Ice bath benifical after leg routins

Bigcountry08

Bigcountry08

Awards
  • Established
I read a few years back in an MD article that ice baths after your leg routin, help to reduce inflamation and muscle soreness. So ever since I have been doing it after each leg routin, and it seems to help. I also drink about a quart of water pre workout and a quart of poweraid during to reduce cramps, which I get very easily.

Last week I decided that my legs didnt feel like they hurt that bad so I decided to skip the bath. two days after and it took me a full minute just to get out of my car. Im a chef so I move around on my feet a lot at work so I really can't afford to be "crippled" 4 out of my 7 days.

So I was just wondering does has anyone else tried ice baths, have they worked for you, and do you think they slow muscle growth at all?

barlush23

Awards
I read a few years back in an MD article that ice baths after your leg routin, help to reduce inflamation and muscle soreness. So ever since I have been doing it after each leg routin, and it seems to help. I also drink about a quart of water pre workout and a quart of poweraid during to reduce cramps, which I get very easily.

Last week I decided that my legs didnt feel like they hurt that bad so I decided to skip the bath. two days after and it took me a full minute just to get out of my car. Im a chef so I move around on my feet a lot at work so I really can't afford to be "crippled" 4 out of my 7 days.

So I was just wondering does has anyone else tried ice baths, have they worked for you, and do you think they slow muscle growth at all?
I don't know, but I would rather just be sore for a day.

Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Darren McFadden and some NFL linemen do this as part of their training. Saw it on HBO or ESPN a while back. I think the theory was that the cold bath would force the blood back into the muscles to saturate them for 10-15 minutes. A lot of athletes would be in a "cold spa" or just wade into waist high cold water to force the blood into the exercised tissue.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Darren McFadden and some NFL linemen do this as part of their training. Saw it on HBO or ESPN a while back. I think the theory was that the cold bath would force the blood back into the muscles to saturate them for 10-15 minutes. A lot of athletes would be in a "cold spa" or just wade into waist high cold water to force the blood into the exercised tissue.
Its the exact opposite. The cold water constricts blood vessels and pulls the blood out of the legs. With that change in pressure, more fluid is absorbed from the interstitial spaces (space between muscles and blood vessels), and that also increases the absorption of metabolites and inflammatory cytokines.

There's really not a lot of research to support its effects on performance the next day (physiologically) but most studies seem to point towards a psychological effect.

If your goal is hypertrophy, though, the inflammation due to exercise is actually needed to mediate adaptation, so an ice bath might not be the best bet. Instead, you can lie with your legs above heart level for 5-10 minutes.

Br

Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks for clearing that up; I was going off a program I half watched years ago and couldn't remember the explanation. I remember the images of the athletes freaking out more than the reason why they subjected themselves to that pain!

domore

Awards
Its the exact opposite. The cold water constricts blood vessels and pulls the blood out of the legs. With that change in pressure, more fluid is absorbed from the interstitial spaces (space between muscles and blood vessels), and that also increases the absorption of metabolites and inflammatory cytokines.

There's really not a lot of research to support its effects on performance the next day (physiologically) but most studies seem to point towards a psychological effect.

If your goal is hypertrophy, though, the inflammation due to exercise is actually needed to mediate adaptation, so an ice bath might not be the best bet. Instead, you can lie with your legs above heart level for 5-10 minutes.

Br
During my college ball days, ice baths during camp and season, but we we're told to suck it up during off season training.

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
I can't endorse ice baths, I've found that foam rolling works wonders for DOMS following leg days. Roll around on your quads, glutes and hammies for about 10 minutes after your routine and see if that works for you.

If you have access to a foam roller, that is.

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

So does high-intensity cardio 3-4 times per week. Especially sprint intervals.

Oh, and stretching the fascia in between each set also does wonders at reducing DOMS over the next 48 hours. but when I say stretch..I really mean STRETCH the fascia. Its uncomfortable during the workout but it makes a huge difference afterwards. Plus the pumps are much better.

Bigcountry08

Bigcountry08

Awards
  • Established
I sit in heros pose between sets to stretch out my quads, helps to keep them from cramping up.

hardwork25

hardwork25

Awards
It works. Played college ball and during two a days or heavy work days there were literally 25 trash cans after practice full of "ice baths" hated doing them, but my body was "new" everyday.

Not sure of the exact science but every professional organization and in every training room it's common practice.

Sucks butt but keep doing them, your body will thank you.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It works. Played college ball and during two a days or heavy work days there were literally 25 trash cans after practice full of "ice baths" hated doing them, but my body was "new" everyday.

Not sure of the exact science but every professional organization and in every training room it's common practice.

Sucks butt but keep doing them, your body will thank you.
Reduces inflammation by decreasing blood flow, fascilitates the return of fluid from the space between muscle cells back into circulation, helps clear our metabolites and inflammatory cytokines.

Think of it almost like icing a sprained ankle, except in this case it is microtrauma vs. macrotrauma.

And like I stated earlier, I think for recovery purposes and training frequently it is a good tool. But for pure hypertrophy you might want to do something less agressive like a good warm down and lying with your legs up for a while, as inflammation (acute, local, moderate...not systemic and chronic) is a signal for protein synthesis and stem cell differentiation.

Br

hardwork25

hardwork25

Awards
Reduces inflammation by decreasing blood flow, fascilitates the return of fluid from the space between muscle cells back into circulation, helps clear our metabolites and inflammatory cytokines.

Think of it almost like icing a sprained ankle, except in this case it is microtrauma vs. macrotrauma.

And like I stated earlier, I think for recovery purposes and training frequently it is a good tool. But for pure hypertrophy you might want to do something less agressive like a good warm down and lying with your legs up for a while, as inflammation (acute, local, moderate...not systemic and chronic) is a signal for protein synthesis and stem cell differentiation.

Br

I would agree on doing something maybe less aggressive. Not sure an ice bath is needed after a heavy leg day as some preventive measure's you suggested go a long way. Thanks for the info.