VISUALIZE FOR SIZE!
Very few people consider the role of the mind when it comes to training effectively. Most trainees are very careful to make sure they get in their pre-workout meal at a specific time, as well as their glutamine, creatine, BCAA’s, NO2, and stimulants. Some go so far as to make time for a nap before they train so they can wake up refreshed and ready to hit the weights. And don’t get me wrong…all of those things are critical to optimizing your time in the gym. However, if you truly wish to realize your “intensity potential,” then its time you start using visualization. This is a tried and true technique that is used by many top athletes to bring about their best performance on game day. You too can use it to bring about your best performance in the gym. It is easy to do, and only takes a few minutes. I believe that the best time to use visualization is before you go to sleep at night (to optimize the following day’s workout), and/or right before you take a pre-workout nap. Visualization can also be used while at the gym, right before performing a lift that you particularly want to improve upon. Ok, so now that you think you might want to try and VISUALIZE for SIZE, you are probably saying, “So what do I have to do?” Below is how I like to approach visualization, but with practice you might find other unique ways to enhance the experience.
1. Relax. Lie down. Close your eyes. Breathe deeply. Clear your mind and calm your body.
2. Picture yourself in the gym. See the weights, the machines and the people. Hear the music, sense the intensity and even smell the perspiration in the air.
3. See yourself how you wish to be. Bigger…harder…stronger…more vascular
4. Think about each lift you will be performing and picture the perfect set. See a record weight on the bar and feel the iron in your hands. Imagine yourself lifting it with ease, as if it were no heavier than a feather.
5. Experience the burn and incredible pump the workout will give you, and the tremendous satisfaction it will bring about.
Pre-program your mind for success and your body will follow.