Shoulder bone peak (acromion) injury

AllNatural

Awards
Hi. My second post here. I did a search with "Acromion" which seems to be the proper term for the bone peak where the Delts meet the Traps. Didn't find anything.

Yesterday I was doing heavy upright rowings, 3-5 reps. It is my first time in 10 years training that I go with such low reps. Towards the very end, I felt something pull at my right-hand side acromion. A very slight pain.

Right after that happened, I put the weight down and felt that little bony bump. Except it isn't a rounded bump anymore, it is now split in the middle by a 1/8" wide crack... Or so it seems.

I finished my delt training with some "Larry Scott Dumbell Presses" (a modified military press) - with no problem. Then I did triceps, no problem either.

Is this possible? With nearly no pain? WTF? Again today there is a very small pain when I raise my arm overhead at some angle, but just about nothing. Can this be dangerous?

I know you will recommend the obvious : go see a doctor. Of course, but beyond that, have any of you guys had something similar?

Your thoughts are welcome.

Here is the dictionary definition of that word, so that we all know what I'm talking about.

Acromion: The projection of the scapula (the shoulder blade) that forms the point of the shoulder.

The acromion is part of the scapula. It protrudes laterally (away from the midline) and is triangular in shape. The top of the shoulder is acromial. The word "acromion" comes from the Greek "akron", peak + "omos", shoulder = the peak of the shoulder.

vafla

Awards
there's no way you broke youre acromion without ripping your supraspinatus/corcohumoral/biceps tendon. unless its a stress fructure. upright rows are recipe for impingement which is probably what you did.

judge-mental

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
yes, yes, and over time impingement will become impingement syndrom so yes

skoal

Awards
Definitely drop the upright rows. Some guys swear by them but you're trying to roate the shoulder while looking it into a particular plan of motion. An MRI wouldn't be a bad idea to see what is really going on in the shoulder. Get as much real information as you can so you can make an informed decision on how to proceed. Or you can get a lot of advice based on very little information and take a chance. It's your shoulder but I know I've kind of grown used to having mine around.