Rep Power
    2428707

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasGuy View Post
    Not to mention "impressive" isn't contained within powerlifting. Moving heavy weight is impressive, and heavy is relative to a lift.

    A heavy bench is a weak squat but a 400 pound bench is impressive, as a bench press.

    If some one can curl 160 pounds, clean, that is ****ing impressive.

    Lou Ferrigno repping 100 lb dumbell incline curls for a pump in Pumping Iron is ****ing impressive.

    Letting someone else tell you what lifts are impressive based on one particular sports demands is weak.

    And curls hit the brachialis and brachii, and yes, the stronger the curl, the better virtually any pulling lift will be. The upper arm is typically the weak link for rows, pullups/downs et cetera. The larger the strength capacity of the upper back, the bigger deadlift capacity and strong biceps assist in building a strong upper back. Hell, a strong upper back lends itself to a stronger squat, bench and overhead press too.

    Strongman is more impressive than powerlifting anyways and you can bet strong biceps help lift stones, pull trucks... highland caber toss...


    A strong bicep will help prevent bicepital tendonitis in the shoulder, various types of elbow tendonitis and can prevent the bicep from rupturing during a heavy deadlift.

    And a big lift is a big lift, regardless of some arbitrary sanction.
    So you are saying that bigger Brachii and bigger Brachialis leads to better pulls in ALL plains? and ANY Kind of pull ?
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep
  21. Advanced Member
    TexasGuy's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  238 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    796
    Rep Power
    188234

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Well this thread is moving quick.
  22. Advanced Member
    TexasGuy's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  238 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    796
    Rep Power
    188234

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Celorza View Post
    So you are saying that bigger Brachii and bigger Brachialis leads to better pulls in ALL plains? and ANY Kind of pull ?
    You can read my post again if you need reinforcement.
  23. Elite Member
    Celorza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    9,552
    Rep Power
    2428707

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasGuy View Post
    You can read my post again if you need reinforcement.
    Haha no need it was a rhetoric question . I always enjoy your contribution to threads!
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep
  24. Advanced Member
    TexasGuy's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  238 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    796
    Rep Power
    188234

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Celorza View Post
    Haha no need it was a rhetoric question . I always enjoy your contribution to threads!
    Good! Quit trolling and you might learn something.
  25. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,002
    Rep Power
    917966

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post
    Your arguing over nothing. I am not making any point as to which muscle is more important in the lift, I am merely stating that they are an important mover for those movements.

    Weak biceps will lead to a weak pullup or row. As they say, you are only as strong as your weakest link.

    Take for example your precious DL (because it is more important than everything to you because its part of PLing). With a weak grip your DL will suffer, they may not be primary movers in the lift but they are definitely limiting factors.

    The fact of the matter is that if one part of the chain is weak then the entire chain is weak.
    As someone who makes endless jokes about my lack of bicep volume (I maybe do 4-5 sets a month), I can tell you for a fact that they are not a limiting factor on rows. I've been cranking out sets of 20 with the 145s for quite some time all while never increasing bicep volume or making an attempt to strengthen them. All-in-all, the biceps have very limited usefulness as a group unless you have heavy arm activity (e.g. pitchers).
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  26. Elite Member
    Celorza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    9,552
    Rep Power
    2428707

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    As someone who makes endless jokes about my lack of bicep volume (I maybe do 4-5 sets a month), I can tell you for a fact that they are not a limiting factor on rows. I've been cranking out sets of 20 with the 145s for quite some time all while never increasing bicep volume or making an attempt to strengthen them. All-in-all, the biceps have very limited usefulness as a group unless you have heavy arm activity (e.g. pitchers).
    I had been waiting for this, thanks a lot Rodja!

    Wrestlers (grapplers) might need Bicep strength too, I believe Jason mentioned it too...Just talked to a buddy of mine to check that, and yeah he does feel he gets a better hold if he has stronger elbow flexion but yeah other than that nope.

    Also, what's your take on needing to train biceps for bigger pull ups?
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep
  27. Elite Member
    Danb2285's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  217 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    6,378
    Rep Power
    5892100

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Subbed
    Purus labs Rep
    doin it mountain dog style in here come along for the shred fest-http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/229302-danbs-mountain-dog.html
  28. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,002
    Rep Power
    917966

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Celorza View Post
    I had been waiting for this, thanks a lot Rodja!

    Wrestlers (grapplers) might need Bicep strength too, I believe Jason mentioned it too...Just talked to a buddy of mine to check that, and yeah he does feel he gets a better hold if he has stronger elbow flexion but yeah other than that nope.

    Also, what's your take on needing to train biceps for bigger pull ups?
    Curls wouldn't help much for wrestlers as there's a lot of isometric in the clinch that won't be improved with a curl. For pullups, it would depend on the grip being utilized, but, again, we're looking at limited carryover.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  29. Board Supporter
    jimbuick's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,191
    Rep Power
    6705997

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    I'm not sure about the biceps (or more specifically elbow flexors) contribute to rows or pullups,
    Quote Originally Posted by Celorza View Post

    Jason doesn't seem to think Rows or Pull ups are important for it...I wait for Rodja now, I already told yah my POV that training biceps will NOT lead to a bigger row OR pull up at all (which is your argument, that it is the weakest link in those ones)...My point is that elbow flexors (as the Brachioradialis) are the ones helping out there more than anything, and the biceps is just part of the move and not essential to contributing in the power of the move...

    What I mean to say, (for example) if you train calves, have HUGE calves, and also can do 500lb calf raises (exaggerated a bit...) does it make you go up like 10-20-30lbs on your Squat...? Just wondering...
    You forget your reading glasses? He said he wasn't sure the elbow flexors (not just biceps) and then you use his statement to validate your comments about the elbow flexors being the main assistance....

    Also, I was unaware of the calves having any function that is even remotely similar to that of the biceps. What major joint of the leg do they flex again (as the biceps are elbow flexors, which is a fairly important joint in the upper extremity)

    Apples to oranges with that comparison brother. But I forgot you do know it all, so why argue?
  30. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,002
    Rep Power
    917966

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post
    You forget your reading glasses? He said he wasn't sure the elbow flexors (not just biceps) and then you use his statement to validate your comments about the elbow flexors being the main assistance....

    Also, I was unaware of the calves having any function that is even remotely similar to that of the biceps. What major joint of the leg do they flex again (as the biceps are elbow flexors, which is a fairly important joint in the upper extremity)

    Apples to oranges with that comparison brother. But I forgot you do know it all, so why argue?
    The calves do play a role in knee flexion.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  31. Elite Member
    Celorza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    9,552
    Rep Power
    2428707

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post
    You forget your reading glasses? He said he wasn't sure the elbow flexors (not just biceps) and then you use his statement to validate your comments about the elbow flexors being the main assistance....

    Also, I was unaware of the calves having any function that is even remotely similar to that of the biceps. What major joint of the leg do they flex again (as the biceps are elbow flexors, which is a fairly important joint in the upper extremity)

    Apples to oranges with that comparison brother. But I forgot you do know it all, so why argue?
    ' apples to oranges was your grip comparison too...Grip is essential for any discipline, unlike Mr. Bicep here who is being put on the stand of usefulness...

    Now can you please not get heated up? I am actually trying to argue here in a normal matter...you have your point I have mine, and the experts chime in and out...why make this the "you know it all , why argue?" comment...it's a discussion Jim...
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep
  32. Board Supporter
    jimbuick's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,191
    Rep Power
    6705997

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Cool. I can admit that I am wrong, although I find it hard to believe that rowing movements do not work the biceps (seeing as the general consensus on these boards is that excessive volume for biceps is not necessary because of the work they get during pulling.movements)

    But I know that Jason and Rodja both have significantly more knowledge and experience than I do on the topic.

    I concede defeat oh mighty one as I am here to learn, not to throw the small amount (in comparison to others) in everyone elses face.
  33. Elite Member
    Celorza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    9,552
    Rep Power
    2428707

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post
    Cool. I can admit that I am wrong, although I find it hard to believe that rowing movements do not work the biceps (seeing as the general consensus on these boards is that excessive volume for biceps is not necessary because of the work they get during pulling.movements)

    But I know that Jason and Rodja both have significantly more knowledge and experience than I do on the topic.

    I concede defeat oh mighty one as I am here to learn, not to throw the small amount (in comparison to others) in everyone elses face.
    ' wow that was mature...we were just arguing and I learned something here too...the fact that it does have (albeit little) carryover, and the fact that Ryan and Jason pointed out...that certain sports DO need biceps, so I was wrong too here Jim...
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep
  34. Board Supporter
    jimbuick's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,191
    Rep Power
    6705997

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post

    The calves do play a role in knee flexion.
    Hmm interesting.

    I was under the impression (apparently false) that the hamstrings were the primary knee flexors.

    How large of a role is it that the calves play in that?
  35. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,002
    Rep Power
    917966

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post
    Cool. I can admit that I am wrong, although I find it hard to believe that rowing movements do not work the biceps (seeing as the general consensus on these boards is that excessive volume for biceps is not necessary because of the work they get during pulling.movements)

    But I know that Jason and Rodja both have significantly more knowledge and experience than I do on the topic.

    I concede defeat oh mighty one as I am here to learn, not to throw the small amount (in comparison to others) in everyone elses face.
    It depends on your definition of work versus involved. I would say that they're involved, but not that they really work the biceps.

    Calves don't play a huge role in knee flexion, but they are a two-joint muscle group.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  36. Elite Member
    Danb2285's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  217 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    6,378
    Rep Power
    5892100

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post

    It depends on your definition of work versus involved. I would say that they're involved, but not that they really work the biceps.

    Calves don't play a huge role in knee flexion, but they are a two-joint muscle group.
    Soo what your saying is rows do involve biceps...and curls work biceps. So wouldn't in turn curls have a direct affect on rows then? Not being a smart ass just genuinely confused at whos arguing what now lol
    Purus labs Rep
    doin it mountain dog style in here come along for the shred fest-http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/229302-danbs-mountain-dog.html
  37. Diamond Member
    Sean1332's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    11,315
    Rep Power
    2311443

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Out of a simple "yes or no answered" thread I just learned a crap load. Though I have zero scientific backing, I very rarely work biceps and it has not hindered my ability to progress in all pulling movements.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  38. Elite Member
    Celorza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    9,552
    Rep Power
    2428707

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    Out of a simple "yes or no answered" thread I just learned a crap load. Though I have zero scientific backing, I very rarely work biceps and it has not hindered my ability to progress in all pulling movements.
    I can say the same for that last bit too, my rows have gone up the same with or without direct bicep training. My Bi's haven't grown though, but I don't really want them to haha.
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep
  39. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,002
    Rep Power
    917966

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Danb2285 View Post
    Soo what your saying is rows do involve biceps...and curls work biceps. So wouldn't in turn curls have a direct affect on rows then? Not being a smart ass just genuinely confused at his arguing what now lol
    You would think so by that logic, but most do not put enough emphasis on horizontal extension to see dividends. The biceps are a secondary mover and are most likely not going to be the weak point in the movement. I have yet to see someone whose weak point in pullups/rows is the biceps.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  40. Board Supporter
    jimbuick's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,191
    Rep Power
    6705997

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    Out of a simple "yes or no answered" thread I just learned a crap load. Though I have zero scientific backing, I very rarely work biceps and it has not hindered my ability to progress in all pulling movements.
    My main argument to this point is the pulling movements work the bicep (because I can't understand how they are involved in the movement but not worked by it) so when you do your pulling motions you're still training the bicep.

    Which is what I thought the reasoning behind telling people to lower total arm volume (isolation) because it could stress the recovery of those smaller muscles that are already stressed in pulling/pushing motions.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. What do you guys think?
    By sifu in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-16-2003, 01:04 PM
  2. what do you guys think of this?
    By WiNgS in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-09-2003, 03:29 PM
  3. Starting This Tomorrow, what do you guys think?
    By babygetoboy in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-23-2003, 03:36 PM
  4. What do you guys think of Hammerstrength?
    By BigVrunga in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-31-2003, 12:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in