Resistance bands solo - AnabolicMinds.com

Resistance bands solo

  1. Elite Member
    rob112's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5,293
    Answers
    1
    Rep Power
    333192

    Resistance bands solo


    Got a little extra money and was thinking of adding some resistance bands to the gym bag. My only concern is I workout solo. You guys think it would be safe to set up and do say squats and bench solo with bands? My concern since I haven't used them is honestly unracking and getting into position. I would be using dumbbells as anchors.

    Thanks guys

    Sent from my iPhone using Am.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/231713-rob112-3-means.html
    "Train like a beast, think like a human"-RTS

  2. The BPS Rep
    jimbuick's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,178
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    6662075

    Quote Originally Posted by rob112 View Post
    Got a little extra money and was thinking of adding some resistance bands to the gym bag. My only concern is I workout solo. You guys think it would be safe to set up and do say squats and bench solo with bands? My concern since I haven't used them is honestly unracking and getting into position. I would be using dumbbells as anchors.

    Thanks guys

    Sent from my iPhone using Am.com
    Just as safe as working out with no bands.

    Although I've never used DB's as anchors I generally attach them to the rack.
    BPS Rep
    *All posts are solely the opinions of myself and do not reflect the opinions of BPS*
    www.bpsnutrition.net

    Subscribe to the BPS VIP List for inside information on new products, promos, and introductory offers!
  3. Elite Member
    rob112's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5,293
    Answers
    1
    Rep Power
    333192

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick

    Just as safe as working out with no bands.

    Although I've never used DB's as anchors I generally attach them to the rack.
    I guess I'm picturing too much tension at the top that moving into position would be hard. I am thinking db's bc I workout at a commercial gym and I don't thing all the racks have pegs to set up too.

    Thanks man

    Sent from my iPhone using Am.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/231713-rob112-3-means.html
    "Train like a beast, think like a human"-RTS
    •   
       

  4. The BPS Rep
    jimbuick's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,178
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    6662075

    Quote Originally Posted by rob112 View Post

    I guess I'm picturing too much tension at the top that moving into position would be hard. I am thinking db's bc I workout at a commercial gym and I don't thing all the racks have pegs to set up too.

    Thanks man

    Sent from my iPhone using Am.com
    As long as its weight you can handle it should be no different than when you unrack regularly.
    BPS Rep
    *All posts are solely the opinions of myself and do not reflect the opinions of BPS*
    www.bpsnutrition.net

    Subscribe to the BPS VIP List for inside information on new products, promos, and introductory offers!
  5. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    22,966
    Answers
    6
    Rep Power
    917951

    As long as you calculate the resistance at the top accurately and can handle that load, you should be fine. The problem with bans is that most people use too thick of a band. For most people, mini and monster mini bands are going to be more than enough.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  6. Elite Member
    rob112's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5,293
    Answers
    1
    Rep Power
    333192

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja
    As long as you calculate the resistance at the top accurately and can handle that load, you should be fine. The problem with bans is that most people use too thick of a band. For most people, mini and monster mini bands are going to be more than enough.
    Those are exactly what I was thinking of getting. Thanks for the input man.

    Sent from my iPhone using Am.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/231713-rob112-3-means.html
    "Train like a beast, think like a human"-RTS
  7. Advanced Member
    Invycktus's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  161 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    811
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    268231

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    As long as you calculate the resistance at the top accurately and can handle that load, you should be fine. The problem with bans is that most people use too thick of a band. For most people, mini and monster mini bands are going to be more than enough.
    Rodja , these bands you speak of are these the standard SPRI Xertube bands with handles or a different kind of monster or mini monster bands?
    MEM->DCA->PHL->MEM
  8. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    22,966
    Answers
    6
    Rep Power
    917951

    Quote Originally Posted by Invycktus View Post
    Rodja , these bands you speak of are these the standard SPRI Xertube bands with handles or a different kind of monster or mini monster bands?
    They don't have handles.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  9. Senior Member
    aceroni's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,690
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    1098664

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    As long as you calculate the resistance at the top accurately and can handle that load, you should be fine. The problem with bans is that most people use too thick of a band. For most people, mini and monster mini bands are going to be more than enough.
    Are you referring to bench?
    Have you ever used to onyx bands? Those guys aren't a joke
  10. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    22,966
    Answers
    6
    Rep Power
    917951

    Quote Originally Posted by aceroni View Post
    Are you referring to bench?
    Have you ever used to onyx bands? Those guys aren't a joke
    For any of them. The onyx bands are a lineup with varying thicknesses and resistances. The thickest bands I've ever used are the average ones on deadlifts and those were way too much for me. Even the lights are pushing it for most people.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  11. On my grind
    3clipseGT's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  182 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,963
    Answers
    1
    Rep Power
    1141117

    Re: Resistance bands solo


    John Meadows has a package of bands at Elite FTS that has a good variety for anything you might need.
    E-Pharm Rep... PM me with any questions or concerns
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. resistance bands
    By tnubs in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-23-2010, 06:13 AM
  2. The real deal on resistance bands....
    By 1wickd6 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-04-2009, 05:25 PM
  3. Resistance bands on pressing movements
    By rxp1997 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-04-2008, 09:11 PM
  4. Workout Resistance Bands??
    By Hollidae in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-02-2008, 11:00 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-18-2007, 09:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in